When do the rotors need to be cut??? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-12-2004, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question When do the rotors need to be cut???

I have 38K on my 01 MDX. At my last oil change they rotated my tires and said I needed brakes. My Acura dealer told me the same when it was in the shop for over a month!

The oil change guy told me I needed to cut the rotors. Why I asked. You have to he said. The brakes dont make any noise and the pedal doesnt vibrate or anything like that.

So when do you need to cut the rotors? I think its just something these mechanics do to jack up the brake job costs.

Now I'm looking for a place to get it done but I sure as hell dont want to get raped by honda or acura. Any suggestions from you fine folks on getting the rotors cut and where I should take my car for the brake job?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
polaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2004, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Minimum thickness of the F/R pads is .06" (1/16"); if they're below that, replace. I wouldn't refinish the front or rear disks unless they look gouged or deeply scored; their min. thickness spec is 1.02" (F) and 0.35" (R). Those numbers are from the Service manual, sec. 19. My recommendation on refinishing is from personal experience, FWIW.
'01 Base Model, Mahogany, running boards, full-size spare (Michelin) from Tim, cargo cover and net. Got her 7/2/01. GYs replaced by Michelins @ 30,700 mi. Cat paw-prints on the hood, windshield, and moonroof.
frostyra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2004, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree: If the rotors are not scored - do not resurface.

Since you are not getting any pulsation when you apply the brakes there really is no reason to resurface the rotors.

Some mechanics will tell you that to prevent brake squeal when you change pads, you should resurface the rotors.

I do not agree.

I would save my money and just change the pads when necessary.

BTW, as to when to change pads: There are wear indicators on the brake pads. Check your owner's manual.

JeffK

Recently off Lease:
2006 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony interior
2007 Saab 97x 5.3 Black/Tan interior with Nav and RES
2006 BMW Z4 White/tan interior
2005 GMC Envoy White/Grey interior
2004 Audi A8L Beige/Tan interior
2003 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
2003 Porsche Boxster Tiptronic
White/Grey top and interior
2001 Audi Avant A6 Quattro
Silver/Grey interior
2001 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2000 Porsche Boxster Tiptronic Silver/Grey top and Interior
1997 BMW 740iL White/Tan interior
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2004, 11:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

As an ex-mechanic I was always told whenever you replace brake pads or shoes the drums or rotors must be resurfaced or cut. I've know plenty of people who do their own brakes and don't resurface unless it looked out (uneven surface) , and have had no problems with vibration or squeaks. The correct and proper is to always resurface, that's why all professional shops and dealers will always sell the brake job price with including the cost to resurface. They bascially don't want you to come back with a vibration or squeak and have to do the job over again. Remember when the rotors are removed for cutting, you will also get a lubrication on the wheel berrings if your vehicle has them. The majority of newer vehicles have the rotors slip off with no need for wheel berring lubrication. That my 2 cents on the resurfacing.
Wood Wheel, Wood Shift Knob, Wood Meter Panel, Side Steps, Tailgate Deflector, Lower Trim, 2004 Body Side Moulding, Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, Clifford Solaris Alarm System with Auto Start, Phillips Bluevision Fogs, Piaa Super Plasma 5000K High Beams, StageII HID 6000k Ultinon Low Beams, Zaino/Klasse Polish, 15% HP SunTek Tinted Front Windows, 20% HP Suntek Tint Over Stock Tint On All Rear Windows, Acura All-Season Floor Mats, 7 Year/100,000 Mile Acura Care Extended Warranty, Removed MDX Logo from Hatch, 2003 Headrests & Leather Armrest, Center Row Full Headrests, Cargo Tray, Genax Rear Brush Barz & Cargo Net.
Pauls MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2004, 01:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pauls MDX
As an ex-mechanic I was always told whenever you replace brake pads or shoes the drums or rotors must be resurfaced or cut. I've know plenty of people who do their own brakes and don't resurface unless it looked out (uneven surface) , and have had no problems with vibration or squeaks. The correct and proper is to always resurface, that's why all professional shops and dealers will always sell the brake job price with including the cost to resurface. They bascially don't want you to come back with a vibration or squeak and have to do the job over again. Remember when the rotors are removed for cutting, you will also get a lubrication on the wheel berrings if your vehicle has them. The majority of newer vehicles have the rotors slip off with no need for wheel berring lubrication. That my 2 cents on the resurfacing.
I agree. And often if it is a good mechanic, they only do a light dressing of the rotor to take off glaze, etc. You want to ensure the most full contact area possible. A light dressing of otherwise trouble-free rotors, is not a big deal, and if you had a precision-calibrated arm, could almost do it with sandpaper. The same 'good' mechanic will also provide you with the measurements of the rotor thickness, explaining the difference.
A quality job can still be a quality job without costing a fortune.
Brakes, tires, steering, and shocks always worked great on my cars. I got to choose the mechanic that worked on my vehicles.
Dealerships vary, and charge too much, and bargain shops will hang you out to dry.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: