Extended Rough Idle and Stalling diagnose on '04 - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Simi_MDX
I posted this in a different thread, but thought you guys might benefit from it.

I finally decided to drop off the car to my indy for a valve adjustment. He has a very interesting way of diagnosing if the valves need adjustments or not (he does not have a scanner to read the MAP voltage). He says typically, the manifold pressure is a vacuum at idle. He has noticed that if the vacuum is less than 20psi, the engine needs some attention. Mine registered at 15psi, so he went forward with the valve adjustment. He said almost all of my exhaust valves were tight. Intake were fine. After the valve adjustment, my manifold pressure reads 22psi, so he feels confident my problem will be gone. So only time will tell.

It's been a couple of days and my wife says the car feels smoother with no cold hesitation and so far so good. My indy only charged me $155 for the valve adjustment so for cars that have less than 105K miles, I would actually recommend a valve adjustment before doing the "easy" stuff since plugs and coils are pretty expensive.

Once again, my car is a 2006 with 78K miles. Codes that were present were P0300-306 and P0175.
Simi_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Any update? The the VA fix the rough idle issue?
argh6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm looking for an update too as I'm seeing similar issues.
StLB5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

I just dropped mine off at the shop with the same issue. H said typically they need at minimum a valve adjustment. Worst case scenario is the valves get burnt due to a faulty seal and you have to take the head off.

I will update.
eldorado73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Just picked mine up. $985 for valve adjustment, 3 coils and 6 spark plugs. I was shocked! It was an independent shop too.
eldorado73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
cal

I had the same problem (listed in forum title) that seems to have disappeared now...

while taking off the plenum I decided to disconnect the the two hoses that are attached to each other. One hose goes from the rear manifold cover to the air intake and the other goes to the throttle body?? it was the one going to the throttle body that when I pulled it off about three table spoons (maybe more) of fluid poured out it was blue and not flammable with no smell. cleaned the under the plenum (not really needed) and put everything back together and it runs so much smoother its really noticeable. Went out to start it this morning and everything worked like a dream.

not sure what was the fix was but it ran smooth and didn't stall when put into gear. can anyone tell me what the fluid was?

cost 30min at my brother-inlaws = cheap!
cal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Same problem. (Stalling, rough idle, misfire codes on all cylinders, random cylinder and "system too rich")

The Dealer that I have the car at right now is recommending all sorts of things, with no guarantee. (The trial and error method of repair.) Thankfully, they've admitted they don't know what is wrong instead of trying to sell me any particular method.

From searching places like this, I keep coming back to valve adjustment, over these suggestions:
-drain fuel, replace
-replace coil packs and plugs
-EGR

Does the originator of this thread have any updates? Did the valve adjustment solve the problem?
taylord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: