programming key - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-16-2006, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

programming key

My co-worker has an 03 Honda Accord that has a key which has the chip in it. He ordered a replacement key from somewhere online but didn't have it programmed. Does the programming of the chip in the key have to be done by a special machine or can it be programmed like the remote control? I am assuming the MDX uses the technology so if it holds true for the X, I'm sure it's the same answer for the Accord. thanks.

06 RL PWP/Parchment, wood wheel/shift knob, spoiler, b/u camera and mudguards.

Retired 01 MDX Prem/Navi and 03 Navi/DVD
lausy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I'm almost postive you cannot do this yourself. When I needed one, I went to the dealer for a new key. I think there are internet companies that will program the key for you.

Tim @ hondacuraworld.com can do this service as well. Good luck.

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks phins2rt. I sent Tim an email also.

06 RL PWP/Parchment, wood wheel/shift knob, spoiler, b/u camera and mudguards.

Retired 01 MDX Prem/Navi and 03 Navi/DVD
lausy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2006, 06:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

From my experience, the code from the chip is cloned (copied) from a working existing key to the new key.

Thank goodness Honda/Acura did this. Our Toyota Sienna, we need to bring the van in, the keys are uniquely coded and must have its code read by the ECU (computer) in the van. And you are limited to how many keys can be programmed into the van, after that you need to replace the ECU. Kind of dumb of Toyota, IMHO.

Just bring you blank key to Honda or Acura dealer along with one of the original keys and have them program it. They will charge you a small fee. Or do it when you get service done, they might not charge you to do program the key then (it only takes 10 seconds).

Good luck.

TeamTMS Group (a Honda/Acura family)
'11 Honda Odyssey Touring
'10 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'08 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'06 Honda Pilot EX-L Navi
'04 Acura TL-Navi
'03 Acura RSX
'01 Acura MDX Touring
'00 Honda Accord EX V6
teamTMS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

when you get a key programmed it is not cloned from an existing one. if that were true and you lost all the keys you would have a useless vehicle.

only the dealer can program a key, if someone else could do it then it wouldnt be much os a security feature would it.

the dealer must hook up there scan tool and go through the process. they also need to get a Immobilizer code from the internet (Hondacom)
Halgsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2006, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

only the dealer can program a key, if someone else could do it then it wouldnt be much os a security feature would it.

the dealer must hook up there scan tool and go through the process. they also need to get a Immobilizer code from the internet (Hondacom)

That is absoutely not true. Certain locksmith have the scan tool and they will come up to make the key for you. This happened to my co-worker last year. She lost her only key in the office and her car was stucked in the garage. When she called the dealer, they told her that she would have to bring her car in but she would have to get the car tow there because they don't come out. When I call AAA for her, I just mention the situtation and they said you don't need a tow, they called a locksmith instead. The only thing she had to pay for was the 2 keys with the chip and programming on the spot for $120.

There are Internet company that does programming of your new key if you send them one of your original key.
vlam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2006, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

My dealer told me that, with the MDX, the key and the car are programed together. You just can't 'copy' the key. As a matter of fact, the car's ECU will accept only three transponder codes.

These codes are stored on the key as an RFID tag that cannot be copied. Every key is different, and must be matched to the car.
Neo ProLink iPod Adapter
Parrot CK3000 Evolution Bluetooth
highcountrymdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

since i work at a dealer my info is correct, and you can have a max of 6 keys programmed to your vehicle.

AAA cannot do this, only the dealer. why would honda let a independent company copy there security feature??
Old 03-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here is a company that does exactly what I was describing about my co-worker situation. I would not be surprise if that was the company that did it since they are a AAA affiliate.

http://www.streetkeys.com/

The locksmith that showed up was definitely not someone from the dealership.
vlam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Halgsr
when you get a key programmed it is not cloned from an existing one. if that were true and you lost all the keys you would have a useless vehicle.

From my understanding, the only need to hook up to the car if you want to remove all the keys or a particular key from the ECU.

I got spare master keys (yes, not one but two keys) made and they DID NOT need my MDX there. The RFID code can be copied.

'10 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'08 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'04 Acura TL-Navi
'03 Acura RSX
'01 Acura MDX Touring
'00 Honda Accord EX V6
Old 03-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by vlam
Here is a company that does exactly what I was describing about my co-worker situation. I would not be surprise if that was the company that did it since they are a AAA affiliate.

http://www.streetkeys.com/

The locksmith that showed up was definitely not someone from the dealership.

Oh my!

Streetkeys.com wants $30 for the Acura blank, then $30 to cut and activate the key? I had my extra keys made at Acura for $40 each when I did my oil change. And they didn't even need to goto the MDX to program anything. They read the code from my master key and cut/programmed 2 more master keys for me.

NOTE: I have the 2001 MDX; I don't know about the more current models.

'10 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'08 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'04 Acura TL-Navi
'03 Acura RSX
'01 Acura MDX Touring
'00 Honda Accord EX V6
Old 03-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

my mistake, the website looks reputable.

it must be an american only thing, cuz here in canada i havent heard of that type of service.

i do know that at my dealer when we program keys we must be in the vehicle to program them and have a special code from Hondacom.

it is possible that the immobilizer system in the states is different
Old 03-04-2006, 11:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Halgsr
it is possible that the immobilizer system in the states is different
Hey Tim, care to comment? Is the keys for the Canada model different?

'10 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'08 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'04 Acura TL-Navi
'03 Acura RSX
'01 Acura MDX Touring
'00 Honda Accord EX V6
Old 12-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Does this work?

I have seen this posting is a few places, does it work:

Is the key cut? I am not sure if it's the same for the MDX but here is the instruction for programming the 2nd generation TL key

1...your new key
2...a MASTER KEY (one with the remote in it)already programmed to car.
to program the transponder- (thats the immobilizer part)
sitting in dr. seat, put the master key in ignition, and turn to on.engine OFF. press the gas pedal 5 times to floor and release. now press brake 6 times (press and release)
remove master key from ignition. install new key and turn to on...engine off. press gas to floor once. now wait. the security light will blink for about 45-60 seconds, then it will go off if you did it correctly. once the light is off, car should start.

For the remote part. in drivers seat WITH DOOR OPEN. start with door unlocked. first put master key in ignition, turn to on, then back off and remove. using the lock/unlock button on drivers door. press lock.. then unlock 5 times.(lock,unlock,lock,unlock,lock,unlock,lock,un lock,lock,unlock)
Close drivers door, open drivers door.
Performe lock/unlock procedure again.
insert key in to ignition and turn to on, then back off and remove.(at this point the doors should lock and unlock by themselves ONCE)
Now press both lock and unlock buttons on REMOTE. release after about 1.5seconds. now press just the lock button on remote.
now open and close the drivers door a couple times to close programming. if you did it right, remote will now work.

03 Acura MDX Touring
05 Suzuki SV1000S
2Phast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to hondacuraplanet
I've never seen that key programming procedure before in all my time with Acura and on this board. I'd be really interested to see if it actually works.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: