For Routine Maintenance goto to Honda? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

For Routine Maintenance goto to Honda?

New here. Hello everyone.

This may not be a new thread but I think worth discussing again. My MDX 08 needs a B13 maintenance. I called my local Acura dealer and they charge $350. A different local Acura dealer is charging $330. A local Honda dealer is charging $145. The service description from the Honda dealer is almost exactly the same. I think I am going to try Honda this time. Anyone had a similar experience?

Gil
Gil Yee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Another Acura dealership within 15 miles is charging $259. Wow I had no idea the prices could be so different. I've been getting ripped off for years.
Gil Yee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

While it pays to shop, you also have to know precisely what you are getting. You said;

"The service description from the Honda dealer is almost exactly the same."

Almost can be a very expensive word.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Unlike warranty repairs, which can only be done by an Acura dealer, routine maintenance can be done by anyone, including dealers of any make of car, as well as independent mechanics. In general, independent mechanics tend to be less expensive than dealers, since their hourly labor rates are less, and independents typically charge actual time, which is often less than the book time that dealers charge. However, there are exceptions (since prices are negotiable, and also dealers sometimes run specials).

As Bill notes, I would be wary about huge differences in price, and I would make sure that they are both doing exactly the same services. $259 vs $350, it could be a difference in rates or a promotional special. $145, sounds like they're skipping some services. But if they're doing the exact same things, go for it!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I have been using Honda for normal maintenance after my warranty expired. For me it was not a dollar issue but distance issue. The Acura dealer is 30 miles away as where the Honda dealer is close enough for me to put the bike on the back of the MDX and have a 5 minute ride to work.

You do have to be careful though. I found when having the '6' done they only change the read differential fluid and not the transfer case. I had to tell them about the transfer case fluid change.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just had my B13 service done at independent service - Christen Brothers - for $149.
Exact same Acura service with exact same diff service.
I have learned to love these guys over the past 10 years for both Jeep and MDX.
They are better than the Acura dealer IMO and local dealer would have been over $300.

Check the hourly labor rate when comparing - its what drives the prices.
Part prices are typically more stable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: