Parking on a slope or hill... - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Parking on a slope or hill...

My driveway is on a roughly 30-40 degree downward slope. In the first two months, the e-brakes felt tight as I stepped all the way down on them then shifted to Park.

But I noticed about a week after I got my shocks/struts/rear rotors/brake pads, that after I set the e Brakes and then shift to park, it slips slightly, and now does a harsh CLUNK sound when I shift to reverse or D5.

Does anyone know if this will cause any damage?

Also, could the e-brakes slippage have been caused by any of the shocks/strut/rear rotor/brake work? The harsh clunking noise is very bothersome, as it sounds like a large and heavy metal clunking. It used to be very smooth and flush.

Maybe I'll just go back to them tomorrow and see whats up. But was wondering if anyone had any expertise on this matter.

Thanks,

p
xocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Very good question, I've also noticed this issue. However if i step/push all the way down on parking bake, there is no movement on hills while shifting from P to Reverse and etc... I'm thinking it has to do with the rear brakes which I think is the same thing as applying parking brake. Or maybe the X is too heavy on parking brake on hills?
- John, Nikonian-
01siLmdxT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 02:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

xocruiser take it back to the shop. I been parking on a sloped driveway(car facing upward) for over a year while using my ebrake. Still holds firm, no clunk. Is that your driveway pictured in the rear bumper guard thread?
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 03:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Your automatic transmission's parking pawl is taking all of the stress to hold your vehicle in place. Not good - that's the parking brake's job. That clunk is the sound of disengaging the parking pawl when it has a lot of pressure on it. If the brakes were holding the vehicle, it would go in and out easily, without a clunk.
jhue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 05:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jhue
Your automatic transmission's parking pawl is taking all of the stress to hold your vehicle in place. Not good - that's the parking brake's job. That clunk is the sound of disengaging the parking pawl when it has a lot of pressure on it. If the brakes were holding the vehicle, it would go in and out easily, without a clunk.
This is good accurate information. Either you have PARKING brakes that are FAILING or you are not holding the vehicle still before applying them and shifting into park.

G
Old 12-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by G. COLTON

This is good accurate information. Either you have PARKING brakes that are FAILING or you are not holding the vehicle still before applying them and shifting into park.

G
I just called the mechanic, and he said that the parking brakes has nothing to do with any of the work that he did re: Struts, Shocks, Rotors. But he'll take a look at it today.

Ok, so are you suppose shift to P then apply brakes? I thought that was the right way, but then I got confused somehow and began doing it reverse, Applying P brakes, then shifting to P.

At any rate, it used to be feel tight and stiff when I released the actual brake pedal after applying Parking Brakes and shifting to P. Now when I release it, it feels like it rolls/slips another foot down hill before it stops.

It's about a 30-40 degree downward slope. See photo. I just hate the dreaded CLUNK when I shift out of Park. =(

Hope the guy doesnt try to screw me, he was a referral from a co worker who's gone there for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Parking on a slope or hill...-1209081258a.jpg  
Old 12-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by xocruiser
Ok, so are you suppose shift to P then apply brakes? I thought that was the right way, but then I got confused somehow and began doing it reverse, Applying P brakes, then shifting to P.
You were doing it right, always apply parking brake before shifting to P to minimize any movement. Also when you are shifting out from P, always shift to R or D first then disengage parking brake. It has worked for me for the past 12 yrs.
- John, Nikonian-
Old 12-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 01siLmdxT

You were doing it right, always apply parking brake before shifting to P to minimize any movement. Also when you are shifting out from P, always shift to R or D first then disengage parking brake.
+1. Same way I do it.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

BE SURE to keep your right foot on the regular brakes while applying the parking brake and then shifting to park.

G
Old 12-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Get a load of this.

I went back to the Mechanic to see if he could figure out why it makes such a loud CLUNK when I shift out of Park in my driveway.

He said to NEVER use the Emergency Parking brake, that it will ruin something. He said that it was for Emergency if your brakes fail. He said if your on any hill, just **** to park and its fine.

I think that its full of bolony. Sure enough, I said, this guys out of his mind and left. I'm not going back to him again.

What do you guys think of his advice?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That guy doesnt know what he is talking about. That loud clunk isnt a good thing.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

I wouldn't trust that guy's knowledge again if I were you. He sure doesn't know what he's talking about. I would advise to have your E-brake checked again at some other places.
- John, Nikonian-
Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Try this
While still in D or R with foot on brake pedal set the parking brake.
Shift to Neutral and let foot off parking brake to set car load against parking brake.
Depress brake pedal again and shift to Park.

When leaving step on brake pedal. Shift to P or R
Release parking brake.

This keeps the small movement the car does against the E brake and not against the parking pawl.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by HuMan321
Try this
While still in D or R with foot on brake pedal set the parking brake.
Shift to Neutral and let foot off parking brake to set car load against parking brake.
Depress brake pedal again and shift to Park.

When leaving step on brake pedal. Shift to P or R
Release parking brake.

This keeps the small movement the car does against the E brake and not against the parking pawl.
Thanks, that makes sense. I really think tho, when the mechanic did my rear rotors/shocks, he must have screwed up the EBrakes or didnt tighten them. Oh well, I'm not going to go to them anymore. I'm going to have another guy look at them.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by xocruiser

Thanks, that makes sense. I really think tho, when the mechanic did my rear rotors/shocks, he must have screwed up the EBrakes or didnt tighten them. Oh well, I'm not going to go to them anymore. I'm going to have another guy look at them.
If you try the method above and still find pressure on the parking pawl when you return, then your e-brake is definately not holding properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: