105K Maintenance Inspect Valve Clearance - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

105K Maintenance Inspect Valve Clearance

So I'm very close to hitting the 105K miles mark.
There's enough posting on the timing belt, spark plugs, etc so I'm ok there. What I'm not sure on is "Inspect Valve Clearance".

I've checked my MDX repair manual and it involves removing the engine cover, intake cover, and engine head cover along with several hoses attached including PCV valves and such. Then it involves using the feeler guage to check the valve gap one by one to within spec and adjust as necessary. Reassemble everything, including replacing the intakve cover gasket and it's done.

Hence it's mostly labor.

The dealer quote for above is $445 when I asked for a quote to adjust the valve clearance.

I'm not sure how you can just "inspect it" when you have to go through the sames steps above to check the gap.

So my question is has everyone performed the Inspect Valve Clearance at 105K miles mark? What's the risk of not having this performed? It seems $445 is pretty stiff for "inspection" even with the understanding of the labor involved.

My car is currently running fine with no undue additional noise that are typical of valve issues.
12BlueX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you can't hear them ticking I would not screw with it at all. I doubt very many of these cars actually need re-shimmed at that mileage.
carguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Through my own research, I came across this:

http://classic.artsautomotive.com/Ho...Adjustment.htm
12BlueX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good info there, thanks! Obviously not shims too.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

I need mine done as there is an audible clicking sound. According the article posted, my valves are "loose" and won't cause damage. "Tight" valves are the dangerous ones and can cause damage in the long run. What am I missing? Seems that any clicking sound is not good also.

I have an 03 with nearly 110,000.

Regards--Matt
matt03acura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by matt03acura
I need mine done as there is an audible clicking sound. According the article posted, my valves are "loose" and won't cause damage. "Tight" valves are the dangerous ones and can cause damage in the long run. What am I missing? Seems that any clicking sound is not good also.

I have an 03 with nearly 110,000.

Regards--Matt
A loose valve just has a tiny bit of slack between the cam and rocker arm (or what ever they call them on a Honda). This just means that the valve will open a fraction late and the cam and rocker arm will click a little. A tight valve is the opposite, the cam is always pushing on the rocker and potentially not closing the valves during combustion. This could leave a valve hanging down in the chamber and could burn the valve and damage it.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, so do you recommend I get the valve job? I have an auduble click from the get go. No loss of power, acceleration at all. Drives very well for a car with nearly 110,000 miles. I had the 105,000 service done with new timing belt etc. and all the major fluids replaced and water pump. Thanks for the reply...Regards-Matt
matt03acura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

I just did mine at 210k on my 2001.

Kind of a PITA.... took about 4 hours, replaced a few hoses and plugs too. Oh, I cleaned out the intake plenum with a degreaser as well.

I was getting a ragged idle, and suspected the valves might have tightened a but. Nothing was out of whack drastically, but quite a few were tight.

New sparkplug ring seals, new VC gaskets. And new manifold gaskets. belts, air filter, etc.

A

PS I think the dealer charges 3-4 hrs, and gaskets are $100 or so
2012 X5 35d Diesel (Sweet)
2001 F250 4x4PSD (Beast)
another truck, two tractors...
ardvarkus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 01:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Had you ever checked them before?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Been wondering how VTEC affects valve clearance.

Is it just assumed that the correct clearance adjustment for the low speed cam profile will be O.K. on the high speed profile?

Are the cam grinds and mechanisms that precise?
SBM MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to hondacuraplanet
I've done this job on a Civic engine. Basically it involves checking clearances on the tappets with a feeler gauge, and making appropriate adjustments. The adjustment, of course, is done with the engine not running, so there is no seperate adjustment that I'm aware of that is VTEC compensated.

Not all engines, however, are adjusted with the engine not running. I rememebr doing a straight 6 in an AMC that you had to adjust with the motor running, same as I recall with the old Ford 300 inline 6. Man, what a mess that makes!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

I took the head covers off and it is pain to remove the one in the rear. The engine harness is on top of the cover and blocking it from coming out and going in. Anyone has a better way to remove the rear head cover?
mdx333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm coming up to 105K, also, with my 2001. I want to keep the car, so I want to get the work done. The plugs I can do (thanks Board!). My local shop and the handbook suggest not messing with the valve clearances unless noisy, so I'm not going to do that.

I don't have the equipment for the timing belt so I'm inclined to give it to the shop for that, for the front engine mount (grrr!) and to install tires from Tire Rack (Kumho Road Venture). He's indicated it could be as much as $1100-1200 for the belt work alone: to replace the belt, all the various tensioners, the water pump and anything else it makes sense to do while in there.

I'd welcome advice on a) the wisdom of doing all the associated work, and b) the cost (I'm located outside Philadelphia). Also, any thoughts on the Kumhos? They get good ratings on Tire Rack and my man says they are OK.

Thanks to all!
rayc1z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Finally done all the valve adjustments and i would suggest people over 105k to do it. Most of my exhaust valves are tight. Took me 2 days to do all the adjustments and my wife told me that her car drive like a new one and the engine is so quiet when accelerates
mdx333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yea, I'm going to bite the bullet and have the valves adjusted when I hit 105k too. I have read enough now to convince me that it's worth the extra $ to have them done. I'll end up paying for it so hopefully they actually do them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: