Front and Rear Differential Fluid? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-04-2003, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Front and Rear Differential Fluid?

Noticed on my dealer's itemized list of services performed at various mileage intervals both a front and rear differential fluid change.

Doesn't the service manual only list rear differential??

They even show front differential on some intervals, rear on others, and of course both on 30K service.

What's up...Thanks
mbeall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2003, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

On the 2002 the rear VTM-4 fluid was to be changed at 7,500, then 15,000 and then at 30,000 miles. That what the dealer said should be??? There is not front differential only the Transmission Fluid which is recommended for 30,000 miles which I strongly recommend changing at 15,000 miles to 20,000 miles. There is alot of different opinions on this matter as I'm sure you'll hear.
Wood Wheel, Wood Shift Knob, Wood Meter Panel, Side Steps, Tailgate Deflector, Lower Trim, 2004 Body Side Moulding, Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, Clifford Solaris Alarm System with Auto Start, Phillips Bluevision Fogs, Piaa Super Plasma 5000K High Beams, StageII HID 6000k Ultinon Low Beams, Zaino/Klasse Polish, 15% HP SunTek Tinted Front Windows, 20% HP Suntek Tint Over Stock Tint On All Rear Windows, Acura All-Season Floor Mats, 7 Year/100,000 Mile Acura Care Extended Warranty, Removed MDX Logo from Hatch, 2003 Headrests & Leather Armrest, Center Row Full Headrests, Cargo Tray, Genax Rear Brush Barz & Cargo Net.
Pauls MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2003, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paul123
On the 2002 the rear VTM-4 fluid was to be changed at 7,500, then 15,000 and then at 30,000 miles. That what the dealer said should be??? There is not front differential only the Transmission Fluid which is recommended for 30,000 miles which I strongly recommend changing at 15,000 miles to 20,000 miles. There is alot of different opinions on this matter as I'm sure you'll hear.
Is the 15,000 mile VTM change for a severe maintenance schedule on the '02? The reason I'm asking is because I thought after the 7500 mile change, the next one is at 30K according to the manual. Since it's so easy to change, I'll probably do it at 15K, but you have peaked my curiosity.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I think the point of confusion here is there is no differentiation (haha) made between the front and rear differential service on the 01 and 02.

The older models only change the transmission fluid which is shared by the front diff. really called a transfer assembly.

In the 03, the transfer assembly has its own fluid that must be changed. And that fluid is SAE 80-90, I believe, or something similar, not ATF.

And yes, on the 03 you service the VTM starting at 15,000 miles, on the 01 and 02 you start at 7500 .
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2003, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

And after 7500 on an 01 and 02, when is the next change scheduled?
Old 08-04-2003, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hammermdx
And after 7500 on an 01 and 02, when is the next change scheduled?
15K, from then on the same as 03.

Some say there is no difference between the 2 VTMs..but actually there is (besides the electronic programming for greater application at times).

The fluid capacity is different between the two. The 03 takes less fluid (about 0.2 or 0.3qt?).
This can only mean 2 things. Either the height of the fill hole has been lowered, or something is 'bigger' inside, reducing the amount of available area for the fluid.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Thanks Dale, I'll do it at 15K, but per the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, it shows the next one after 7500 miles is 30K miles for the normal schedule and 15K for the severe schedule.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hammermdx
Thanks Dale, I'll do it at 15K, but per the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, it shows the next one after 7500 miles is 30K miles for the normal schedule and 15K for the severe schedule.

Well, as some will testify, I am more of a 'severe' guy mysefl..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: