MDX belt, pumps, etc - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

MDX belt, pumps, etc

I am looking to buy a 2006 MDX. What I'm looking for is a bunch of info and what I should be looking for. I know there are all kinds of parts that should be replaced at certain times and all kinds of service that should be done.

I know it can depend on a number of things such as mileage, use, ect. Let's just assume it's between 80-100k miles.

What I've found thus far is:
-transmission (does it need to be rebuilt?)
-engine mounts
-timing belt
-water pump
-torque converter
-software update
-carrier baring
-oil pump

What else?

How do I figure out if the things I mentioned above and the things you will mention should be replaced?

Thx!
tufa4311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

MDX belt, pumps, etc

How about a little reading of the owners manual?
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...606MAINIXA.pdf

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

[QUOTE=boston;530785]How about a little reading of the owners manual?
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...606MAINIXA.pdf

Ok, I feel I've now done some due diligence on my own, reviewed the manual, did some online research, etc. Got some questions answered, others not. There a few things I've confirmed to look at around 100k miles:

Already mention in the manual:
timing belt, water pump, drive belts,

Not mentioned in the manual:
engine mounts, compressor belt, power steering belt, tensioner, torque converter, carrier baring, oil pump

I am seeking any comments on the things I listed that were not mentioned in the manual.

Most importantly I am looking for things that would be expensive in terms of parts or labor (like a timing belt would be). For example, the one I am looking at notes that the timing belt has been replaced but not the water pump - which from my research is weird. I believe the entire engine has to be removed for both of these things thus they are usually done at the same time.

I am looking at a 2006 MDX with 108k miles on it.

Thx

Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think you are trying to differentiate between routine suggested maintenance items and major unexpected repairs. In both cases, a 2006 MDX with 108k miles will be a better bet than most vehicles. If you are overly concerned about the cost to maintain and repair an older vehicle, then do not buy one. Your questions show that you know very little (not a put-down, just fact) about car repairs so you will be paying for all work to be done. Hopefully you have a local indie garage which is honest and capable. If you plan to have work done at an Acura dealer, your costs will be sky high. Dealers have made up-selling unnecessary work an art form and you are a perfect victim. If you think the the engine has to be removed to change the TB, a dealer will be able to convince you to do almost anything.
artbuc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbuc View Post
I think you are trying to differentiate between routine suggested maintenance items and major unexpected repairs. In both cases, a 2006 MDX with 108k miles will be a better bet than most vehicles. If you are overly concerned about the cost to maintain and repair an older vehicle, then do not buy one. Your questions show that you know very little (not a put-down, just fact) about car repairs so you will be paying for all work to be done. Hopefully you have a local indie garage which is honest and capable. If you plan to have work done at an Acura dealer, your costs will be sky high. Dealers have made up-selling unnecessary work an art form and you are a perfect victim. If you think the the engine has to be removed to change the TB, a dealer will be able to convince you to do almost anything.
So the engine does not need to be removed? If that is the case is it still not expensive to replace the timing belt or water pump due to labor costs? Around $800?

Next, I'm not overly concerned about anything. I simply want to know what I am buying and what may need to be done with it. After I did my research I still had questions - I believe that is what this board if for.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Of the items on your list, only the TB would definitely need to be replaced as part of a routine preventive maintenance program. I would install a new drive belt at the same time. Some people like to replace the WP at every TB change but most would say that is overkill. Any part can fail at any time, but the odds are strongly in your favor that the WP will last at least as long as every other TB change. The chances of the other items failing are quite low and should not be replaced just for prevention.

I believe the most important maintenance is fluid replacement. Depending on the car's service history, you may want to do all of the fluids - brake, coolant, PS, rear differential, transfer case and AT (3x drain/fill). I would use Honda OEM fluids everywhere except for brake and transfer case where aftermarket stuff is perfectly ok. Also, if the brakes are original, you will need new ones soon. Probably need new struts within the next few years too.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just follow the schedule in the manual. All others may not be necessary, just profit for dealers. I have 2 92 Honda Accords, never replaced water pump, tensioner, or other stuff the dealer "recommends" to replace when doing the the TB. Because it's not in the manual. Why the dealer recommends to do those things, hmm, go figure.

Not sure why you worry about tranny rebuild or engine mount. Just make sure the car is ok before you buy. Those items are "fix it when it's bad" stuff.
2008 BMW 750Li
2003 MDX Navi
2000 Sienna LX
1992 Accord EX, 205k, Strong
1992 Accord LX, 226k, Strong, Retired, Parting Out
1988 Camry, Sold
1982 Accord, Sold
1978 Toronado, Junked
richkuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok, I think I'm going to go for it. Based on the comments here I feel good enough. I have the service record history, all service was done at the same Acura dealership and it follows the schedule on the manual. I'll have my MDX next weekend. Thx all.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

transmission

Hi guys,

Ok, I'm finalizing the financing for the 2006 MDX I'm getting and of course the bank is trying to sell me extra warranties with it. They are offering a $35/month warranty that will cover me for 12 months or 12k miles. In addition to a bunch of other stuff it covers the transmission:

Transmission, Transaxle, and Transfer Case (4x4 / AWD).All internally lubricated parts. Drive shaft/U joint, torque converter,
and transmission mounts. Case housings are covered if damaged by
the failure of an internally lubricated part.

Personally I'm thinking no. That said I do not have mechanic abilities by any stretch of the imagination so I'm seeking help.

What do you think?

Everything it covers:
Engine Group
All internally lubricated parts. Crankshaft and bearings, oil pump,
fuel pump, diesel injection pump, internal timing gears or chain/belt,
camshaft, camshaft bearings, valve lifters, rocker arm assemblies and
push rods, valve guides, pistons and rings, wrist pins, connecting rods,
exhaust manifold, motor mounts and distributor drive gear. The
engine block and cylinder heads are covered if damage is caused by
mechanical failure of an internally lubricated part.
Engine (Rotary)
All of the above listed parts plus rotors, rotor seals, rotor chamber,
eccentric shaft and bearings.
Turbocharger/Supercharger
Factory installed turbocharger or supercharger, including housing, and
all internal parts.
Transmission, Transaxle, and Transfer Case (4x4 / AWD)
All internally lubricated parts. Drive shaft/U joint, torque converter,
and transmission mounts. Case housings are covered if damaged by
the failure of an internally lubricated part.
Drive Axle Group (Front or Rear)
Drive axle housing including pinion bearings, side carrier bearings,
ring and pinion gears, carrier assembly, thrust washers, axles, axle
bearings, constant velocity joints, internal transaxle seal, and drive
axle housing, if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated part.
Seals and Gaskets
Seals and gaskets are covered when replaced in conjunction with a
covered failure, or if the “Seals and Gaskets Coverage” option has been
selected and the covered vehicle has less than 125,000 miles at contract
purchase date, failed seals and gaskets for covered components will be
replaced. Minor loss of fluid or seepage is considered normal and is not
considered a failure.
Brake Group
Master cylinder, power brake cylinder, vacuum assist booster, hydro
boost, disc brake caliper, wheel cylinders, compensating valve, metal
brake hydraulic lines and fittings. The following ABS Components are
covered: Hydraulic control unit, electronic control processor, wheel
speed sensors, hydraulic pump/motor assembly, pressure modulator
valve, isolation dump valve, and accumulator.
Front/Rear Suspension Group
Upper and lower control arms, control arm shafts and bearings or
bushings, upper and lower ball joints, radius arm and bushings, torsion
bars and mounts or bushings, stabilizer bars, links and bushings, struts,
strut bearing plates, shock absorbers, spindle and spindle support,
wheel bearings, and the following variable dampening suspension parts:
compressor, control module, actuator, solenoid, height sensor, and
mode selector switch.
Cooling Group
Engine cooling fan and motor, fan clutch, serpentine belt tensioner,
radiator, heater core, water pump, and thermostat.
Seals and Gaskets
This coverage option is included for covered components on Vehicles
with less than 125,000 miles at contract purchase date. Minor loss of
fluid or seepage is considered normal and is not considered a failure.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

$35/month for how many months? You may be one of the lucky few that comes out ahead, but the premiums for these warranties are set to make sure that on average, house comes out ahead.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbuc View Post
$35/month for how many months? You may be one of the lucky few that comes out ahead, but the premiums for these warranties are set to make sure that on average, house comes out ahead.
$35/month warranty that will cover me for 12 months or 12k miles
Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufa4311 View Post
$35/month warranty that will cover me for 12 months or 12k miles
I was not sure if you meant $35/ month over the life of the loan (which may be more than 12 months) to buy a 12 month warranty. In either event, I would not buy it.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

My 03 is about 120K now. Except the trans, nothing major needs care. I would say, I don't think you will have any of these items fail within 1 year.

And, I noticed the seals, it says "minor loss or seepage is normal". Ha ha ha, that's how seals fail. If not minor or seepage, what a seal failure can be? And, all the seals on my 03 are still holding so far.
proman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proman View Post
My 03 is about 120K now. Except the trans, nothing major needs care. I would say, I don't think you will have any of these items fail within 1 year.

And, I noticed the seals, it says "minor loss or seepage is normal". Ha ha ha, that's how seals fail. If not minor or seepage, what a seal failure can be? And, all the seals on my 03 are still holding so far.
Really! Have you ever heard anyone say they were glad they bought supplemental maintenance insurance? Ever? Basically a scam to take advantage of people who are not mechanically inclined or interested in learning about their car's maintenance needs.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proman View Post

+1

Seal is to prevent fluids from leaking. Once leaked, it failed. But normally the seal costs couple dollars, but to replace it costs hundreds. That's why the policy has exclusion. Basically it means "don't cover seal failure".

Don't recommend you to buy it.
2008 BMW 750Li
2003 MDX Navi
2000 Sienna LX
1992 Accord EX, 205k, Strong
1992 Accord LX, 226k, Strong, Retired, Parting Out
1988 Camry, Sold
1982 Accord, Sold
1978 Toronado, Junked
richkuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: