Rear Differential fluid change
Hello fellow MDXers,
I just did the rear diff change on my 09 MDX yesterday. Correct me if I'm wrong.
1) You don't have to jack up the car as long as its level. Take off spare tire.
2) Locate the fill plug. This is a little tricky to get to - there is a hole cutout for the fill plug in the black suspension piece. Directly below the fill plug is the drain plug.
3) Using just the socket wrench (3/8), take off the fill plug and washer. Its on pretty tight, so use an impact wrench or just brute kicking leg power force.
4) Using just the socket wrench, loosen the drain plug. Place oil/fluid collection pan directly below the drain plug. Take off drain plug and washer. Wait about 10 min for draining the rear diff.
5) Tighten the drain plug with new washer using 25-30 lb/ft of torque.
6) Pump 2.675 QTs of ATF Z-1 using diff pump (get at Autozone or any auto parts store).
7) When you're done - you should see some of the fluid dribbling back from the fill plug hole.
8) Tighten the fill plug with new washer using 25-30 lb/ft of torque. Put back spare tire.
9) You're done and saved some cash!
Step 6 - Using the pump with the ATF fluid can get messy - use as many cardboard pieces and old newspapers on the ground to keep clean.
Disclaimer - try at your own risk, I just wanted to pass on some stuff I learned yesterday.
Aspen White Acura MDX Tech & Ent