Navigation screen goes blank? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Navigation screen goes blank?

I have a 2002 MDX with a wonky navigation screen.

I bought the car used in 2006, and for the first year and a half, everything was fine. Then, about a year ago, the nav screen started going blank periodically. I'd be driving along, and suddenly I'd notice that the screen was black. If I was in the middle of a plotted route, I would still hear voice prompts, but the screen would be black and the touch screen would appear to be inoperative. I believe the buttons didn't work either, but I really couldn't tell.

As time has gone on, it's gotten worse. At this point, the screen is black most of the time, with only occasional times when the screen will light up when I first start the car. Within a few minutes though, it will be black again. Outside temperature doesn't seem to matter, bumps and the like don't seem to matter.

I've been hesitant to try to pull the trim panel to get to the screen because I don't want to break it, but it's all kinds of frustrating.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior before? Is there a fix that doesn't involve spending multiple thousands of dollars on a replace nav screen?

Help!!
erosal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think I have the same problem as you, but mine just started. I went through the diagnostics in the service manual and I think I have a bad display screen. I've been looking on e-bay for a replacement.

It is pretty easy to remove the screen and get it out.
MrPDJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Display Unit Repair

I have been looking around for several weeks for a used unit. They are hard to come by (e-bay is the only place I've seen them) and run about $200

I contacted Alpine and they will repair the display unit for a flat rate of $128.

Send the unit via FedEx or UPS to

Alpine Electronics
2012 Abalone Ave, Unit D
Torrance, CA 90501

If you are going to pay with credit card, they will contact you after diagnosing the problem. If you pay with cashiers check/money order you have to send payment with the unit.

Takes about 5-7 business days to repair and the prices includes return shipping.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Screen back from Alpine!

Got my screen back from Alpine today. The ended up replacing most of it. New LCD, new molding.

They found some cold solder joints and some other problems with the unit.

If your screen has problems, sending it back for repair should be one of your first options. Cost me $128 + 10 to ship it to them. The repair price includes return shipping.

Used screens go for more than that!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

MrPDJ - what kind of symptoms did you have?
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Any help to remove the screen?

Mr PDJ - Thanks for your Alpine repair tip. I am having the exact same problem with my screen and want to go the Alpine repair route. Can you point me in the right direction to get step by step instructions to pull the old screen?

Thanks
From Tim - Acura Cargo Mat and All Weather Mats
KBD431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you search around in the Electronics section, you can probably find some pictures. All you have to do is bend a coat hanger and use it as a "sheep hook" on the air vents to pop the "wood" trim loose. Once you get the trim off, there are 6 bolts holding the radio/nav screen in place. Only a few electrical connectors. Should only take you 15 minutes to get it out.

My symptoms were the screen suddenly turning off and back on or not turning on at all. At first the screen was 95% on, but after a few weeks, the screen was 0% on.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I figured it out

Thanks - I did pickup the coat hanger hook idea somewhere else on this board and it worked great. Once I poped the bezel off the rest was obvious. I sent my screen to alpine, $128 total including shipping and got it back today. We poped it back in and its working great.

Thanks to this post I saved a ton of money and the repair was easy.
From Tim - Acura Cargo Mat and All Weather Mats
KBD431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Question Nav Screen still not working

Just replaced my unit on my 2005 mdx. when i installed the refurbished unit to test it, the screen was still not working (still blank). This rules out that its not the screen that is the problem. Good thing Im able to return it with in 30 days.

Does this mean it is the nav/dvd drive unit (under the passenger seat) or something else? The light is ON the unit and it ejects the CD fine. I also noticed that there is one wire that is not plugged in behind the unit but I checked all outlets and its all being used.

Hope someone can help me. I cant control my AC, nav, and heater.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Question Nav unit goes blank

2001 MDX - My Nav and radio would cut off for a second, at that time the abs-light would come on. Then everything would come back on and the NAV would reset as if it was not on to begin with. Now the screen just comes on sometimes. Has any one had the same pattern of events? Not sure that it is just a NAV screen problem.
santom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to doubleJ Send a message via AIM to doubleJ Send a message via Yahoo to doubleJ
Note that the charge is now $358 for Alpine's repair.
JJ
doubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

2001 MDX and my screen comes on intermittently, sometimes it quits abruptly--when it is on everything (nav, fan speed, etc) works fine. When off, A/C still works using panel buttons, radio works fine. Sent underseat unit to Alpine and they could not replicate the problem, refunded me my $358 (yes, $358!). I guess from above, I may have a screen problem...will get dealer to check that out, then likely will send to Alpine if they are the ones who make the thing.
Side Steps
iPod Hookup
dvc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

So first of all, send it back to repair, and if that doesn't work, get a replacement screen. Looks like this is a common problem on the model unfortunately.

widowsson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Did you solve this problem OP?
jannejan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

needhelpnow

Does anyone happen to know the part numbers to these items? I would like to try and replace them myself
nllkl5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: