Problems going from conventional to Syn? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Problems going from conventional to Syn?

Have a 2006 MDX with 81,100 miles. Thinking of changing to Mobil 1 synthetic in lieu of the conventional that has been put in it. Has anyone ever done this with their "X" and if so, did you notice any oil burn after the fact? I am a bit leary because I did this with our old Corolla when it hit 100k miles or so. The Corolla never used a drop of oil between 3500/4000 mile interval oil changes using conventional oil. Once I went to Mobil 1 syn., I started to burn oil. Started off as 1/4 qt b/w changes, then 1/2 qt, then, before I sold it this year, I was having to add a qt. of oil every 1000 miles or so. When the Corolla clocked over 160k on the odo, I switched to 10W40 and it slowed the burn but is was still there.

I want to avoid this on the "X" so just wondering if anyone has done this and if you encountered any problems.
Thanks
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I did this with my 03 about the same mileage or more with no ill effects. With newer engines, you can switch back and forth no problem. You should be fine.

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

You generally want to switch the car over, with lower miles, for instance, if the car has 175,000 and you generally put conventional oil in it, continue to. But if the car is at or below 100,000 its safe to switch over..
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
You generally want to switch the car over, with lower miles, for instance, if the car has 175,000 and you generally put conventional oil in it, continue to. But if the car is at or below 100,000 its safe to switch over..
Why?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can switch to synthetic oil (or back to conventional) whenever you want, with no ill effects (as long as the car was already well maintained - otherwise any problems result from lack of maintenance, not from the switch). Whenever you're using synthetic, you'll get the benefits of better resistance to breakdown when hot, and better flow characteristics when cold.

I bought my MDX when it had 113K miles and a recent oil change. Since then I have switched to synthetic and have not had any problems whatsoever. I've used whatever major-brand full synthetic is cheapest - first Q Power (Quaker State), since then Pennzoil Platinum. It's barely consuming much oil at all, and consumption has not risen with the switch.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesalum View Post
Why?
I prefer to change it as soon as possible, if the engine has had conentional oil all its life for 175,000 or so, then the seals and rings have adapted very well to the regular oil, the viscosity of synthetic can lead to leakage. I have read studies and have read testimonials from people regarding the change and at this time, I feel that its not healthy to change it with high mileage. Dont get me wrong, Synthetic is excellent. Remember to never use a Fram filter..
Old 11-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I prefer to change it as soon as possible, if the engine has had conentional oil all its life for 175,000 or so, then the seals and rings have adapted very well to the regular oil, the viscosity of synthetic can lead to leakage. I have read studies and have read testimonials from people regarding the change and at this time, I feel that its not healthy to change it with high mileage. Dont get me wrong, Synthetic is excellent. Remember to never use a Fram filter..
How about a link to those studies?

Testimonials have no status. Just somebody who does not have the technical knowledge talking about something they know know nothing about.

George
Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

There has been a perception that you get greater sludge build up with conventional oils. That prevents some oil from reaching the seals, and when you switch to synthetic, the sludge dissolves and the dry seals begin to leak. I've never had that happen to me. I did have a normally aspirated Audi that burned more oil than I would have expected regardless of oil type. I only use synthetic when the manufacturer recommends it (for turbos, usually). Otherwise, I don't see much advantage.
kokerj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
the viscosity of synthetic can lead to leakage.
Absolutely NOT true.

Here's what the Mobil 1 website says about leaks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobil 1 website

Myth: Mobil 1 synthetic oils will leak out of the seals of older cars.

Reality: Mobil 1 oils do not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil was tested in dozens of industry standard and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made. If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 oils provide the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using a Mobil 1 oil. ExxonMobil also recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

No problems making the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Qft:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
you can switch to synthetic oil (or back to conventional) whenever you want, with no ill effects (as long as the car was already well maintained - otherwise any problems result from lack of maintenance, not from the switch). Whenever you're using synthetic, you'll get the benefits of better resistance to breakdown when hot, and better flow characteristics when cold.

-Drop Stop
-Opti-Guard
-OEM Roof Rails
-OEM Cross Bars
-OEM Rear Lower Trim
-OEM Front Lower Trim
-OEM Hood Air Deflector
-OEM Side Steps-Chrome
-Nokya H11 Hyper Yellow fogs
-WeatherTech FloorLiner™ DigitalFit® 3rd Row All Season Floor Mat
princelybug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

The molecules of synthetic are smaller compared to regular oil, allowing them to seep through the rings and seals.

@NSXTASY, Thats like saying, McDonalds says their food is healthy, are you going to believe what they say? Or are you going to believe your doctor? Or when your blood sugar, ect are off the wall? Cause you eat that every day?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
The molecules of synthetic are smaller compared to regular oil, allowing them to seep through the rings and seals.
Not true.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Any big difference between synthetic brankds say Quaker state and Mobil 1?
jasguild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasguild View Post
Any big difference between synthetic brankds say Quaker state and Mobil 1?
There are a lot of opinions about this, with some people saying that the differences are insignificant, and others claiming that they matter. Note too that there are now some brands that sell more than one grade of full synthetic, such as Pennzoil (its Pennzoil Ultra is a higher quality than Pennzoil Platinum) and Castrol (its Edge with Titanium is a higher quality than its Edge with Syntec). One can only guess that they introduced higher quality versions, at higher prices of course, in order to compete with expensive specialty brands like Amsoil, Redline, and Royal Purple, which cost even more money.

My personal opinion is that (a) there is a much, much bigger difference in quality and protection between any major brand of full synthetic oil and conventional oil, than there is between any one brand or version of full synthetic oil and another, and that (b) the slight differences between one synthetic and another may matter on a race car used in competition, but on a passenger SUV that is only used for everyday transportation, not so much. So for me, I'm perfectly happy using a less expensive major brand of full synthetic oil like Q-Power (Quaker State) or Pennzoil Platinum rather than Mobil 1.

I'm sure there are those who will disagree and tell you that a more expensive synthetic is better and worth the extra money, just as I'm sure there are those at the other end of the spectrum who will disagree and tell you that conventional oil will protect your car just as well, that it's not worth spending extra for the advantages of synthetic. And for all I know, either opinion may be just as valid and knowledgeable as mine. It's one of those things like religion, where lots of people have lots of opinions and you just have to decide what to do for yourself.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: