Hey all- so I replaced my compressor this weekend. After spending an entire day chasing used compressors - just to show up and find they were no good, I gave up and went by Napa and bought a rebuilt. 90 degree and rainy weather with no ac made me happy to give up and buy a rebuilt.
So I had to buy the kit if I wanted the two year warranty.
Anyway, local AC place had a recover/vacuum/recharge for $69. So I had them do the recovery, as soon as he was done laughing at me for attempting to do this myself. Ahh... delightful man he was.
So I pulled the MDX in the garage and onto the ramps. Got the belt off fairly easily. My breaker bar was too bulky... so I used a wrench with a metal pipe on the end. Worked great. Took off the lower most bumper/fender thing.
From underneath, like snake did, I tried to remove the 3 bolt sub-frame bracket. BUT of course my luck... The two bolts toward the inside have spot welded nuts inside of the subframe and of course the middle one broke free. So I ended up putting a jack stand under the frame and having to remove the outside bolt and inside bolt- leaving the middle loose and spin it out of the way. Still worked luckily.
Got underneath, removed the hoses (covered them with rubber gloved and electric tape) and wire, then the four bolts. Weazled the beast out of there. Spinning the inside of the clutch you could see the movement inside working, but the clutch spins free. The rubber thing on the clutch is all beat up. My rebuilt didn't have a metal piece that is on the compressor (not sure what its called, but one of the hoses conencted to it), so I took it off the old and put it on the new. Cleaned it off and changed the O rings, used some oil on them.
Put the thing back up in there, tightened the 4 bolts, hooked up the hoses and wire again. Ta da.
Put the bracket back in place and bolted it back in place. Used the torque. Seems like it was worth the torque wrench since it is the subframe and all.
Put the bumper piece back on. I forgot to buy extra clips and of course some broke, others I stepped on.
Then I changed the filter drier. Easy enough to do. Basically remove the hood latch, radiator and condensor bolts, couple bumper clips, disconnect two hoses and slide it up. The only wierd thing was you need a large hex wrench... if thats what they're called, to remove the filter drier cap. I had one that was close enough, probably not metric. But I undid the bottom of the filter drier piece, used long narrow needle nose pliers to get the old out, then just slide the new in with new O rings.
There were metal shavings in the filter drier which concerned me. I was glad to see the compressor was moving, thinking that was good news, but then saw the metal shavings. Not sure what to think. Thoughts?
But anyway, I put the condensor back in, hooked it all back up. Note- the hood latch I just screwed in, then found the hood wouldn't latch. Had to loosen it, raise it a bit then tighten it back down. That did the trick.
I'll go to the AC place in the morning and have them vacuum and recharge it.
I have the expansion valve but really didn't want to have to do it. I guess you have to remove the evaporator and I am really hoping to avoid doing that. I'm hoping the filter drier will catch any debris.
I'll update on how it goes Monday. I didn't bother taking pictures since Snake did such a nice job. But happy to answer questions if I left anything out.
Thanks to Snake for the great pics- and I used my service manual which I love dearly.