AC vent tab repair - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

AC vent tab repair

I have a 09 MDX with broken tabs on the outside (passenger and driver side) AC vents. This appears to be a nagging problem for Acura, but I think I have designed a good fix/repair. The fix is a laser cut piece of automotive grade double-backed foam tape adhesive that has a very high peel strength (3M VHB). This is the same tape used to hold body side moldings to the doors on autos, so it is made to withstand outdoor applications.

The repair is to take the tab, clean with alcohol wipe, peel off one side of the adhesive and press onto the tab, hold for 60sec. Then, clean off the AC vent location (there are small ribs that position the tab) and peel off the opposite side of the adhesive, being careful NOT to touch the adhesive. Carefully position the tab into place, and hold firmly in place for 60 seconds.

That is it!!!! No super glue mess and it really works. The laser cut parts are high precision and you can see the adhesive after a proper installation.

I can post some pics of the parts if needed. I am planning on selling a kit with 2 pieces of adhesive, alcohol wipe, microfiber cloth for $25. This will save over $150 of vent parts from Acura. This repair should fit all MDX side vents from 2007-2012.

Anyone interested?
kframe99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

$25 for a couple of pieces of molding tape? I think I would take my chances doing it myself or go the super glue route. I'm not sure how much more difficult this is than the 1st gens, but the 1st gen fix was pretty easy. Good luck!

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Great write-up on this.
Acura MDX Dash Vent Repair | Goodspeed Motoring Blog
helispot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: