Parts/labor cost for serpentine belt and tensioner pulley? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Parts/labor cost for serpentine belt and tensioner pulley?

Does for $230 for replacing a serpentine belt and tensioner pulley seem high on a 2005 MDX? Seems a bit high given those two parts are probably $50-60 and I've read it's about half an hour of labor, maybe a full hour with both the pulley and belt. This independent shop already spent half an hour diagnosing the issue, which I've described in the following posts elsewhere:

Chirping sound at idle on cold days, increasing with RPMs - serpentine belt?

Serpentine belt screeching

Also thinking about the overall service he's provided to us - he spent an hour and a half fixing for free the rattling heat shields on both my and my wife's cars. He's also quoted me $240 for a two axle brake pad job, or $350 including 4 new rotors, which it sounds like he's not completely soaking me for.

Thoughts?
maxfischer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think you are underestimating the prices on the belt and pulley. Round here those parts are about 50-60 each.

I don't think it sounds too high. But if you can wrench on your own car, this is an easy fix.
jaygrooms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree, the belt from NAPA around here is about $33, but the Tensioner is just over $75.

Are you capable of doing the work your self?

If so I would put a new belt on and see if it is still squeaking. If it is then i would put the tensioner on it.

If I had to pay for it to be done I would just do them both at the same time, it will save on labor cost.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I guess on the price of the tensioner I was getting confused about just the wheel (which looks like an $18 part) and the tensioner mechanism which does look to be $75.

For the $150 in labor they seem to want to charge, will probably have them do it, but I think I'll see if I can take the belt off one cold morning to see if there is no noise.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfischer View Post
I'll see if I can take the belt off one cold morning to see if there is no noise.
With the belt off, there should not be any noises. The problem with that is you do not narrow anything down to a particular part being bad (Tensioner does not move when belt is off). So it could still be any one of the two that are bad.

If you can pull the belt, might as well just throw another one on anyways. You are going to be reinstalling a belt "old or new".
Old 02-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

FWIW, on our 2003, the two pulleys were only about $25 for both. I did not replace the entire tensioner assembly, but just replaced the two pulleys. Problem was the old pulleys seemed fine, and I still have the noise. The belt looked fine too, even after about 130,000 miles. I did not read your prior posts, but did you try belt dressing?
tom34diy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

OP here with an update. Ended up replacing the belt myself for $30 or so. With the belt off, the noise was still present on a cold morning start, and is still present with a new belt on. This makes me think it is not the belt nor the tensioner, and something else like the starter (which i've described in my other thread link above). Does this sound like the right conclusion - that it is not a serpentine belt / tensioner issue? I've attached a link to the sound at startup.

Thanks

Tensioner pulley? | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes, it sounds like the starter. You can read more about this common problem in these two topics - there's a video of the noise in the first topic:

Shriek on startup
2004 MDX engine metal screeching at start
Old 10-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

It was the starter - problem fixed. See my other thread:

Serpentine belt screeching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: