Rear Differential fluid change - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rear Differential fluid change

Hello fellow MDXers,

I just did the rear diff change on my 09 MDX yesterday. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) You don't have to jack up the car as long as its level. Take off spare tire.
2) Locate the fill plug. This is a little tricky to get to - there is a hole cutout for the fill plug in the black suspension piece. Directly below the fill plug is the drain plug.
3) Using just the socket wrench (3/8), take off the fill plug and washer. Its on pretty tight, so use an impact wrench or just brute kicking leg power force.
4) Using just the socket wrench, loosen the drain plug. Place oil/fluid collection pan directly below the drain plug. Take off drain plug and washer. Wait about 10 min for draining the rear diff.
5) Tighten the drain plug with new washer using 25-30 lb/ft of torque.
6) Pump 2.675 QTs of ATF Z-1 using diff pump (get at Autozone or any auto parts store).
7) When you're done - you should see some of the fluid dribbling back from the fill plug hole.
8) Tighten the fill plug with new washer using 25-30 lb/ft of torque. Put back spare tire.
9) You're done and saved some cash!

Notes:
Step 6 - Using the pump with the ATF fluid can get messy - use as many cardboard pieces and old newspapers on the ground to keep clean.
Disclaimer - try at your own risk, I just wanted to pass on some stuff I learned yesterday.
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

hmmm sounds easy..mine just pop up the B16 code @ 15000km...by the way how do you clear the maintenance minder B16 after you done your oil change?
2001 Honda CR-V EX www.flickr.com/photos/15964874@N06/4116731144/
hjamir32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by hjamir32
by the way how do you clear the maintenance minder B16 after you done your oil change?
Its in the owners manual.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

It is in the owners manual - I think you have to hold the SEL/RESET and another button on the steering wheel to clear the maintenance minder.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Re: Rear Differential fluid change

Quote:
Originally posted by cool555
Hello fellow MDXers,

I just did the rear diff change on my 09 MDX yesterday. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) You don't have to jack up the car as long as its level. Take off spare tire.
2) Locate the fill plug. This is a little tricky to get to - there is a hole cutout for the fill plug in the black suspension piece. Directly below the fill plug is the drain plug.
3) Using just the socket wrench (3/8), take off the fill plug and washer. Its on pretty tight, so use an impact wrench or just brute kicking leg power force.
4) Using just the socket wrench, loosen the drain plug. Place oil/fluid collection pan directly below the drain plug. Take off drain plug and washer. Wait about 10 min for draining the rear diff.
5) Tighten the drain plug with new washer using 25-30 lb/ft of torque.
6) Pump 2.675 QTs of ATF Z-1 using diff pump (get at Autozone or any auto parts store).
7) When you're done - you should see some of the fluid dribbling back from the fill plug hole.
8) Tighten the fill plug with new washer using 25-30 lb/ft of torque. Put back spare tire.
9) You're done and saved some cash!

Notes:
Step 6 - Using the pump with the ATF fluid can get messy - use as many cardboard pieces and old newspapers on the ground to keep clean.
Disclaimer - try at your own risk, I just wanted to pass on some stuff I learned yesterday.
Nice description. The only thing I would add is that you should make sure you can loosen the fill plug before you drain the fluid. You don't want to drain the fluid and find the fill plug is stuck.

07 MDX sport
07 Specialized Tarmac
09 Brompton M3L-X
09 Ritchey Breakaway/SRAM Force
adr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Smile What's the washer size's for rear differential

Does anyone know the mm or better yet the part#s for the crush washers for the 2007 and beyond? I purchased these for our 2001 MDX first change at our local Acura parts & they gave me the wrong size for the drain plug....Thanks
Parkit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just did differential and transfer case gear oil yesterday on my 2013 MDX. The differential uses 20mm crush washer for the fill plug; 18mm for the drain plug; transfer case uses (2) 20mm; and engine oil drain uses 14mm, crazy isn't it.
AndywithMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: