2011 MDX Maintenance Schedule - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimdx View Post
are you aware that a lot of the maintenance intervals are part of your MID?? and they are not necessarily mileage dependent?? i'm all for regular maintenance, but not over maintenance which equates to wasting $$$. BUT, if it makes you happier and gives you peace of mind...more power to you. just sayin'.
Noted.
2011 Acura MDX Tech/Ent (Palladium Metallic/Ebony): OEM Wood Steering Wheel, OEM Wood Shift Knob, Advance Running Boards, OEM Tow Package & Color Matched Body Side Moldings. Mods: Power Steering Filter and LED Interior Lights Awaiting Install: HID Fog Lights

Other Cars (Current): 2008 Lexus IS350 & 2007 Volvo S60R
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
gup

How much would it cost if one went the dealer and requested everything be done as Ari mentioned in his original post for, let's say, the 30K mile landmark for a 2010 MDX? Any ballpark numbers? WOuld the dealer actually do these if you requested or look at you like you are nuts?
gup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimdx View Post
are you aware that a lot of the maintenance intervals are part of your MID?? and they are not necessarily mileage dependent?? i'm all for regular maintenance, but not over maintenance which equates to wasting $$$. BUT, if it makes you happier and gives you peace of mind...more power to you. just sayin'.
I have always run synthetic in my cars. I just picked up a brand new MDX and was alreaddy thinking about that, and was planning to ask the question about the switch.
If you read the manual, it says to follow the MID regardless of the type of oil you use (synthetic or conventional).
I'm glad to see that some have already made the switch.
I wish I had the time to do all that maintenance myself.
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

what does MID stand for? maintenance information display?
bayman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayman View Post
what does MID stand for? maintenance information display?
Multi-Information Display
Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Shocked Acura is calling for Diff and TC fluid change at 7.5 K {harsh}/15 K {normal}.
My 2 - Jeeps were 15 K {harsh} and 30 K {normal}.
Does the MDX really work harder or is there too much breakdown or cash cow ??

@ARI - are you still using VTM-4 ???
Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

Ari,

FYI - A few changes occurred in the last year. You may want to consider updating your original schedule with the following:

- Transfer Case Fluid: Acura HGO-1 (75w-85); Part #08200-9014a. A few months ago Honda/Acura began offering an OEM fluid. Note, most dealerships are not aware or carry the fluid.

- Rear Differential Fluid: DPSF; Part #08200-9007a. What you listed I believe applies to pre 2007 MDX.

Going forward, I will personally change the fluids every 10,000 miles or annually (in addition to Automatic Transmission Fluid, Coolant, Power Steering, and Brake Fluid).

Today, I changed both fluids. After approximately 15 months the fluids were clean.

Thanks,

Eric
Eric_Dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
All work done by me = zero labor costs.
Ari, why do you sell yourself short? You seriously think your time is free? I use a mom&pop shop that specializes in Honda/Toyota products. I know my time is more valuable than theirs.

Great right up though.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
gup

Ari, do you mind sharing with us how you actually go about doing all of these oil changes? I want to start doing all of these things myself and it would be great to have some kind of tutorial with pics/vids/tools. Thanks.
gup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #25 (permalink)

2011 MDX Maintenance Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_PIC View Post
Shocked Acura is calling for Diff and TC fluid change at 7.5 K {harsh}/15 K {normal}.
My 2 - Jeeps were 15 K {harsh} and 30 K {normal}.
Does the MDX really work harder or is there too much breakdown or cash cow ??

@ARI - are you still using VTM-4 ???
I think it's the SH-AWD.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

I have "serviced" the rear diff and transmission on both my Ridgeline and on the Pilot we had. If you have any mechanical knowledge and a $20 torque ratchet it takes all of 20 minutes. Both systems (and the transfer case incidentally) are simple drain and fill. Loosen up and remove the fill plug first, loosen up and remove the drain plug next, have a beer / soda / glass of wine, put new crush washer on drain plugs, install drain plugs and torque to factory specs, replace fluid out with fresh factory Acura fluids in, torque the fill plug and take the wife out to dinner with the $250 you just saved. I thought the 3X drain and fill for the transmission was required only for the initial change over to DW-1? I end up changing mine ahead of the factory recommendations anyway, usually at 60% - 70% recommended intervals. I'll be doing my first drain and fill of the rear diff / transmission / transfer case on the MDX at 10K, second rear diff drain and fill at 20K and then all three again at 30K miles. From then on, I'll be changing all three out every 20K miles. I'm planning to do the simple 1X drain and fill for the transmission, not the 3X "flush." I'm probably still being too anal! LOL....
Previous Family Haulers:
2011 Honda Pilot Touring (Sold)
2010 Honda Odyssey Touring (Sold)
2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L / RES (Sold)
2003 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
1998 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
WNY PAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #27 (permalink)

I just got the B123 code on my dashboard. I have 25k miles on the 2011 MDX and bought it 22 months ago.

On my previous cars, the earliest I've ever done a transmission oil change was 50k mile. My wife drives the MDX and is a very conservative driver. If they dashboard is designed to alert you based on driving style, I don't see why the transmission oil needs to be changed unless my wife's been flooring the pedal every day.

Is this Acura just being conservative on maintenance or do I have a potential transmission problem?
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #28 (permalink)

I think somewhere around 30k is pretty typical for these to call for a transmission fluid drain/fill. It's cheap at the dealer (dirt cheap if you do it yourself). Honda is a bit more aggressive with transmission maintenance as they've had issues in the past. Some folks chose to do a drain/fill every 15k miles for additional peace of mind. I might go 20k since we may actually keep this a long time. We've blown through 16k miles in 7 months.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #29 (permalink)
KES

I alway find it interesting that most tend to ignore the manufactures recommendation on fluid changes and do them sooner than recommended which probably reduces the useful life of the engine from say 400K to 360K. Mileage that most of us will never see. I am guilty of this since I do oil changes at 5K and tranny and rear differential at 15k. Fluid changes on the tranny are a crap shoot as are Acura transmissions. FYI my tranny failed at 155k despite the over maintenance so I am not sure it helped.

That said, most then ignore the manufacturer and use cheap gas claiming it makes no difference. I use high test so I don't fall into that category.

My take is that if the Acura service recommendations are followed the vehicle will last for a life long enough for most of us as we probably won't own the vehicle for 400k and 20+ years. I love my MDX but at 180k and 11 years I am kinda ready to find a new ride.
KES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #30 (permalink)

How long should a transmission last if serviced appropriately? My sisters Tahoe had to have a new transmission at about 100k. Never towed anything with it either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: