vsa light and warning light on - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

vsa light and warning light on

Has anyone experienced involuntary pulsating braking from the VSA system? This has happened several times going slowly around a corner on dry ground. I am not braking at all. I am bringing it in to the Radley folks but I wanted to get some feedback first. I imagine that the VSA modulator is bad. I have extended warranty to 105,000 and my mileage is 101,000.
I just had an IMT valve and 02 sensor replaced under warranty and it seems that the breakdowns are starting to come more frequently.
Any input is valued
--Regards-Matt
matt03acura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cool

no one has experienced this at all? Maybe my car has a case of terminal uniqueness! What happens exactly is that once I get going and am warmed up, the car will involuntarily pulsate brake (VSA) going around a corner slowly and then both the VSA and warning light will be on and not go off. This will not occur again with the lights on BUT the system does work on snow and ice with the lights on as I have tested this. Still am planning on taking it to the dealer but not before a stop at my local indy shop and arm myself with codes. Thanks--Matt
Old 02-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Gents and Ladies, the car is at the shop today with same reported symtoms. Am surprised no one has experienced this involuntary pulsating of the brakes. Will report back when I hear fromt the dealer. I also confirmed that this system work is covered under warranty. --Matt
Old 02-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

First off, I'm sorry this thread belongs in the problems section. My problem has been solved and is covered under warranty. The steering angle sensor needed to be replaced. Service tech said he had never seen this before. Scary symptoms on dry pavement when the ABS just starts to brake for no reason at all going around corners. All is well now and I love my car. --Regards--Matt
Old 02-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Steering angle sensor? Very unusual. Thanks for the update.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have the exact same problem with an 03 i just bought. Mine is not under warranty. The code read was "Steering Angle Sensor" so i called acura, since my dealer is over 2 hours away and he told me to replace the sensor. I am currently waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Anyone besides "us 2" had this problem? and or fixed it themselves? Not 100% sure how to get to this sensor to replace.
rxpman100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

.......update.......
I called dealer and ordered the new steering angle sensor. He said it was $112.00 for the sensor only or I could get the entire plastic housing with the sensor inside for only $12.00. Very Strange! I went with the twelve dollar part. Debated on installing myself but went ahead anyways. Got it put on and the {!} exclamation light went off but VSA kicks back on. Read codes and had to reprogram the steering angle sensor to neutral and it went off and works now! Glad I didn't have to replace the VSA Modulator....(yet)......
Old 03-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Nice fix! Where did you get the part? And what is involved in the reprogramming?
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thx, I just called my closets dealer which is near Nashville and told the tech about the sensor. He sent me Honda#35251-S3V-A03....As far as the neutral position thing, when my I connected it to the diagnostic reader it said something like "steering angle sensor needs to be reset to neutral". It had about 6 steps and do them twice and fixed!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Glad your fix worked and it didn't cost you much in time or money. Dealers can be tricky as anyone can testify to. My service tech said that they didn't have any codes to read off of and it took them some time to determine the problem. It took you very little time. At least I had a loaner and warranty. I'll let that one go for now. My guard is up every time I need them to perform work which hopefully won't be often. I suspect our VSA systems are fine as the codes trip the system. thanks for the perspective. --Matt
Old 12-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

My wife complained of the same thing with our 03 today. I'm taking it in since I'm still under a 3 month warranty from the dealer. In reading about this on the web, seems it is going to probably be either the steering angle sensor or I've also heard the wheel speed sensor causing similar symptoms.

I'm also wondering if there was some actual loss of traction due to the inferior Goodyear Integrity tires on our MDX. Those things are garbage, so I'm just having to go from my wife's account of what happened. I drove it this morning with no further issues at all. :/
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpman100 View Post
Thx, I just called my closets dealer which is near Nashville and told the tech about the sensor. He sent me Honda#35251-S3V-A03....As far as the neutral position thing, when my I connected it to the diagnostic reader it said something like "steering angle sensor needs to be reset to neutral". It had about 6 steps and do them twice and fixed!
Can you tell me the 6 steps because my 04 mdx is acting the same and I just want fixed myself, dealer want to charge me about $ 500 plus. It does not include the charge of two hours diagnosis.

thanks
zawoo67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: