How does the oil get in here ? - Page 9 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #121 (permalink)

Another thing someone can use instead of carb cleaner for the cover is oven cleaner. No scrubbing needed. Spray on, wait 10 minutes, rinse with hot water = super clean.

I also used a terry towel absorbed with oven cleaner to put on the top of the intake manifold to break off the sludge that has accumulated.

Do NOT spray oven cleaner onto the engine.
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #122 (permalink)

I will have to do this very soon I will clean the ports and run a few tanks of premium shell through it to see how the milage improves
rick458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #123 (permalink)

I've completed this cleaning a few days ago once again. This time I jacked up the drivers side, unbolted the endcaps on either side of the intake(I never noticed these before) and went to town with the cleaning. By taking off the endcaps, this allowed me better access inside as well as allowing a rag inside, on each side, to soak up all the fluid. I also took off the stainless steel tube on the throttle body side. There was so much carbon and oiled up gunk in there. I've never noticed this before either. I ordered a new rubber gasket(the one that sits above the two rectangular butterflys and is about 8" long). I'll be picking it up and installing it today. It was stretched out about an inch and would not sit correctly in its groove. I'm assuming the air suction was pulling on it from either side and stretched it out? I reset the ecu as well. I noticed an immediate improvement. The only really dirty thing was the stainless tube, which I never cleaned before. This cleaning had a more noticeable improvement than the other times I cleaned the throttle body and intake.

Side note, Honda quoted ne about $650 for adjusting the valves. I have 146k and get between 16-19 Mpg city as always. What have others paid for the valve adjustments?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #124 (permalink)

I got a chance to do this today, took about 25 minutes (I hhad a little pink grease monkey helping). The ports for the intake runners had crud pluging all the way down
5/8 to 3/4 " so I used a screwdriver to gently drill through it (it was soft) and let it just fall into the runners.
I did not reset the computer, and it had 2 long starts, which I was expecting, but ran well and the onboard milage display keeps crawling higher.
More importantly the gas needle isnt dropping like a rock anymore.
So far going to 93 oct and cleaning the EGR has been good for 2.5+ MPG
and I expect higher as the computer relearns the ratio.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #125 (permalink)

02 mdx 145k miles. Did this and mine was same as all the pics in this thread. I just bought a new gasket for 23 bucks shipped instead of cleaning the old one. It drives like a different car now so smooth. This should be done every 50k miles considering how much nasty stuff built up on mine. Ill be cleaning mine again at 200k miles.
ducker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #126 (permalink)

I had some free time last night and went BACK into the EGR plenum (i did a quick and dirty proof of concept last week as i have been working everyday since i got the X)
in regards to the metal gasket, I could smell a little puff of carb cleaned every time I loosened a plenum bolt, so i know it is still sealing.
I took a Glock 9mm cleaning brush (nylon and stainless) and scrubbed all 7 ports
and got them all VERY CLEAN no solvents just mechanical cleaning.
Vacuumed the loose debris out and buttoned it all back up.
She fired instantly, with 2 mild coughs (digesting what fell into the intake runners is my take)
The ports under the gasket are 1/4 -5/16 Dia and at least 3/4 inch deep, and it took some time to work the brush fully down into some of them (mind you I did the screw driver thing last week) so there was still plenty of carbon left.
But like I have found with my Firearms, Good thorough , gentle , mechanical cleaning ALWAYS beat $10.00 worth of spray cleaners, And your body and spouse will like you better too.
Just something to consider, but please if you do this (USE A VERY GOOD BRUSH) for God's sake don't lose a crappy brush down into the intake runners, that would be a whole nother level of job
Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #127 (permalink)

yes you can reuse intake gaskets no need to clean unless really gummed up clean with any good parts cleaner and clean shop towel try not to bend or kink gaskets it will cause leaks
handyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #128 (permalink)

Gasket remover works really well but it's a bit caustic and has to be wiped off but it makes quick work of the top valve cover cap.
Try not to get it in the motor though
Jaynicols is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #129 (permalink)

Sorry for the ignorance but

Quote:
Originally Posted by morerockin View Post
I just replaced the EGR valve and gasket today. The CEL hasn't came back . . . yet. Fingers crossed.

Can you or anyone uploas a pic or one of your pics circling the EGR valve?I don't know which one is it or where it is at...I did cleaned my ports but honestly don't know if EGR Valve was clean or not...as I don't know which is it. Thanks!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/395049...ort-utility-4d
MDX Touring 2001 75W Hid Kit 6000K
15W Reverse Hid Kit 6000K
Full Interior LED's
TavuL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #130 (permalink)

I went to clean my mdx, when tightening the cover back on, the left nut snapped off, (I wasn't in my opinion tightening it tight at all, but..) Do you guys think that this will be a big deal? It seems to be running very smooth. Can i get that stud out and replace it?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #131 (permalink)

could i drill down in through the stud and then thread the whole, finishing it with a screw, like the rest?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #132 (permalink)

i read in this thread that this is only an issue for early model mdx's, but i couldn't resist trying on my 2005 with 115,000 miles. while changing spark plugs, engine oil, air filter, tranny fluid, ps fluid etc, i decided to pull open the manifold and give her a good cleaning too. what i found was similar to earlier posts. no buildup of any sort, but i did see a little black powder, and a mild varnish like coating on all surfaces, in particular by the egr tube. i cleaned it all up with throttle body cleaner, and after firing it up, found a little initial hesitation (likely a "seafoam effect" of getting a little fluid down into the valves), but after a smokey start up, she settled into a nice smooth idle, and then ran fine afterwards. i am not sure that i feel any difference, but it was running strong before all the maintenance. just curious: what are the butterfly valves in the manifold? are they to shorten/extend the intake runner length?
jordon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #133 (permalink)

I opened the EGR port cover of my 03MDX and found that it's quite clean other than some oil/air mixture residue. Clean up the cover plate and the metal gasket with some oven cleaner and splayed with water after it soaked for a bit. Wiped the engine with towel & fuel injector cleaner. Unlike the 01-02 MDX, I don't think the 03 MDX will need the EGR port clean up job but it doesn't hurt to do it.
yardbird88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #134 (permalink)

Same for mine. I checked it one year ago and it's pretty clean.
2008 BMW 750Li
2003 MDX Navi
2000 Sienna LX
1992 Accord EX, 205k, Strong
1992 Accord LX, 226k, Strong, Retired, Parting Out
1988 Camry, Sold
1982 Accord, Sold
1978 Toronado, Junked
richkuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: