What should my timing Belt Cost? and Some other repairs... - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

What should my timing Belt Cost? and Some other repairs...

I live in the city and have very few choice when it comes to reputable places to have work done to my MDX. I have an 03 MDX Touring and have a list of repairs its needs.

I am curious what you guys think of the prices from the dealer:

Timing Belt (Labor and Material) $699

Motor Mount, Front (Labor and Material) - $

Motor Mount, Right Side (no Labor when Done with Timing Belt) - $120

A/c Revac and Charge (Labor and Material) - $149

Rear Differential Fluid Changed (Labor and Material) - $99

Tires Balance (Labor and Material) - $39.95

Oil Change (Labor and Material) - $32 (I usually get this done for $20 at a Texaco Quick Lube)

THX!

03 Acura MDX Touring
05 Suzuki SV1000S
2Phast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would think the oil alone @ 32.00 might suggest something. Your call.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is the water pump replacement included in the $700 timing belt price? They should do that at the same time. A timing belt and water pump replacement is typically anywhere from $650 to $900; towards the low end if you're using an independent mechanic, towards the high end at a dealer. If the water pump is included, that's quite a good price for an Acura dealer, and still not bad for an independent.

I can't speak to the other prices, except to say that they're at least fair, they're certainly not gouging you based on the work they're doing. Are you sure you need all of them? For example, there's no need to recharge the A/C unless you're having problems with it. And there's no need to re-balance the tires unless you're experiencing a vibration or uneven wear or some other problem.

If I were you, I would also ask them to replace the two big radiator hoses at the same time as the water pump and timing belt. It won't add much to the cost (maybe $100 at most; the hoses list for $17 each) and it's good preventive maintenance on an '03, if they're still the originals.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

My MDX has 83k on it, but no records from the previous owner

So some of my concerns are preventive maintenance others are because I have noticed the need (ie Balancing - steering shake at 80mph, AC drain and charge - There is a gurgling sound in the dash, Motor Mounts - I can feel the jump when I accelerate).

Timing Belt is recommended at 100k but 9 years with an interference engine makes replacement seem wise; I recently starting getting a moan in the power steering (its not low fluid, I checked) that could be address with belt dressing, but could also be the belt "showing" its age.

I have a buddy with a Pilot and a Ridgeline and he said I should do the Rear Differential Fluid Change, again with no service records it seems like a good idea.

That's mainly where I am coming from, did I miss anything?

03 Acura MDX Touring
05 Suzuki SV1000S
Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Phast View Post
Timing Belt is recommended at 100k but 9 years with an interference engine makes replacement seem wise
No, the actual recommendation in the owner's manual and service manual is 105,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. On a 2003, it's already two years overdue.

Quote:
I have a buddy with a Pilot and a Ridgeline and he said I should do the Rear Differential Fluid Change, again with no service records it seems like a good idea.
Without any service records or any indication of when anything has previously been done, you should really do everything in the recommended maintenance schedule. Keep track of it from then on, because that means you won't need to do anything until you've hit the specified interval from that point.

However, before doing that, you might try to see if you can get a service history. Acura does not keep centralized service records, but each individual dealer keeps its own history. So if you know (or can figure out) where the car was serviced, you can nicely ask that dealer if they can print out the history, then you can use it to determine what needs doing when. And maybe it doesn't need everything. (For example, if you know the car was previously owned in the Atlanta area, there are five local Acura dealers, and it would be worth calling each of them to see if they can tell you anything about your car's previous service.)

Here are the recommended intervals for the most significant service items, according to the owner's manual:
  • change oil and filter - every 7500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first
  • brake fluid - every 3 years regardless of mileage
  • transmission fluid and transfer case fluid - first time at 45K miles or 3 years; after that, every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first
  • VTM service including differential fluid - first two times every 15K miles or 1 year; after that, every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first
  • coolant - the recommendation is 120K miles or 10 years, whichever comes first, the first time, and after that 60K miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. However this will be flushed (replaced) when they replace the water pump (see below), and that will re-set your interval for changing the coolant
  • air filter - every 30K miles regardless of time
  • cabin dust and pollen filter - every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first
  • adjust valves - every 105K miles regardless of time
  • spark plugs - every 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first
  • timing belt (usually also includes water pump) - every 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first
If you don't have an owner's manual, you can buy one here.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Also if you do go to a dealer, ask them for a better price. Especially if you've always gone to them for service. That's what I did. I even had them price match their sister dealer who is a Honda dealership who said they would do it for cheaper.
SS, SG, BSM, Front Air Deflector, Philips Xenon 4,100k HID conversion for Lows, Sylvania SilverStar for Fog Lights,04 Spoiler. Finally, Alpine CD/MP3 Changer, Panasonic DVDPKG2 RES, SAM UNIT, rear camera, Alll for my Beautiful, daughter. Installed Wood Steering Wheel. whew.
Warzau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

So here is my Update

I got the Timing belt/Water pump done L&M for $699

While they were in there I got my right Motor Mount Replaced at M cost only $120

I also had the front motor mount replaced

I had The Rear Differential done for $99

The Oil (I know I could have done it for less but I wanted to spend the extra difference of $12 to get a new washer and have them look at the old oil coming out) for $32

The AC vac and refill was $49 (normally $149)

Tires rotated and speed balanced for $39.95

They checked the clearance on the valves, topped my fluids off, washed my car, went through a list of other random questions I had and gave me a loaner car for a grand total of $872

I feel good about that.

To keep my MDX running forever, I feel like I should plan to swap my transmission, power steering, brake and coolant fluids as well as the spark plugs. BUT NOT at dealer prices; each fluid is $129 and the spark plugs are $269

I hope this helps anybody facing similar costs, I live in Atlanta and got the work done at Sons Acura in Morrow about 15 minutes south of the city.

03 Acura MDX Touring
05 Suzuki SV1000S
Old 12-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I got the Timing belt/Water pump done L&M for $699

While they were in there I got my right Motor Mount Replaced at M cost only $120

I also had the front motor mount replaced

I had The Rear Differential done for $99

The Oil (I know I could have done it for less but I wanted to spend the extra difference of $12 to get a new washer and have them look at the old oil coming out) for $32

The AC vac and refill was $49 (normally $149)

Tires rotated and speed balanced for $39.95

They checked the clearance on the valves, topped my fluids off, washed my car, went through a list of other random questions I had and gave me a loaner car for a grand total of $872
I don't understand. You listed a bunch of things they did, with prices that add up to $1039, but you say your grand total was $872.

Quote:
To keep my MDX running forever, I feel like I should plan to swap my transmission, power steering, brake and coolant fluids as well as the spark plugs. BUT NOT at dealer prices; each fluid is $129 and the spark plugs are $269
First of all, they almost certainly changed your coolant for you when they replaced your water pump. (If you're not sure, check your receipt or call and ask them about it.) Assuming they did, you won't need to flush the coolant again for another 60K miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Intervals for flushing/replacing the transmission and brake fluids and spark plugs (and doing other services), as recommended by Honda/Acura, are noted a few posts above. They don't have to be done at the dealer; any competent independent mechanic can do them. You can even do it yourself if you have the time, inclination, experience, tools, and a place to work on the car. But if you want to keep your MDX running well, you should make sure you get those services done at the recommended intervals, no matter who does them.

I'm a little surprised you couldn't negotiate what you consider a decent price for doing those additional services at the dealer at the same time as the other services you did have done, since there should have been labor savings by doing them then. Note, I'm not saying the service prices you're quoting are or are not a decent price, since I haven't priced them individually. I know the stock plugs themselves, without the labor, are around $100. (If you're comfortable buying cheaper aftermarket plugs, you can do that, but dealers won't usually install them.)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: