Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums (http://www.mdxers.org/forums/)
-   Maintenance (http://www.mdxers.org/forums/18-maintenance/)
-   -   Jack Points - Again (http://www.mdxers.org/forums/18-maintenance/21498-jack-points-again.html)

kenglen76 06-14-2005 10:29 PM

Jack Points - Again

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry about starting a new thread on jack points but I want to make sure I've got this right. I read the descriptions of the jack points the went under my X to check them out. Yikes, those suckers are small! Even with a bit of wood between the jack and the jack point I'm afraid it won't be very stable. I was expecting a little more horizontal surface area to lift the X with.

Perhaps I'm a little confused so I'm attaching a picture of what I think are the the rear and front jack points. Can some kind sole confirm that I'm looking at the right points or (hopefully) tell me I'm not and direct me accordingly.

kenglen76 06-14-2005 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, so the first post only showed the font jack point. So here is the rear jack point.

nightguy 06-14-2005 10:31 PM

That's what I use.

phins2rt 06-14-2005 10:34 PM

Me, too. No problems so far...

kenglen76 06-14-2005 10:50 PM

Wow, you guys answer fast. OK, if you can do it so can I. I'll just be quick about getting the jack stands under the frame. I live down here in South Florida so I'll have to be extra careful since its Hurricane Season. Don't want a stiff wind to blow the X off the jack :D

EXCALIBUR 06-14-2005 10:56 PM

kenglen76,

Good luck. Remember, SAFETY FIRTST!:29:

nightguy 06-14-2005 10:56 PM

That's the part where I always have trouble. I'd like to use the rails but they're too high for my jackstands. I don't want to put them anywhere else that might mar the underbody. So far I haven't needed to crawl under for anything.

kenglen76 06-15-2005 07:15 AM

You bring up a good point. Does anyone know what the required heigth the jack stands need so the tires clear the foor? What about the jack itself?

phins2rt 06-15-2005 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kenglen76
You bring up a good point. Does anyone know what the required heigth the jack stands need so the tires clear the foor? What about the jack itself?
Here's what I use. I have to jack the X up pretty high :13: to get the jacks under it. The first time I did it, I marked the jack stands so I knew how high I needed to lift it the next time.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00950148000

hammermdx 12-14-2005 08:46 AM

Re: JACK POINTS VS. TOW POINTS

Quote:

Originally posted by turkish72
New to the board - Inherited a 2004 MDXT -

I have always worked on my vehicles and am looking forward to working on this one. I have always found boards like this to be helpful in that cause.

That said my first post has to be on this old thread because I think I am quite concerned that no one has followed up in regard to it.

THOSE ARE NOT JACK POINTS - PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT YOUR VEHICLE'S WEIGHT ON THOSE AREAS!!!!!!!!

Members - The first picture is a TOW point. It is in the center of the front of the vehicle and is intended for recovery purposes. I use to live in Colorado and was a avid four wheeler and owned several jeeps. Although these points are strong enough to winch a vehicle out of a ditch your original assessment of the tabs not having enough surface area for jacking is correct. I am not entirely sure what the rear tab purpose is but I can assure you that it is not for jacking up your vehicle. You run the risk of being under your vehicle on your side and the stand slipping. It can happen and when it does it happens fast.

There should be jack points on the frame on each side and you can use your stands under there. Please refer to the manual or some other official document.

Sorry, but you're wrong, according to the service manual those are the jack points and the jack stands go under the tabs on the side of the X.

EXCALIBUR 12-14-2005 08:51 AM

Re: Re: JACK POINTS VS. TOW POINTS

Quote:

Originally posted by hammermdx

Sorry, but you're wrong, according to the service manual those are the jack points.

What he said. The jack points are used only for jacking up the MDX from the front and rear. Once raised, I use jack stands on the sides of the MDX to support the weight of the vehicle. I would never go under the MDX if it were only supported by the floor jack on one of the jack points.:4:

turkish72 12-14-2005 09:09 AM

Re: Re: JACK POINTS VS. TOW POINTS

Quote:

Originally posted by hammermdx

Sorry, but you're wrong, according to the service manual those are the jack points and the jack stands go under the tabs on the side of the X.

Yup. I gathered that according to the service manual I was incorrect and tried to delete the post to aleviate confusion. Hammermdx was just too fast. DON'T YOU WORK?

Still. You must admit that rear tab is a little scary to jack the vehicle up on don't you think? I know the jack is only under there a little bit while the stands are situated but really, it doesn't look that strong. I am sure everyone puts jack stands under the rear a little quicker than when you do the front.:D

shootist 12-15-2005 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the proper way to support a truck. Notice the use of chocks while he's welding the gas tank.:jump3:

turkish72 12-16-2005 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by shootist
Here's the proper way to support a truck. Notice the use of chocks.
Chocks are key. Since it looks as if he is doing a little weld work to the frame it really helps to get the opposite side as HIGH as you can to put a little extra stress on the work side. Helps the weld hold. This person took the extra precaution (and expense) of using TWO 4x4's. Really could have been handled with one on the factory jack "tab.":2:

andreseng 12-16-2005 10:07 AM

Isn't that the gas tank too? ;)