Power Steering Whine - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Power Steering Whine

hey guys i have a 07 mdx with right at 60,000 miles on it. im getting a very loud whine coming from the power steering when i turn. it doesnt happen when the car is first started but a few mins after driving i hear it. what weird is sometimes ill drive it and it doesnt happen at all but then others time it does. it seems to have gotten worse with the weather getting colder. i did look in the power steering reservoir and noticed bubbles and pretty bad swirling. ive read about the same issues on tl's where a glazed oring was to blame somewhere in the suction side of the pump or reservoir. does anyone have ideas what i could do to correct this very annoying problem. its very embarrassing and makes me not even want to drive it. thanks tim
onefast450r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

An leak on the intake side from the reservoir could allow air to be sucked into the PS pump. However, when stopped I would expect a drip from this location. Bubbles in PS fluid indicate air getting in somewhere. This can cause a whine or groaning.

good luck
TexasHonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

exactly what i was thinking. i havent been able to find a microfiche online anywhere for the mdx to see a breakdown of that hose. do you know if there are any orings or gaskets that could be failing causing this leak allowing air in the system? i havent seen any fluid leaks possibly showing the location of the leak.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry, I can't help w/ details. I've never had this problem.

good luck
TexasHonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

just an update the noise has now been solved by replacing the o ring on the inlet side of the power steering pump. a 47cent o ring! glad that very annoying sound is gone.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast450r View Post
just an update the noise has now been solved by replacing the o ring on the inlet side of the power steering pump. a 47cent o ring! glad that very annoying sound is gone.
hey do you have the o-ring part #? and image of how the pump looks like? Any tips on doing it? Thanks
mach mdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had the same symptoms. They replaced a tensioner.
duplicated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

91345-RDA-A01 / O-RING is the part #. if you follow the hose from the reservoir to the power steering pump you will see a black piece on the front of the powersteering pump. take the clamp off the hose and remove the hose from the power steering pump. twist it up so you dont lose much power steering fluid. the black piece is held on by a bolt which is i believe a 10mm. take that bolt out and wiggle the black piece loose the oring is in there. if you have the same problem i did your problem will be fixed. do you have bubbles in the reservoir?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
91345-RDA-A01 / O-RING is the part #. if you follow the hose from the reservoir to the power steering pump you will see a black piece on the front of the powersteering pump. take the clamp off the hose and remove the hose from the power steering pump. twist it up so you dont lose much power steering fluid. the black piece is held on by a bolt which is i believe a 10mm. take that bolt out and wiggle the black piece loose the oring is in there. if you have the same problem i did your problem will be fixed. do you have bubbles in the reservoir?
Thanks for the reply. Is it easier to reach from the top or bottom of the vehicle? I haven't checked it, you meant there will be visible bubbles in the reservoir?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

definately from the top. your gonna need an open end wrench because youll find out theres hardly any room to get to that bolt. best to get it loose enough to use your fingers to finish getting the bolt out. id lay a rag under it so that when it does spill the rag catches most of it. i do have a diagram but it doesnt show the oring. if you want me to circle the spot where its at send give me your email and ill send the diagram. and yes there were visible bubbles in the reservoir even when the car wasnt making the noise.

Last edited by onefast450r; 12-08-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: forgot some things
Old 12-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
definately from the top. your gonna need an open end wrench because youll find out theres hardly any room to get to that bolt. best to get it loose enough to use your fingers to finish getting the bolt out. id lay a rag under it so that when it does spill the rag catches most of it. i do have a diagram but it doesnt show the oring. if you want me to circle the spot where its at send give me your email and ill send the diagram. and yes there were visible bubbles in the reservoir even when the car wasnt making the noise.
Yes, Thanks. It's oooitsu@yahoo.com. It is forums and people like this that makes online communities better, coming together to not like stealerships rip us diyer's off!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach mdx View Post
Yes, Thanks. It's oooitsu@yahoo.com. It is forums and people like this that makes online communities better, coming together to not like stealerships rip us diyer's off!
Can you please forward the diagram to me as well - dmaljunk@gmail.com. I also have a whining noise coming from power steering, the level of fluid is at low mark, I have not noticed bubbles but since the level is slow then it leaks and so air might get it. Thanks in advance.
dmaljunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Bringing back an old thread. I have a 2009 which is is now starting to show the moaning issue. Happens when the MDX is warmed up and has been driven for atleast 15-20 mins and happens when i turn the wheel and lightly hit the gas.
I opened the power steering reservoir and i saw some bubbles on the side, making me believe that the o-ring is the culprit.

Question is: how bad should the bubbling be to confirm it's the o-ring? when i lookinto the reservoir, i see 2 small chambers when i look down and the bubbles are only in the side chambers (i'll post a pic soon).
sweetadad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

here is a pic after it's been driven for 30-40 mins.

As you can see, the center chamber is free of bubbles, its just in the side slot....is that normal?

sweetadad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

I hate to say it but this issue has returned yet again. I ended up replacing the black inlet tube and it fixed the issue for about a year. Until over the weekend i went for a little ride about a half hr and sure enough it returned. I had just entered a drive thru and it was whining again. That picture looks like what my did when i checked it when it was whining. definately caused by the air in the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: