Anti-freeze protection level? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-27-2003, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Anti-freeze protection level?

While reviewing the pre-delivery "quality inspection" form in my maintenance journal, I see that the anti-freeze protection is listed as 34 degrees. Surely that cannot be as (a) obviously water does not freeze at 34 degrees anyway and (2) it does sometimes get below freezing here and clearly does in the mountains. What do others see on their inspection checklist?
norcalchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2003, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check again. A 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water will protect to minus 34F.
Allen Cichanski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2003, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Cichanski
Check again. A 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water will protect to minus 34F.
Well that makes sense. Probably it was -34. The person who wrote the number in just put "34".
norcalchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2003, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

When substances are mixed, the freezing (or melting) point of the mixture is lower than the freezing points of the individual substances. You can protect your car to a much lower temp than -34 by adding more antifreeze. If I recall my phase equilibrium data from my physical chemistry class it is something like 70/30 A.F to water will take it down to -68F. Strangely enough, adding even more A.F. will raise the freezing point!. This optimum mix is known as the eutectic composition and the lowest possible freezing point is the eutectic temp. The worst thing you can do is fill your cooling system with pure antifreeze which if I recall correctly will only protect you to something like +7F!!!. This "depression of freezing point" is the same thing you're trying to achieve when you sprinkle salt on ice. You're trying to create a brine that freezes at a temp lower than the air temp. The standard 50/50 mix is a good compromise of adequate additives in the antifreeze to protect from corrosion of your cooling system and cold weather protection.
Allen Cichanski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2003, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
[i]The worst thing you can do is fill your cooling system with pure antifreeze which if I recall correctly will only protect you to something like +7F!!!. [/B]
Furthermore, the 'wetting' characteristics of ethlyene glycol are poor compared to the 'mix', reducing effective heat transfer.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: