1st Oil Change, 2012 MDX - when and what oil? - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

My dad's 1995 Camry V6 just hit 450,000 miles original motor, and you know what oil he used? Plain ol' conventional oil changed every 7500 miles. Heck, I remember some times he would even go as far as 15,000 miles.

Now I'm not saying the MDX is the same, but honestly it doesn't hurt to follow the recommendation by the manufacturer.

I personally use Mobil 5W-20 full synthetic and just change with the maintenance minder, usually when it hits 10%.
symmetrical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

Looks like a typical CYA statement which is required by everyone these days. I've never seen any documented data that says you can't safely go longer between changes on a synthetic or blend. However, if you don't want to risk possibly voiding the warranty then you pretty much can't during warranty. Yes you have blends in 0W-20...I would treat them the same as the synthetic...certainly capable of much longer intervals. My personal limit of 10k is maintaining filter integrity. I think the oil itself could go much longer (particularly full synthetic) but the filters aren't necessarily designed for that long of a ride.

The odds of ruining an engine during warranty due to extended OCI are higher than hitting that powerball last week. But there's always a risk of a bum motor going out regardless...and that's what you have to worry about during the warranty. No doubt a manufacturer would love to find someone else at fault besides their shoddy production.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post
Now I'm not saying the MDX is the same, but honestly it doesn't hurt to follow the recommendation by the manufacturer.

Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
Looks like a typical CYA statement which is required by everyone these days.
So let's see... you claim that Honda requires synthetic oil for the Pilot, but that is clearly and convincingly disproved by quoting the wording in the owner's manual. So you try to bluff your way out by saying "If you don't have a conventional option...sounds like it's synthetic" when that isn't a true picture either.

Then you deny that oil manufacturers recommend changing synthetics using the interval recommended by the car manufacturer. This too is clearly and convincingly disproved by quoting the wording on the Mobil 1 website. So yet again, your statements are disproved by information that anyone can verify. So you try to bluff your way out by saying "oh it's a CYA statement".

Maybe you should just admit that you were wrong. It happens - everyone can be wrong once in a while. There's no shame in admitting it. Heck, I've done it myself (example). The only shame is when someone is obviously, indisputably wrong but absolutely refuses to admit it. Sometimes they even throw out distractions and bluffs with the hope that nobody will notice that what they said was wrong. Anything other than simply admitting they were wrong. Yeah, there are some people who are like that on the internet...
Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
Anything other than simply admitting they were rong. Yeah, there are some people who are like that on the internet...
You're right, I would never admit I'm wrong...particularly when I'm not. I do recommend finding information outside of a warranty booklet or the side of an oil bottle. Those companies tend to be more concerned with maximizing profits and minimizing litigation. But I'm sure a highly educated guy or gal like yourself clearly knows that.

However, you could use a little work in reading comprehension. I never said Honda requires synthetic....nor did I deny that oil companies were recommending oil changes in excess of the manufacturers recommendation. Nor did I recommend anyone go 10k miles on their MDX during warranty. Read it again. Maybe a couple times. I won't even try to force you to admit you're wrong because I'm a better guy than that.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
You're right, I would never admit I'm wrong...
Yes, we figured that out.

Quote:
I never said Honda requires synthetic....
Please don't lie to us. Anyone can read your previous posts and see where you said that. For example, here's the post that proves it, where you DID say exactly that:

Quote:
Honda has switched most of their vehicles to synthetic ('12 Pilot for example) .
Moving on to the next lie...

Quote:
nor did I deny that oil companies were recommending oil changes in excess of the manufacturers recommendation.
You got this statement backwards; what you denied is that oil companies were NOT recommending oil changes in excess of the manufacturer's recommendation. Again, please stop lying, because we can quote your previous post where you denied that:

Quote:
If the consumer synthetic market is pulling back on extended intervals, I haven't noticed it.
Moving on to the next lie...

Quote:
Nor did I recommend anyone go 10k miles on their MDX during warranty.
Yes, you did. You gave your advice, without any qualification that it only applies to cars not under warranty. Remember, we can all see exactly what you said:

Quote:
I prefer to run synthetic at 10k intervals just to go longer between service.
Your words, your advice, no mention of warranty.

I think you just set a record for this site for the most untrue statements made in a single two-paragraph post!

Seriously, this site needs people to post true, accurate, constructive, helpful information so that we can help each other to take care of our MDXs. It does a disservice to everyone when you post untrue information, just as it does a disservice to then deny that you had done so. If you can't post true, accurate, constructive, helpful information, you really shouldn't be posting here.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

"Quote: Originally Posted by skinny2 I prefer to run synthetic at 10k intervals just to go longer between service."
"I would never, never, NEVER do that, and never recommend doing that to anyone else." - Nsxtasy

Couldn't agree more!! I have a few buddies that have BMW's and their telling me "I only have to change it every 10-15". Unbelievable. So unhealthy for the engine, that's a NEVER. Heck, I even run synthetic in my lawnmower..
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
"Quote: Originally Posted by skinny2 I prefer to run synthetic at 10k intervals just to go longer between service."
"I would never, never, NEVER do that, and never recommend doing that to anyone else." - Nsxtasy

Couldn't agree more!! I have a few buddies that have BMW's and their telling me "I only have to change it every 10-15". Unbelievable. So unhealthy for the engine, that's a NEVER. Heck, I even run synthetic in my lawnmower..
I honestly don't believe going 10-15k will cause any real damage. It's those BMW people that say "I only have to change it once a year!" are the ones I'm worried about (one of my co-workers who swears by it.)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Seriously, this site needs people to post true, accurate, constructive, helpful information so that we can help each other to take care of our MDXs.
And apparently if anyone's opinion doesn't line up with yours....it's not constructive. Nice.

So let me help you with the reading comprehension part as you still don't seem to get it. Thanks for taking the time to re-post everything so this will make it easy.

-I said Honda switched the Pilot to synthetic. They're clearly shipping them from the factory with synthetic since even you admitted there's no conventional oil in 0W-20 which is a known fact. So where did I say they're requiring synthetic?

-Regarding the intervals....I clearly stated I haven't noticed they were pulling back from their extended intervals. I don't sit around reading oil bottles either. Clearly any vehicle that comes from the factory with synthetic has much longer OCI, and anyone with an ounce of engineering sense knows you can go longer with synthetics.

-My stating a preference to go 10k miles was perfectly legit in context...I would prefer the MDX come with synthetic so I could fully benefit from it. You inferred that I recommended going 10k with synthetic with the MDX...but as you can see, I never said that. My further posts even clarified i did not recommend extending the intervals during the warranty.

I don't think running behind everyone posting why they're wrong and posting some info out of a ten year old owners manual is particularly helpful either. Pretty much anyone can read an owners manual or oil bottle....apparently there are folks with questions/opinions outside of those sources.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

And there were people 15 years ago that would NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER go more than 3k miles between changes. I prefer to use science...do an oil anaysis if you're not comfortable with it. 10k changes are becoming the norm...pretty much all Toyota/Nissan are already there. Looks like Hondas and Acuras are on their way. There's really not much of an argument if the oil is tested and within spec. It's a whopping $25. Try it.

**For those with the inability to comprehend the words as written above....this post is not recommending you extend the OCI on your MDX beyond that which is recommended by Acura. Doing so will most likely result in massive premature destruction of these obviously fragile powerplants.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #26 (permalink)

Have any of you ever cut open an oil filter at 5,000 miles? I'm sorry but an oil filter can not properly clean til 10,000 miles . Skinny, no offense but you are making yourself look like a complete ass..
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Have any of you ever cut open an oil filter at 5,000 miles? I'm sorry but an oil filter can not properly clean til 10,000 miles . Skinny, no offense but you are making yourself look like a complete ass..
I'll gladly accept the title of "ass" over an "uneducated dolt". Statements like yours above about filter life is certainly bordering on nonsense. You think all these manufacturers would install filters with half the life of their recommended intervals? You think oil analysis is voo-doo? What have you found inside a cut-open oil filter that convinced you it wasn't working properly and couldn't possibly last 10k miles?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll gladly accept the title of "ass" over an "uneducated dolt". Statements like yours above about filter life is certainly bordering on nonsense. You think all these manufacturers would install filters with half the life of their recommended intervals? You think oil analysis is voo-doo? What have you found inside a cut-open oil filter that convinced you it wasn't working properly and couldn't possibly last 10k miles?
I kinda agree with this sentiment. Not taking sides or anything like that.

But I work in manufacturing as an Engineering tech, and one of the common engineering practices we have is to assume a worse case scenario. For example, we have "probe cards" that test wafers. We tell the customer it will only last 250,000 touch down's. But we engineered the part to last 300,000 touch downs. But again, 250,000 was the "worst case scenario" and up to that point is only what we warranty. That's our manufacturer recommendation to our customers.

I'd imagine it's not much different with oil filters or even oil changes. If they say it will protect and filter your engine for only "5,000" "7500" or "10,000" miles, chances are it will go beyond that typically without much harm. This is just my theory.

It's typically only those on the higher end of the scale who go way beyond recommendations that we find things go wrong. We have had customers that use our probe cards beyond 300,000 touch downs and send it back for repairs non-warranty with a bunch of electrical issues.

But I will stand that its probably safer to change oil early vs changing too late. But I understand the argument here you guys have is where to draw the line of being too "late."

And lastly, miles driven is only ONE factor of oil changes. Driving habit plays a big role here too. When I used to do track days in my rsx type-s I did an oil change before and after the track day. I think my old K20A's oil was dirtier after one track day than 5,000 miles of normal driving.

That is my personal opinion and experience on this matter. I'm done. Everyone else, relax.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #29 (permalink)

Wow! This thread got out of control.... Ha!
Thank you all that provided feedback to my original questions.

Quote:
Yes.

5W20, as specified in the owners manual.

You can use synthetic or a synthetic blend or conventional oil. Synthetic provides benefits of better resistance to breakdown when hot, and better flow characteristics when cold; the only disadvantage is that it's more expensive, but it's not all that more expensive, since you can buy 5-quart jugs of synthetic oil at Walmart for $20-30. I stick to the major brands, not house brands or off brands. I get 5-quart jugs of full synthetic from Walmart and usually wind up spending $20-24 for Q-Power (Quaker State's synthetic) or Pennzoil Platinum. (Mobil 1 is also good and is usually around $26-28).

When buying filters (including air filter and cabin filter as well as oil filter), I stick with the Honda/Acura brand because I do think there are quality differences vs aftermarket. Most dealer parts departments will give you a good discount if you buy 3 or 6 or 12 filters at a time. You can also get good prices on parts by ordering from the guy pictured below, who sponsors the mdxers site (don't forget to use his coupon codes for free or reduced shipping).

aplus247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: