How to replace rear wiper blade! - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

How to replace rear wiper blade!

Well, after doing a search and only coming up with "hints" from the various posts in the different forums, I've come up with a way to do it without destroting anything. The secret is to first go out and get a battery terminal puller. These are not easy to find, and I had to get mine online here: http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/sh...AT217_pg14.htm

Make sure you get the good one, because there are other flimsy ones that don't work as well.

1. Remove the black cap at the base of the wiper. Just carefully pry on it with your fingers, it should pop right off without breaking.

2. Unscrew the 10mm nut. It's on there pretty tight, so be careful.

3. This is the part no one tells you... You need to cover the tips of the terminal puller with electric tape so you protect the finish on your wiper arm then attach it to the arm and turn the handle. The arm is on there with extreme pressure and maybe even some locktite, so it takes some twisting force but the arm will snap off cleanly from the shaft without harming anything.

4. Now I still have to figure out how to remove the actual wiper assembly from the cover, so unfortunately, all I am able to do at this point is replace the wiper blade itself. The sun will probably have already done a number on your wiper cover as it has on mine, so maybe the answer is to replace the whole assembly. I don't know what the price is compared to 7 bucks for the wiper blade replacement.

Well...that's it. It doesn't solve the problem completely, but at least now we don't have to go to the dealer...
MannyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2005, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nightguy
Why can't you just pull the refill out ? This works for any front wiper too.

1. Pull the wiper assembly away from the glass.
2. Bending the refill and blade slightly pull on the right side of the refill toward the middle of the of the assembly until it is free from the end bracket/clip.
3. Release the refill from the left side pinch bracket.
4. Slide the entire refill straight out.

Reverse for installation.

It also appears you could release the spring if you really needed to get the whole blade assembly off.

2004 Touring/SBP/Quartz/cargo cover, cargo tray, OEM trailer hitch kit
nightguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2005, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi nightguy.

For me, pulling the refill while the arm was still on the glass is a pain in the ass. Have you tried it? Have fun working that refill in while the metal inserts fall out, or go in at a different rate than the rubber.

You should include a last step which consists of taking your favorite pain medication for the crick in your neck afterwards!

Removing the spring will most likely damage it by removing the paint on it and exposing the metal to future corrosion.

The operation I outlined takes all of 3 minutes to complete and allows comfortable installation of the refill. Preferable would be a way to replace the entire assembly, but I haven't figured that out yet.

But hey...if you've been doing it that way and it works for you...that's fantastic. I found it was a royal pain to get everything lined up to my satisfaction in that uncomfortable position.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just replaced all 3 blades on both my car and my wife's CR-V and used nightguy's method with no problems or discomfort whatsoever other than it being cold out when I was doing it. I think I was out there for 15 mins total.
<font color="black"><B>'03</B></font> <font color="white"><B>Taffeta White</B></font>/<font color="#999966"><B>Saddle</B></font> <B>Touring/Navi MDX</B> (delivered 1.20.03)
<font color="black"><B>'08</B></font> <font color="#2002ff"><B>Belize Blue</B></font> <B>Accord Coupe V6</B> (purchased 9.1.08)
<font color="#000080" size="8">
<B>Interior:</B> 20% tint front windows, '04 Saddle/Burlwood Shift Kn0b, WT Mats (F&R), Cargo Net, Cargo Tray, Black Caribiners<BR>
<B>Exterior:</B> SS Sidesteps, BSM, de-badged tailgate, Trim-Gard white door-edge trim (removed 8/05)<BR>
<B>A/V:</B> Infinity 652i (rear), Infinity 605CS (front), Eclipse 12" Aluminum series (sub), JL Audio 300/4, JLAudio 500/1, Boss DVD Player, TView 7" WS flip-down LCD, Zune, Blitzsafe w/DPDT switch between Zune and DVD</font>
crmsnidol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nightguy
Quote:
Originally posted by MannyE
I found it was a royal pain to get everything lined up to my satisfaction in that uncomfortable position.
Are you working from a creeper under the bumper ?

Yes I did it. It's easy. Why would you take the whole arm off if you're just replacing the refill anyway especially if there's a risk scarring parts ? What if you don't have a terminal puller ?

The only thing I can surmise is that the '02 is designed differently. The '04 allows for a great distance between the wiper and the glass, but frustratingly not quite enough to just flip and pull the whole blade assembly out. I have large ape hands and I had ample room to get at it.

I went back outside and inspected the blade with a mirror and I saw 'see owner's manual' stamped on the blade. It implies the same procedure for all of the bladess but doesn't mention it's just a big ol' pain in the butt on the rear (no pun intended).

I'm still looking for a hidden release button like the front blades have.

2004 Touring/SBP/Quartz/cargo cover, cargo tray, OEM trailer hitch kit
nightguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

On my 2002 you get about 4 inches (it seems) away from the window and that's it. It is a huge pain in the ass.

I was also looking for the hidden button/clip or whatever so I could just pop it out, but it isn't there, I guess.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Talking

Do what I do, get them replaced at the dealer and just pay it and forget it. No sense in going crazy.
frainc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is even better thought: get them replaced at Your Favorite Mechanics shop and save some money. Dealers hourly rate is totally outrages for that kind of job...
Old 02-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

a set of 3 replacement blades from Tim is $10 - can't get much cheaper than that. They're wiper blades people. It's not like your rewiring the electrical system.
<font color="black"><B>'03</B></font> <font color="white"><B>Taffeta White</B></font>/<font color="#999966"><B>Saddle</B></font> <B>Touring/Navi MDX</B> (delivered 1.20.03)
<font color="black"><B>'08</B></font> <font color="#2002ff"><B>Belize Blue</B></font> <B>Accord Coupe V6</B> (purchased 9.1.08)
<font color="#000080" size="8">
<B>Interior:</B> 20% tint front windows, '04 Saddle/Burlwood Shift Kn0b, WT Mats (F&R), Cargo Net, Cargo Tray, Black Caribiners<BR>
<B>Exterior:</B> SS Sidesteps, BSM, de-badged tailgate, Trim-Gard white door-edge trim (removed 8/05)<BR>
<B>A/V:</B> Infinity 652i (rear), Infinity 605CS (front), Eclipse 12" Aluminum series (sub), JL Audio 300/4, JLAudio 500/1, Boss DVD Player, TView 7" WS flip-down LCD, Zune, Blitzsafe w/DPDT switch between Zune and DVD</font>
crmsnidol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by CTPYHA
Here is even better thought: get them replaced at Your Favorite Mechanics shop and save some money. Dealers hourly rate is totally outrages for that kind of job...
I had my dealer change the 2 front ones and the cost was only $19.72. I think that is more than fair, you guys must have some service departments that go crazy with what they want.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by frainc

I had my dealer change the 2 front ones and the cost was only $19.72. I think that is more than fair, you guys must have some service departments that go crazy with what they want.
I think the point is most of us have always replaced our own wiper blades. The time at the dealer does not seem worth it, unless they are throwing it in as a goodie while they overcharge you for some other service.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2005, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

AutoZone.....

Go to your local AutoZone (if you have one of course) buy the needed blades/replacement rubber (at a great price I might add) and they will install it for free.

I do this everytime with all of my vehicles.....AutoZone has been great to work with!!
Echo2625 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DaleB

I think the point is most of us have always replaced our own wiper blades. The time at the dealer does not seem worth it, unless they are throwing it in as a goodie while they overcharge you for some other service.
Boy, your service department must have done you wrong. I was getting a FREE oil change, like I have been for the last 6 years, free oil changes, and that was my total bill for both oil and blades.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Boy, your service department must have done you wrong. I was getting a FREE oil change, like I have been for the last 6 years, free oil changes, and that was my total bill for both oil and blades.
6 years of free oil changes is great. In fact it's almost unbelievable! But let's see.......$10 wiper blades I can install myself in 5 minutes, or pay $20 to the dealership for the same thing..........like DaleB said, most of us choose to handle this one on our own.
1993 Toyota Camry LE White/Blue
1971 Cadillac Coupe Deville Yellow/Tan
eurohazard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Free oil changes are a nice goodie. I would hope they let you use your own oil if you choose also. Of course, that would raise the price from '0' but worth it to me to use M1.
As is, if I go to Honda I pay 13 bucks if I bring my own stuff. My Acura dealership is NOT cheap. 30 bucks for an oil change and 25 if you bring your own.

That's why I only go there for warranty issues.

BTW I am about to change the wiper blades for the first time, at 36K miles.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: