05 MDX, Backup camera not working :( - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

05 MDX, Backup camera not working :(

Hey guys, i recently picked up an MDX and it seems that the backup camera isn't working. when i go into reverse, the screen comes up black and i can adjust the zoom but no picture.

is it common for this to fail? i checked ACURAOEMparts.com and this camera assembly is like 600bux?...

how can i fix this? is it an easy DIY
lude_bro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

anyone have any thoughts?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Could be the camera, fuse, problem with the wiring. The camera is suspect though. Try calling Tim at hondacuraworld for a better price and maybe some wiring diagrams.

I thought there was a thread on it here somewhere but the search function is clunky.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dj-mdx2
Could be the camera, fuse, problem with the wiring. The camera is suspect though. Try calling Tim at hondacuraworld for a better price and maybe some wiring diagrams.

I thought there was a thread on it here somewhere but the search function is clunky.
i tried to search for it..and nothing was coming up..i found that weird.

i'll give tim a call at hondaacura world...i'm assuming he's not in Toronto, On :P
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lude_bro

i tried to search for it..and nothing was coming up..i found that weird.

i'll give tim a call at hondaacura world...i'm assuming he's not in Toronto, On :P
Close - he's in Buffalo. I believe he has shipped stuff to Canada before.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

would anyone have any other suggestions? i haven't called hondaacuraworld yet, i'm hoping somoene had a similar problem and a fix for it.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

My 04 hasn't worked in a year. I took everything apart I assume it is the camera (still have yet to put the plastic cover back).

The part number is 39530-53v-a01. The cheapest I've found it to be is at OEM Acura Parts at $580. That's a tough nut to crack. What really is holding me back is that I'm not 100% sure that's what it is. I'd hate to shell out $600 and find out that's not even it.

Anybody figure out any aftermarket solution? Unfortunately the camera is attached to a factory harness, so it is more complicated than just a video signal cable.
CODOG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by CODOG2
My 04 hasn't worked in a year. I took everything apart I assume it is the camera (still have yet to put the plastic cover back).

The part number is 39530-53v-a01. The cheapest I've found it to be is at OEM Acura Parts at $580. That's a tough nut to crack. What really is holding me back is that I'm not 100% sure that's what it is. I'd hate to shell out $600 and find out that's not even it.

Anybody figure out any aftermarket solution? Unfortunately the camera is attached to a factory harness, so it is more complicated than just a video signal cable.
were you able to test the connectivity of each wire in the harness?

how many wire are talking about, power, ground, video, etc..

does the harness attach to something else that might have a fuse?

and yea you're right, 600bux is a tough nut to crack..i'm sure there's an aftermarket solution. We just need to find someone who did it.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

mine was not working about 95% of the time. After I took it apart it never worked again. There are like six wires in the bracket. never tested any of them. Just learned to live without it
Old 03-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
mine was not working about 95% of the time. After I took it apart it never worked again. There are like six wires in the bracket. never tested any of them. Just learned to live without it
by the sounds of it..i might be a lose wire within the harness, if it was working 5% of the time could have been the wire getting connectivity.

when you put it in reverse, does the screen come on and just stay black?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

now it's just black, though sometimes it will kind of flash light.

Before it would be extremely high contrast. If you walked up to it and stuck your face in it, you could faintly make it out (adjusting the contrast did nothing).

I may take one more crack at it when the weather warms up. There must be a replacement camera available
Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
now it's just black, though sometimes it will kind of flash light.

Before it would be extremely high contrast. If you walked up to it and stuck your face in it, you could faintly make it out (adjusting the contrast did nothing).

I may take one more crack at it when the weather warms up. There must be a replacement camera available
well i'll be taking it apart in about two weeks (when the weather warms up), i'll keep you posted.

i'll try to call Tim at hondaacuraworld to see if he has a wiring diagram...i'm suspecting a lose wire of sorts in the harness..
Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

Hate to bring up an oldddd thread, but what was the outcome? Our camera (Or other component) is starting to go bad on the 2004. Sometimes it's perfect, other times it's all weird colors, and other times it's just a black screen. Definitely not paying $600 for a $50 camera.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

had the same issue you just described. Take off the protective rubber gland on the top right that goes from the tailgate to the vehicle. There is a red wire that i broken. This wire has another wire inside of it. The inner one was ripped in my car, problem solved.
mowashear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have a different issue. When I put my MDX in reverse nothing happens not even black screen. StDealer wants 1200 to fix. Any one have same issue. I am handy but just bought MDX. Wife loving it. Now I just want to fix all the little things. wireing diagram would be a big help
mypar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: