the 8 climate control lights are out! - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

the 8 climate control lights are out!

I actually did do a search and saw a few posts which are also from the FAQ section. Very interesting and informative! It is like 11PM EST and I don't have the bulbs yet, but I went out to my car and used my fingers to tug at the PLOOD near the vents and it started to come out LOL. I might not even need to do the coat hangar trick. Now it is time to go and pick up these 2 bulbs tomorrow. And yes in the 04, those 8 buttons as well as the clock are all lit by 2 bulbs. Just posting cause I got excited about finding this fix on this site. It drives me nuts to see the light on the climate controls out.

One thing I didn't recall reading in the FAQ on this is that you should REALLY unplug the negative terminal of the battery whenever working with anything electrical. But before doing that make sure you have the radio code. One time I was doing a similar thing on my accord and I forgot or didn't think it was a big deal and then shorted out a fuse. The effect was that my car wouldn't even start until I changed the fuse.
cl206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bumping my own thread!

Does ANYBODY know if these climate control lights are 12volts? I read that in another acura forum (Acurazine) some people just replaced these:

12V Microlamps (2-Pack) : Microlamps | RadioShack.com

My acura dealership is like 25 minutes from me and the Radioshack is like 10 minutes and if these work for 2 bucks, why not? I'm looking forward to doing this this evening and hopefully can get the Plood off in a minute or less.
THANKS! If no one responds, I might just go ahead and do this. I WILL be the guinea pig....
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

They would probably work but you will need to solder them in or something if I remember correctly. For $2 it's worth a shot.

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you'd like to do that stuff go ahead. For me for 4 dollars extra I just get the 2 bulbs and be done with it. Wait I did.
SS, SG, BSM, Front Air Deflector, Philips Xenon 4,100k HID conversion for Lows, Sylvania SilverStar for Fog Lights,04 Spoiler. Finally, Alpine CD/MP3 Changer, Panasonic DVDPKG2 RES, SAM UNIT, rear camera, Alll for my Beautiful, daughter. Installed Wood Steering Wheel. whew.
Warzau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warzau View Post
If you'd like to do that stuff go ahead. For me for 4 dollars extra I just get the 2 bulbs and be done with it. Wait I did.
It's only a $4 savings? Well in that case get the bulb from the dealer. I was thinking the dealer would charge about $25 or something like that.

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

The part you need, for each of the two bulbs behind the eight control buttons, is 79629-S3V-A01 BULB, NEO-WEDGE, shown as #4 in the diagram below. List is $4.90 and you can find the usual 20-30 percent discounts online (but if you have a local dealer nearby, it will be cheaper to have them order it for you than to pay shipping from a place that discounts).

There's information about how to replace them in this topic:

How To Replace Bulbs Behind HVAC Controls in Dash Center

Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Damn you beat me. Yeah 4 bucks each from from Tim Discount Honda and Acura parts and accessories - OEM Acura Parts then replace them
SS, SG, BSM, Front Air Deflector, Philips Xenon 4,100k HID conversion for Lows, Sylvania SilverStar for Fog Lights,04 Spoiler. Finally, Alpine CD/MP3 Changer, Panasonic DVDPKG2 RES, SAM UNIT, rear camera, Alll for my Beautiful, daughter. Installed Wood Steering Wheel. whew.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I did get the radio shack ones and realized they were too small. I didn't even bother trying (will return since I didn't even open them) and decided to get it from the Acura dealer. They were $4.90 according to the estore but around here where I live the 2 honda dealerships as well as this Acura all charges a bit more than list price. So the OEM bulb 79629-S3V-A01 at the Acura dealer would have cost $6.XX each which is a total ripoff IMO for such a small bulb, but I asked him kindly to match the $4.90 which he did. I would have ordered from Tim, but the shipping makes it not worth it for 2 bulbs.

Also I was able to use my fingers and pry out the PLOOD from the top first and it was pretty easy. All told, the job took me like 5 minutes including disconnecting the negative side of the battery. However I'm not sure before but the passenger side on off light is out. If they carry it in stock I might change it, if not I probably won't bother.

And yes I got all the info I needed from the FAQ section in this forum! Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I also usually ask the dealer if I need a part ASAP to price match Tim or some other online competitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: