2008 Cold weather problem - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 2008 Cold weather problem

2008 MDX technology package.
The problem does not appear until vehicle is outside and temperature gets below 10 degrees F
1. Doors unlock ok
2. Vehicle does not recognize driver one or two during unlock or with key inserted.
3. Steering wheel will not respond to driver # selected
4. Seat will not respond to driver # selected
5. Led on driver door not lit for driver, cannot select driver
6. Seat will respond to manual control
7. No error codes shown

Took it to dealer, never heard of, leave it overnight maybe they will see something. We live in Southern AZ so temp never gets that cold. Problem occured in Denver for Christmas.
Questions:
A. Anybody know which processor controls these functions?
B. Anybody know how to reboot this processor?
C. Are there any TSB's on this? Dealer in Co didn't know of any.
D. Anybody else have this problem?
JHR1907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wow, that's an interesting problem. Subscribing to the thread to see what the solution is.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestrepo View Post
Wow, that's an interesting problem. Subscribing to the thread to see what the solution is.

Btw, dis the problem occur in more than one occasion?

wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
kgb

Mine does the same thing. We had a very cold weather for the past few weeks and every time temp is going below -15C (5-7F I guess) it is acting up. Does not bother me to the point of taking it to the dealer thou... When it warms up - it works just fine. It was happening since the beginning and when I took it to the dealer first time he wasnt able to find anything wrong with it... And I wasn't about to start digging into the electronic gizmos.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHR1907 View Post
Took it to dealer, never heard of
Did they try calling Techline?

Techline is the department at Acura HQ that tracks problems from all dealers nationwide, and communicates known solutions to them, sometimes but not always in the form of Technical Service Bulletins. They would be more likely to know about a cold-weather problem than a dealer in Arizona would.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
kgb

I thought that dealer in Edmonton will know about problems like this - wrong. They told me that it could be some kind of a electro gremlins and it's better not to disturb it or it can get worst.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

This is pretty obvious to me. Your mirrors frozen and so the automatic memory reset feature won't work. Replace the right mirror actuator. However, this is a short term fix as it will freeze up again. I think these are pretty sensitive - I've had mine replaced once and then did the following:

What I did (since my wife and I drive with similar mirror positions) is found a mirror position that works for both of us, then set the drivers seat and steering position. I set this as position 2. I then had my wife set up her seat and steering wheel and set this as position 1. This way the mirrors do not need to move between position 1 and 2, only the seats and wheel.

In doing this my memories / seat worked at any temperature. Option 2 was warm up the vehicle and mirrors and then press the memory button.
c3uo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Also, make sure you don't have your passenger side mirror set to dip when in reverse unless you're actually using that function to do something like parallel park, this causes the actuator to move it even more, it was always the passenger side actuator I had to replace.
ND40oz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHR1907 View Post
2008 MDX technology package.
The problem does not appear until vehicle is outside and temperature gets below 10 degrees F
1. Doors unlock ok
2. Vehicle does not recognize driver one or two during unlock or with key inserted.
3. Steering wheel will not respond to driver # selected
4. Seat will not respond to driver # selected
5. Led on driver door not lit for driver, cannot select driver
6. Seat will respond to manual control
7. No error codes shown

Took it to dealer, never heard of, leave it overnight maybe they will see something. We live in Southern AZ so temp never gets that cold. Problem occured in Denver for Christmas.

Questions:
A. Anybody know which processor controls these functions?
B. Anybody know how to reboot this processor?
C. Are there any TSB's on this? Dealer in Co didn't know of any.
D. Anybody else have this problem?
12/29/12 Update
12/27/12 Denver I tried it will all settings left for driver 2 overnight. The problem was the same. Temperature was 6 degrees F.
Re the actuators, I have my manual mirror control settings in the neutral position. Thanks for the input though.
12/28/12. Denver, Temperature 5 degrees F same problem
12/29/12 Deming NM. Temp 32 degrees F, all operations normal.

Does anyone have a phone number on Acura Techline? This is strange enough that I need to explain it myself.
I think the wiring harness connections to the processor are loose, corroded, and shrink enough when exposed to cold temp's that cause things like this. When it warms up the engine compartment, the contacts make and all is fine.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, I udated my post today. Thanks for the response.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

I've had a similar problem with my 2009 X and took it to the dealership to have it looked at. The dealership ran tests on my x and on several other brand new vehicles at the dealership, other MDXs, TLs and RDXs. They all had the same issue. The dealership advised that the battery, in extreme cold conditions, does not have enough power to move the tilt steering, seat and mirrors into the correct position. Once the car has been running, warms up and the battery is back at full strength the seating positions should all work properly. I only expetience this nuisance of an issue in the winters. Still, you would expect a vehicle to work appropriately in all conditions after the amount of money we spent!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

12/30/12 Sent this to Acura client relations this morning. I will post the response when I get it, probably Wednesday given the holiday.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure your symptoms are as per this TSB. I could be wrong, but the DPMS is linked to the mirror motors which are the weak link.

See attached TSB. I'm surprised your dealer didn't try this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B09-047 Door Mirror.pdf (159.8 KB, 94 views)
c3uo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

JHR1907 thanks for following up on this issue with Acura. I'm interested in hearing what they had to say about the issue. Also, could you provide to me Acura NHQs contact details?
Thank you.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

like another member has mentioned...sounds like the side mirror actuators going bad OR the battery is not providing enough power.

i had the intermittent steering wheel tilt not work, the mirror actuators (both of them went bad, and subsequently replaced) were the culprit. it also caused the key fob not to communicate with the car to allow the driver settings to be recognized.

i do not use the driver's side mirror in reverse but quickly found that the actuator was going bad (it either tilted or it didn't). the passenger side mirror stuttered upon returning to driver setting from tilt.

since both mirror actuators have been replaced, i have not had any issues with the key fob recognizing the driver's settings or a cranky steering wheel.

my issue was intermittent. the mirrors and the steering wheel settings are interconnected on the same circuit in the car. this is a known problem (not only in the MDX, but these actuators are known to go bad across the line up).

'05 TL 6MT w/navi--AM/ebony--lightly modded
trimdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: