2011 MDX: Rear Differential Fluid & Transfer Case Fluid - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

2011 MDX: Rear Differential Fluid & Transfer Case Fluid

Greetings!

I believe the below information is worthy of a post and applies to 2011 MDX (during my search I found outdated and/or inaccurate information).

1. Transfer Case Fluid: Honda/Acura began offering an OEM fluid, HGO-1 (75w-85). The part #08200-9014a.

Note, as of January 2013, majority of the dealerships in the San Francisco, Bay Area Peninsula Region are not aware of the fluid and will recommend you to buy an off the shelf product. Additionally, one dealership advised they use an off the shelf brand for the transfer case service.

A few recommendations and overview of the process for anyone changing the fluid at home (a) The transfer case is where the driveshaft is connects towards the front end of the vehicle; (b) The drain plug is located on the bottom of the transfer case and requires a 3/8" ratchet for removal; (c) The fill plug is on the front side of the transfer case and requires a 3/8" ratchet for removal; (d) You will use less than a quart; (e) You want to use a pump or large syringe for refill; and (f) the part # of the washers are 90441-pk4-000.

2. Rear Differential Fluid: DPSF. The part #08200-9007a

Note, from my understanding pre 2007 MDX uses a different fluid. The fluid is readily available at the dealerships.

A few recommendations and overview of the process for anyone changing the fluid at home (a) The rear differential is located in front of the spare tire; (b) The drain plug is located on the bottom of the rear differential and requires a 3/8" ratchet for removal; (c) The fill plug is located on the backside of the rear differential and requires a 3/8" ratchet for removal; you will have enough room to remove and replace the drain plug without an extension; (d) You will use approximately 3 quarts; (e) You want to use a pump or large syringe for refill and may want to remove the spare tire, I personally did not; (f) the part # of the washers are 90471-px4-000 (drain) & 94109-20000 (fill).

As a personal preference, I will change the fluids on the lesser of an annual basis or 10,000 miles. The cost was about $50.00 for all fluids and washers (local dealership matched online prices).
Eric_Dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thank you!

-Drop Stop
-Opti-Guard
-OEM Roof Rails
-OEM Cross Bars
-OEM Rear Lower Trim
-OEM Front Lower Trim
-OEM Hood Air Deflector
-OEM Side Steps-Chrome
-Nokya H11 Hyper Yellow fogs
-WeatherTech FloorLiner™ DigitalFit® 3rd Row All Season Floor Mat
princelybug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
gup

Nice. What's the cheapest place to get these fluids?
gup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

2011 MDX: Rear Differential Fluid & Transfer Case Fluid

Good stuff

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Eric Dc2, thank you for the post. Can you post pics, if possible, of the transfer case and rear differential case drain and fill plugs.

thanks once again for the post.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Gup: I purchase fluids from any local dealership who matches online prices. I frequently use OEM Honda Parts & Honda Accessories - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories as a source for best available prices. Tim from oemacuraparts (forum sponsor I believe) provides the best prices on accessories and high dollar replacement parts.

Aucjmo22: Please provide your email address. This weekend, I will take a few pictures for you and email them directly. I do not desire to host the pictures, unless this forum offers direct hosting (I never tried).
Old 02-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Way easier to just buy off the shelf synthetic 75w85 gear fluid. As long as it meets Honda specs, who cares if it is labeled by Honda? I don't buy Honda motor oil. I use Pennzoil synthetic which is better than OEM. Probably reasonable to buy OEM trans fluid but I used Mobil One universal import synthetic automatic trans fluid and have had zero issues.
2005 Mitsubishi Evo VIII - built and tuned.
shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Aucjmo22,

I took pictures of the plugs. Provide your email address and I will send the pics to you.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by aucjmo22 View Post
Eric Dc2, thank you for the post. Can you post pics, if possible, of the transfer case and rear differential case drain and fill plugs.

thanks once again for the post.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Eric Dc2, I sent you a private message.

thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Aucjmo22, pics sent.

Thanks, Eric
Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
gup

I sent you a pm as well eric.
gup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 02:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Gup, I sent you an email responding to your questions and included requested pics
Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Can you please attach the pic to the post? I'm thinking of changing the transfer case fluid myself..
aznqtboy984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Per numerous requests pics attached (hopefully)
Attached Thumbnails
2011 MDX: Rear Differential Fluid & Transfer Case Fluid-image.jpeg   2011 MDX: Rear Differential Fluid & Transfer Case Fluid-image-1.jpeg   2011 MDX: Rear Differential Fluid & Transfer Case Fluid-image-2.jpeg   2011 MDX: Rear Differential Fluid & Transfer Case Fluid-image-3.jpeg   2011 MDX: Rear Differential Fluid & Transfer Case Fluid-image-4.jpeg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: