B16 Maint code - necessary or ripoff? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

B16 Maint code - necessary or ripoff?

My Wifes '07 MDX is showing a "B16" code in Maint Minder which we just found out is going to cost $290 to have this 10k vehicle serviced. I'm outraged. Why would a vehicle of this caliber need the rear differential fluid changed (the "6" in B16 code) after 10k of in town and highway driving? This seems like the stereo typical Honda/Acura service flogging to me. We love this vehicle and want to take good care of it but this seems excessive to us. Any thoughts?
easman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to crazymjb
The SH-AWD is really complicated and you shouldn't screw with it.

You could get a little dirty and do services your self for a fraction of that cost. Haven't had one for the X yet, but I do them for the TL. Easy enough.

Mike
crazymjb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I'm past the 11000 mile mark and the X just spit out this code. I'm about to find out later today how much I'm going to be raped. I think I'm getting too old or too lazy to do a fluid change. Besides, I'm having a sticky rear door mechanism replaced under warranty. I'll post the cost later.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

$308 including tax!

EDIT: Came down to $294, so I guess it's still in line with other service departments' charges. They changed the VTM, engine oil, and hypoid gear oil and rotated the tires plus the notorious "inspections".
Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had the B16 service done when my X hit 13,000. It was $290 including taxes and the other fees. They told me it has to be done to drain and replace the fluid that might have some fine contaiments because it is a new car. It will be a while before the another differential service
2002 MDX Red Rock Pearl/Parchment
lynphie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Follow up to B16

This is pretty interesting. Service dept says they charge $290 for the bundled service. However, they charge $149 for the rear differential fluid change by itself. They charge $99 for an oil change/ inspections and tire rotation - B1 service without the 6. $149 + $99 only equals $248 - not $290. When I questioned this the service lady (very nice by the way) just said that when they bundle the service together the charge is $290 and that she didn't have an explanation. I am going to change the fluid myself and keep meticulous receipts and records. Many places on the internet show how to do it and it appears very easy. I will post back my experience. This is a $149 service that will save me $190 (strange - huh?) less the $20 for 3 qts of Honda ATF - Z1 fluid and $5 for a pump.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Re: Follow up to B16

Quote:
Originally posted by easman61
This is pretty interesting. Service dept says they charge $290 for the bundled service. However, they charge $149 for the rear differential fluid change by itself. They charge $99 for an oil change/ inspections and tire rotation - B1 service without the 6. $149 + $99 only equals $248 - not $290.
My service advisor did mention hypoid oil change, which I have yet to look up.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Service Dept announced to my wife today....

....that they have lowered their price on bundled service for B16 to $250 after I had brought it to their attention that this didn't make sense. I applaud that they admitted their mistake and made good.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

$199 for B16 at Niello Acura in Sacramento. I think $199 is too much but I like my clean fingernails.

I performed the '1' of the A1 myself and had the 'A' (oil changed) for $19.95.

I've got 12,700 miles since Feb 2007.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

I can't believe what dealers charge for the rear diff fluid change.

It takes 10-15 mins to do it at home, and it is so easy to do.

Fluid cost with washers is under $30. I'll keep doing this one myself.
2011 Acura MDX Base (Advance Running Boards, Clear Bra, Silver Roof Rails, Wood Steering Wheel)
ncelk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 09:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

I think I paid only 170 or less for B16 service recently. Oil change, tire rotation and diff fluid change at 10000 miles??? At Jackson Acura Atlanta!

Got a spare wheell for 200, I know I paid $367 this Friday.

Actually when I first called Jackson around 10,000 miles, I had a plan on some long trip, and maintenance light didn't come on yet. So I wanted to get atleast Oil changed, called and went in for Oil Change. On the way, B service light came on. I had to just give the X to guy at the door and go to lunch with wife in my 5 series, so I told the guy to just do oil change. Service rep just took my word and did that though it says B6 or B16. Later when I went there, he said I needed Diff Fluid change. As it takes time again, we decided to do it later. So now I got 14000 miles, just called them and got B16 done again. Long story. Diff Fuild changed every 20000 miles except first time at 10k for break in.
2007 MDX Black Parchment Tech pkg Roof rails, cross bars, sport running boards(self installed), body side moldings, wheel locks, Venturer 9" DVD players (custom portables) -- Replaced 2001 Lexus RX300

2006 BMW 530i Platinum Sliver/Black Premium Package/Cold Weather Package/Navigation/Sirius+Stylish European Style Front License Plate -- Replaced 2000 Mercedes Benz E320
rsgacura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ncelk
I can't believe what dealers charge for the rear diff fluid change.

It takes 10-15 mins to do it at home, and it is so easy to do.

Fluid cost with washers is under $30. I'll keep doing this one myself.
The VTM is easy enough to do on an 01-06. Are you saying it's the same for an 07? I haven't looked into it yet.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

My comment is based on the assumption that the the vtm4 fluid change is essentially the same on the 07 and up MDX.

I can't imagine that it would have changed that much, but I am sure someone who has done it on both can tell us the difference.
2011 Acura MDX Base (Advance Running Boards, Clear Bra, Silver Roof Rails, Wood Steering Wheel)
ncelk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Though I haven't done it for my X yet, but I did change the Diff and hypoid fluid for my RL which has similar SH-AWD system. It's a matter of draining and filling with ATF. It was fairly simple to change both. Just surprised that it took close to 5 qt of ATF to fill both chambers. I expect the X will be just as easy but only have 2K miles on it now so it'll be a while before I have to do it.

06 RL PWP/Parchment, wood wheel/shift knob, spoiler, b/u camera and mudguards.

Retired 01 MDX Prem/Navi and 03 Navi/DVD
lausy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by lausy
Though I haven't done it for my X yet, but I did change the Diff and hypoid fluid for my RL which has similar SH-AWD system. It's a matter of draining and filling with ATF. It was fairly simple to change both. Just surprised that it took close to 5 qt of ATF to fill both chambers. I expect the X will be just as easy but only have 2K miles on it now so it'll be a while before I have to do it.
Doesn't the SH-AWD system in the RL/MDX use the VTM-4 fluid like in the past MDXs? I'm pretty sure it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: