transmission filler and drain bolt - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

transmission filler and drain bolt

HI! I finally figured out how to post a pic!

Here is a DIY of sorts for doing your tranny drain and fill. Now I only do 1 drain and fill but some people do the drain and fill 2 or 3 times (while driving in between thru the gears to "clean" all the old fluid out.) You can do a search and decide for yourself.

This is for the 2004 MDX:

First find the filler bolt. You can find it by looking down near the circled area:

Here is a close up. I think it says ATF on the bolt:

This bolt is pretty hard to get off so make sure you have some good/creative tools.

Once you get that off (or if you can't you can use the dipstick like others have posted here.) here is a pic of the drain bolt:

Use a 3/8in ratchet or breaker bar. This was very tight the first time I did it. BTW you don't really have to jack the MDX up to do this.

After draining, replace the drain bolt with a new washer and fill her up using Honda ATF only. Check your owners manual for amount. I think mine was 2.9 qts.

Now decide whether you want to drive it thru the gears and do this 2 or 3 more times. I opted for one because I will be doing this on a regular basis.

-cl206
cl206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Very helpful!
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have an 03 MDX and never have had any problems with our tranny. I have always, since new, had the dealer do one drain and fill every 15K miles. At 115K miles I did (3) drain and fills myself and the fluid looked just about new. I actually used Valvoline Maxlife ATF and a bottle of Lubeguard Red and it is smoother now then ever before. Just checked it the other day at 122K miles and it looks new.

I really believe that when it comes to these trannys, that if you do what I do, they will be trouble free. The rear fluid I do every 30K miles and it comes out like it is new.

Have also done this with an 01 Honda CRV since new and NEVER any tranny isues.
softgenious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

When I do any drain and refills on auto transmissions I always catch all drianed fluid, messure amount drained and refill with same amount.
2004 pearl MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Done, this thread was a great help.
Thanks
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgenious View Post
I have an 03 MDX and never have had any problems with our tranny. I have always, since new, had the dealer do one drain and fill every 15K miles. At 115K miles I did (3) drain and fills myself and the fluid looked just about new. I actually used Valvoline Maxlife ATF and a bottle of Lubeguard Red and it is smoother now then ever before. Just checked it the other day at 122K miles and it looks new.

I really believe that when it comes to these trannys, that if you do what I do, they will be trouble free. The rear fluid I do every 30K miles and it comes out like it is new.

Have also done this with an 01 Honda CRV since new and NEVER any tranny isues.
Do you have any picture for the drain plug of 02 mdx tranny?
rhemz81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhemz81 View Post
Do you have any picture for the drain plug of 02 mdx tranny?
See item #11 on the attached photo. That is the drain plug bolt (Acura Part #90081-PX4-003 for 2002).
Attached Thumbnails
transmission filler and drain bolt-2002-tranny-mdx.png  
2011 Acura MDX Tech/Ent (Palladium Metallic/Ebony): OEM Wood Steering Wheel, OEM Wood Shift Knob, Advance Running Boards, OEM Tow Package & Color Matched Body Side Moldings. Mods: Power Steering Filter and LED Interior Lights Awaiting Install: HID Fog Lights

Other Cars (Current): 2008 Lexus IS350 & 2007 Volvo S60R
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks!

I'll try to change the fluid today. Good luck to me. Where do you think is much cheapest price for fluid Acura or honda? Or they are just both same price. Trying to save some bucks... Thanks again!
rhemz81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhemz81 View Post
I'll try to change the fluid today. Good luck to me. Where do you think is much cheapest price for fluid Acura or honda? Or they are just both same price. Trying to save some bucks... Thanks again!
Best bet is to drain, fill, drive all gears, drain, fill, drive all gears, drain and fill. On last fill be sure you change plug gaskets (crush washers).

Get fluid from Honda dealer. Cost should be about $7-$8 a bottle and you need 9 bottles though I'd get one extra bottle. Get the gaskets at the dealer when you're there.
2011 Acura MDX Tech/Ent (Palladium Metallic/Ebony): OEM Wood Steering Wheel, OEM Wood Shift Knob, Advance Running Boards, OEM Tow Package & Color Matched Body Side Moldings. Mods: Power Steering Filter and LED Interior Lights Awaiting Install: HID Fog Lights

Other Cars (Current): 2008 Lexus IS350 & 2007 Volvo S60R
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

04 MDX here. I'm having hard time removing the drain bolt. So, just to make sure - it's counterclockwise to remove the drain bolt, correct? Any other tips or tricks I can try? Thanks.
ssMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yes. Righty tighty, lefty loosy. It's easier to go through the dipstick hole.

-Drop Stop
-Opti-Guard
-OEM Roof Rails
-OEM Cross Bars
-OEM Rear Lower Trim
-OEM Front Lower Trim
-OEM Hood Air Deflector
-OEM Side Steps-Chrome
-Nokya H11 Hyper Yellow fogs
-WeatherTech FloorLiner™ DigitalFit® 3rd Row All Season Floor Mat
princelybug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I've heard using PB blaster and letting it sit for a while works.
SS, SG, BSM, Front Air Deflector, Philips Xenon 4,100k HID conversion for Lows, Sylvania SilverStar for Fog Lights,04 Spoiler. Finally, Alpine CD/MP3 Changer, Panasonic DVDPKG2 RES, SAM UNIT, rear camera, Alll for my Beautiful, daughter. Installed Wood Steering Wheel. whew.
Warzau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssMDX View Post
04 MDX here. I'm having hard time removing the drain bolt. So, just to make sure - it's counterclockwise to remove the drain bolt, correct? Any other tips or tricks I can try? Thanks.
Unless ur really strong, I would compensate with GOOD tools.
I remember the first time I tried to open that drain bolt and it was REALLY difficult. My suggestion would be to go out and get a good length 3/8 ratchet.
My favorite ratchet right for that job is (when it was USA made):
Sears.com

Or something like this:
3/8" Drive Ratcheting Breaker Bar

You probably have to jack the car a little to use the above ratchets or maybe even a cheater bar over the tool ur currently using. BTW how long is the tool ur currently using?

And YES it is lefty loosey (counterclockwise as u look at the bolt).
cl206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I used PB blaster, a breaker bar and finally took the drain bolt off. Then I filled it through the dipstick hole with a sense of accomplishment, priceless. :-)
ssMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: