'07 MDX Battery Issues - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

'07 MDX Battery Issues

Hello.. I have an 07 MDX that is out of warranty. Approx 1000 miles past the 50k warranty, my HFL and Bluetooth went out on the car. The dealer wanted $700 to fix. I declined, and we have been living without the HFL and Bluetooth headphones since.

However, the car has started to eat batteries. And if it goes a few days without being started when it is cold, it will need a jump, or have the charger put on it.

I removed the HFL (39770-STX-A010-M1) module from the car a few days ago, (did not replace yet, just left it unplugged) and replaced the battery with a new one.

This morning, battery is dead. I charged up with battery charger and attached a meter between the neg battery terminal and the black cable. I set it at DC Amps (10 A) and it was reading about 3 amps. I went back 30 mins later, and it was sitting at about 1.4 AMPS.

I started unplugging fuses one at a time and the current draw did not drop significantly. I have read that it should be < 50 miliamps (.050 Amps) I did this on all fuses under dash, by the rear tail gate, and in little box under hood next to the battery.

Are there other fuses I need to check? Sorry for the book here, but this problem is driving me crazy, and I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks!
bzimny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry I don't know anything to help; hopefully someone here can provide some good advice.

By the way, what is "HFL"?
Old 12-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

HFL - Hands Free Link

I have read that this can be the culprit for this very problem. However, I have unplugged the module from the car and I am still having issues. Hopefully, someone can assist!
bzimny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have had to replace the battery twice in my 2006 MDX and like yours, if I don't use it for a day or two I will likely have a dead battery. Even qwhen it was new I had these problems and the dealer said I just had a bad cell in the battery and replaced it. I bought a Booster Battery and carry it with me at all times not to mention jumper cables also. Very aggravating.

My HFL went out also right after the warranty expired and they wanted WAY to much for a diagnostic check. I have the Navigation system also and was recently told that this system may be causing a drain on the battery as it does not stop searching for satellites. Not sure about that but something is definitely draining the battery.
Al3333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Strange the unplugging the HFL didn't do it, you unplugged it back by the rear vents in the middle console right?
ND40oz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzimny View Post
Hello.. I have an 07 MDX that is out of warranty. Approx 1000 miles past the 50k warranty, my HFL and Bluetooth went out on the car. The dealer wanted $700 to fix. I declined, and we have been living without the HFL and Bluetooth headphones since.

However, the car has started to eat batteries. And if it goes a few days without being started when it is cold, it will need a jump, or have the charger put on it.

I removed the HFL (39770-STX-A010-M1) module from the car a few days ago, (did not replace yet, just left it unplugged) and replaced the battery with a new one.

This morning, battery is dead. I charged up with battery charger and attached a meter between the neg battery terminal and the black cable. I set it at DC Amps (10 A) and it was reading about 3 amps. I went back 30 mins later, and it was sitting at about 1.4 AMPS.

I started unplugging fuses one at a time and the current draw did not drop significantly. I have read that it should be < 50 miliamps (.050 Amps) I did this on all fuses under dash, by the rear tail gate, and in little box under hood next to the battery.

Are there other fuses I need to check? Sorry for the book here, but this problem is driving me crazy, and I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks!
I didn't experience this first hand, but I know of a lot of MDX's running their batteries down when AC relay goes and permanently engages compressor clutch. In short, clutch remains engaged when MDX is off/parked and runs down the battery in short order.

Something to look into...

Regards,

Nino
ninor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

To confirm I unplugged my HFL unit, and the new battery has been working like a champ. Still looking for options since I had to HFL / Bluetooth for 6 months.

Let me know what you guys are doing.

Thanks
Sergio
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

07 MDX - same battery issue

Have had the same issue since summer of 2013. if leave it parked for more than a day or two, it needs to be jumped. HFL was turned off a few months ago but nothing improved. I even replaced with a new acura provided battery at end of December. A week later, car sat for two days at freezing temps and battery was dead. Took it back (losing track of how many times now) in and left for acura to figure out the problem. sure enough they say everything looks fine... Any suggestions?
rbrst1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

MDX Battery Problem

Same problem on my 07 MDX. Two days without starting... the car is dead in the water.
I exchanged 6 batteries for free of course under warranty (thanks AutoZone). I haven't unplugged the stupid non working HFL/Bluetooth. Where to unplug it?

Louis
lsaintfelix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 05:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have had a similar problem with the wife's 07 MDX. The HFL stopped working and I noticed a lot of heat in the back glove box area so I removed the HFL module and all seemed okay for about 2 weeks (then again I charged her battery overnight when her MDX first died so I thought that was it). As soon as her MDX fails to start I jump it, it get it home, and charge the battery. This lasts for 3 or 4 days and then her MDX fails to start again So last weekend I removed the battery and had it tested (passed with no issues). I charged it again and re-installed it. Five days later the MDX won't start again..ughhh! On the last failure and before I attempted to do a jumpstart I just wiggled the red plastic cap that is connected to the positive cable..not even wiggled..just sort of opened and closed it a couple of times..all of a sudden the MDX gets lights and it is able to be started..wtf? Both cables are impeccably clean (made sure no corrosion built up since day one as I check these things on a weekly maintenance basis) and they are firmly attached to the battery cables (which are also clean). What could be the issues..what is that black little box attached to the positive cable..trying to figure out how opening and closing the red plastic cover enables the car to be started
cobramanphil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: