Spark plugs change out - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Spark plugs change out

How difficult is it to change the plugs? I have about 75k on it. 2004 MDX. I changed the plugd on my wifes Fronteir and the last one on the rear was a pain. I tore off a few layers of skin off my knuckles and it took me 3xs as long as the whole job did. I do not want to go through that again. Is the MDX just as painful on the knuckles?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Not too bad on the knuckles on my 01 but it's something I don't want to do again. You have to remove the throttle body to get to the plugs (6). There's a thread here with some tips if you search.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
KES

Why are you changing them so early. Doesn't the manual call for a change at 105K?
KES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to slash007
I just changed the plugs on my 01 last week and it wasn't bad at all. Doing that was the first car mechanical work I had ever done and it went smoothly. Just make sure you have the right tools and it will take you about an hour. I save about $200 doing it myself. Good luck
Old 08-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

as slash007 said you must have the right tools and it will take you about an hour.

have you ever done this before?

this is not easy if you dont have an experience before, maybe it will take you more than 1 hour. better you ask your mechanic to do this for you.
andry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 02:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by KES
Why are you changing them so early. Doesn't the manual call for a change at 105K?

Yup, he's right. You don't need to change it until 105K miles.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

as slash007 said you must have the right tools and it will take you about an hour.

Andry, what are you basing your advice on? What Slash007 said was this was his first mechanical work and it went smoothly. The tools required would cost far less than the cost of having a dealer or shop do the work. And it's the beginning of a set of tools to do other jobs.
The pride and satisfaction from doing these small jobs yourself is well worth the hour or so invested.

Changing oil and plugs were the first things I learned to do when I bought my first car and I consider them very basic tasks that anyone can do.

Wal92tt...try reading this:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...ht=spark+plugs
polyian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Take a look at this attachment. Not much to it. The correct torque for reassembly of the intake manifold cover and ignition coil cover is indicated in the diagram. You will not need more than a standard socket set with a couple of different lengths of extensions and a torque wrench.

This same set of tools will allow you to do your oil and filter change. There are good threads here on doing that job.

The torque for the plugs is 13 lb/ft. It's usually a good idea to coat the threads with anti seize compound, though some plugs have a coating on them and don't require this step.

If you get stuck ask for help. You will get lots of it here.

Don't be intimidated, it's failrly easy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf plugs.pdf (175.1 KB, 5306 views)
Old 08-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Great info. And the PDF makes it look very straight forward.

I've done lots of spark plug changes on my cars, but this will be my first one on a car with ignition coils.

Question: The process to remove the coil looks easy, but what is the function of these coils compared to the standard 'wires' which historically connect to the top of the spark plug? Is this basically some electronics added to the middle of the 'spark plug wire' to improve efficiency?

Thanks

'03 MDX
'04 BMW 525
'92 Porsche 968 Cab
Ceenit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

In the old days, most vehicles had a single ignition coil which was connected to the center terminal of the distributor. The outer distributor poles were connected to the top of each spark plug with wires. The distributor had a mechanical spark advance and a rotor to send the spark sequentially down each wire. Rotors wore out quickly and wires deteriorated.

Through time the rotor and mechanical spark advance was replaced by EFI ignition distributors and then eventually the need for the high voltage spark plug wires was removed by coil on plug ignition.

The timing of when each coil sparks is now controlled by the computer.

The coil on plug design is much more accurate,efficient and with the into of iridium plugs allows for extended intervals between service.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks. Great explanation.

'03 MDX
'04 BMW 525
'92 Porsche 968 Cab
Ceenit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

I changed the spark plugs in my 2001 MDX with no problems using the recommended plugs at 105,000 miles. It seems to run great. However, my MPG has significantly decreased by 25%. I was getting 18 MPG now getting 12.5%. Any suggestions as to why?
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

I just changed my plugs on my 2001 MDX, felt it was a rather easy job. Only my third time ever changing plugs, the ones in the back are a bit hard to reach, but defintley do able.

I used the NGK Platinum Plugs because the store was out of NGK Iridium.

Also, didn't Iridium Plugs used to cost more than Platinum? Now it's the other way around.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Also, using the two 3" extensions is key.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

It's a pain in the rear of the engine all right! I changed it at 50K last year, it's like 3 times as hard as compared to Lexus's. Good luck.
2003 sage brush pearl MDX touring, OEM DVD, "Bak Industries" lighted & color-match running board, full wood trims, color matched rear wind deflector, billet grilles. Custom pedals, PIAA plasma blue low beam, PIAA xtreme white plus high beam and PIAA interior lights, kenwood Excelon KFC-XR601 front speakers, Excelon X168 rear speakers, Polk GNX104 subwoofer.
mdx99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: