Rear wheel alignment - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post Rear wheel alignment

I'm about to get a front wheel alignment due to uneven wear on the right front tire.

Rear wheel wear is even and normal. Question is do you need to get the rear aligned if you get the front aligned?

How do you know if the alignment was done properly??

I was going to take my 10 to my local goodyear dealer.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

Don't want to get hosed for work I might not need done.
polaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

You don't typically need a rear end alignment when you are doing a front end alighment. You would typically do a four wheel alignment (called a thrust alignment) when you notice uneven wear on the rears.

Actually on many cars (not sure about the MDX) the rear wheels don't have an alighment ability. Someone may be able to validate this.

However, if the full four wheel alignment is only a couple bucks more than the front end alighment, it's sometimes nice to have just to see what the current spec is.

Lastly, you should get a printout of the wheel spec alighment from both before and after the work is done. This will tell you how far out of alighment you were, as well as validate that the work was done properly.

'03 MDX
'04 BMW 525
'92 Porsche 968 Cab
Ceenit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

the only thing adjustable on the mdx is toe.
yes get the full 4-wheel alignment and ask them to zero the toe on all 4 wheels and not just "within spec". Doesn't make sense to have it up there, pay for it and come back with a half ass job.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

There is an adjusting bolt near the center of the rear of the vehicle at the lower control arm. See number 18.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
Attached Thumbnails
Rear wheel alignment-13s3v01_b29.gif  
oilchange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mdxforever
the only thing adjustable on the mdx is toe.
yes get the full 4-wheel alignment and ask them to zero the toe on all 4 wheels and not just "within spec". Doesn't make sense to have it up there, pay for it and come back with a half ass job.
The Acura service department told me when I asked for a 4-wheel alignment, that the rear of the MDX isn't adjustable. They aligned only the front wheels, which didn't even require adjustment after 70k. My tires were nevertheless worn on the insides because of rear-end squat when hauling and towing. That's why I installed the airlift auto-leveling kit to stop that in the future.
2003 Silver NAVI with RES, Towing Pkg, Tailgate Deflector, Ski Rack, Cargo Liner, and Rooftop Luggage Basket. Also self-installed 2004 door guards, Phillips 4300k HID Kit, StreetPro 100w dual bulb Driving/Fog lights, AirLift 1000 lift system with automatic leveling kit, Harmon Kardon Drive+Play and USASpec iPod Kit, 800W inverter, and stealth-installed Valentine One Radar Detector.

1997 Volkswagon Cabrio. The babemobile.

Time and Temp in Greenville, SC
perk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

The service manual for the 2001-2002 (page 18-7) shows that there is an adjustment for the "Rear Toe" (setting to 0), and it is the adjusting bolt as shown by oilchange in the diagram.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

JimH, you beat me to it. I was just about to scan that page and post it here.

perk, can't believe they did that to you. Its one thing if they think it does not need an adjustment but another to lie about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: