door panel removal - pics too - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

door panel removal - pics too

Hello, this is the DIY for removing the driver door panel for the 2004 MDX base model. This is a guide and I am not responsible for any damages caused by this. Remember to exercise common sense and care!
Also so items have connectors behind them so don't go crazy yanking on them.

A. First roll down window all the way
B. Disconnect the negative (black) battery cable. Make sure you have radio code.

C. Carefully pry apart the mirror mount cover. Start at 1 and then 2. I used a flat panel trim remover but you can use any flat thing.

D. Next disconnect the connector at 3 and place this aside.

E. Remove the speaker grill by prying at 4 and then work your way around counterclockwise:

F. Next unscrew all six screws and remove the connector for the speaker and put that aside:

G. There is a screw behind the plastic cover (5) here. Pry open the cover and remove the screw. And then push the whole part to the right to release it.

H. There is a connector to remove. Also disconnect the inner handle rod by using a flathead screwdriver to rotate the clip clockwise and then up on the rod to release it:

I. Also remove the plastic cover and screw in 6.5. To remove the switch panel, pry up at 7 and then 8 and work it out carefully. There are 3 connectors underneath so they need to be disconnected.

H. I don't think you have to remove the courtesy light for the driver side door. Correct me someone if I am wrong. I actually did and realize I didn't have to.

I. The panel is now attached to the door by 8 clips. Start prying near the bottom edges. I found this pretty tight and actually broke one (X). Once you release the clips, the panel can be lifted carefully upward and out but be careful because there is one more subharness connector to remove once the panel is off a bit.

Installation is reverse order. I found it easier to roll down the window before putting back the mirror mount cover.

Feel free to add comments or questions.

-cl206
cl206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Nice writeup. Added to the FAQ.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nice! This makes me want to change out the stock speakers! LOL
Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Has anybody done this for the second gen MDX?
TIA
mdx_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdx_1976 View Post
Has anybody done this for the second gen MDX?
TIA
I would recommend picking up a helms. It is like 80-100 bucks, but one actuator job and u have more than paid for it. Just google helms inc.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Took me alittle to figure it out when I installed the new components. Nice writeup.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

THANK YOU for a wonderful instruction post! My husband & I replaced the side mirror today, and followed your instructions (which are "to a tee")! We're happy and thankful for your instruction and insight. Nice write-up!
Loosyrkrdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
jm1

Thanks to cl206 for the great instructions. Note that for just taking the door panel off to get at the stuff inside, on picture/step F, you don't have to remove all six screws, just the three outer screws attached to the plastic, not the three inner-most screws attached to the speaker itself. You can leave the speaker attached to the door panel if it's not necessary for your work.
jm1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am glad this is helping others! Been a while since I've seen this hehe.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the great photos. I was not able to find this kind of detailed info. anywhere else since I don't have a manual. I was eventually going after replacing the side mirror actuator motor which required removal of the door panel. Eventually got the mirror off.
David59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David59 View Post
Thanks for the great photos. I was not able to find this kind of detailed info. anywhere else since I don't have a manual. I was eventually going after replacing the side mirror actuator motor which required removal of the door panel. Eventually got the mirror off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: