a/c compressor failure - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

a/c compressor failure

I was told by the dealership that I would need to replace the a/c compressor, clutch, and coil on my 03 MDX with 64k miles. Has anyone else had this kind of bad luck with their a/c system.
swolt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

What he's telling you is to replace the complete AC compressor, which is the way that they come assembled.

If the AC does not cool, I would check if you have a leak first if so replacing the compressor will not do anything.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Definately push for "goodwill" replacement with only 64K.
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Groo
What he's telling you is to replace the complete AC compressor, which is the way that they come assembled.
Actually, only recently that is the case. Honda has a new remanufactured compressor program going. Those units come complete.

A brand new compressor would be stripped. No pulley/clutch and no stator coil. Those are three separate parts.
SuperTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2005, 01:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Once a compressor fails, how much concern is there for system contamination by the compressor internals?

I would think a flush is essential, but what else? Receiver/drier? coils?

Having gone through 2 ac systems on a Furd, I didn't mess around when I did the infiniti- compressor, evap, receiver drier, and removed the condensor and flushed...

fix it right the first time, or pay later again

A

PS Yes press for some assistance with acura- too bad no extended warranty- it'd be free for the next 36000 miles- and then some.
2012 X5 35d Diesel (Sweet)
2001 F250 4x4PSD (Beast)
another truck, two tractors...
ardvarkus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2005, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

If a compressor is coming apart or has already grenaded, you'll probably want to replace the receiver-drier. Unfortunately, on an MDX...this is integrated with the condensor. Gets a little pricey to do. It also would be bad to replace the expansion valve, but this is a big pain to get at, so I wouldn't bother unless you know for a fact that metal bits are in the lines.

Other brands use what's called an orifice tube (looks like a skinny inline filter shoved inside the pressure line at one of the couplings) . GM loves these. They're cheap, and easy to replace while you've got the system opened up.

Honda expansion valves are inside the evaporator box hanging out next to the evaporator. The MDX is not the worst Honda to pull the evaporator case out of, but it sure isn't as easy as a GM orifice tube.
SuperTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2005, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

My A/C is out completely! I'm dying. Nearest dealer 2 hrs - and I live in Louisiana as well where it is hot as blue blazes. I came here to see if anyone else has a problem with the A/C but there doesn't seem to be too many. There is a Honda dealer about 1 hr away - anyone have experience taking their MDX there?
Morgan89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgan89
My A/C is out completely! I'm dying. Nearest dealer 2 hrs - and I live in Louisiana as well where it is hot as blue blazes. I came here to see if anyone else has a problem with the A/C but there doesn't seem to be too many. There is a Honda dealer about 1 hr away - anyone have experience taking their MDX there?
I'd find out what is wrong with the AC first before committing to a dealership visit.

Should we assume you are OUT of warranty? if it is under warranty, you choices are:

Dealer

If out of warranty, I'd say go to a local AC shop for a diagnostic- then decide who should do it. no matter where you go, make sure they do it right. I've had dealers do poor jobs and independents do excellent work...
2001 F250 4x4PSD (Beast)
Old 08-21-2005, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

For the past week there is a "squeeling" sound coming from the engine when the compressor kicks in.Is it merely the belt or sign of greater expenses to come (compressor failure?). Would appreciate advice from the expert techs on the panel. I am out of warranty for the compressor as my vehicle has 94,000 KM (58 K miles).
Old 08-21-2005, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mhassan
For the past week there is a "squeeling" sound coming from the engine when the compressor kicks in.Is it merely the belt or sign of greater expenses to come (compressor failure?). Would appreciate advice from the expert techs on the panel. I am out of warranty for the compressor as my vehicle has 94,000 KM (58 K miles).
Most of the time "sqeeling" is a belt, but it could also be a clutch. Less likely an internal compressor problem However, anything is prossible without actually hearing it.

G
Old 08-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ardvarkus

I'd find out what is wrong with the AC first before committing to a dealership visit.

Should we assume you are OUT of warranty? if it is under warranty, you choices are:

Dealer

If out of warranty, I'd say go to a local AC shop for a diagnostic- then decide who should do it. no matter where you go, make sure they do it right. I've had dealers do poor jobs and independents do excellent work...
Thanks for the advice. I live in the middle of nowhere Louisiana but did call the two places that offer A/C service. Neither wanted to work on my acura but I don't know why. This is definetly not a place where you see many Acura's. Anyway, I had to take it up to Honda (it's certainly out of warranty with 88K miles on it!!!) and they said it was a blown resistor. I haven't searched the site yet to see what that means (clearly I'm not a mechanically inclined gal) and if others have had similiar problems. They are going to fix it for $200 and got a free loaner from them. The part should be overnighted and car fixed tomorrow. It's too hot here not to have A/C!!! If the Honda dealer does a good job I'll be grateful I have somewhere within 60 miles for my service appointments.

If anyone happens to know anything about this resistor I'd be grateful for the info. I learn a lot on this site from my constant lurking
Morgan89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I live in the middle of nowhere Louisiana but did call the two places that offer A/C service. Neither wanted to work on my acura but I don't know why. This is definetly not a place where you see many Acura's. Anyway, I had to take it up to Honda (it's certainly out of warranty with 88K miles on it!!!) and they said it was a blown resistor. I haven't searched the site yet to see what that means (clearly I'm not a mechanically inclined gal) and if others have had similiar problems. They are going to fix it for $200 and got a free loaner from them. The part should be overnighted and car fixed tomorrow. It's too hot here not to have A/C!!! If the Honda dealer does a good job I'll be grateful I have somewhere within 60 miles for my service appointments.

If anyone happens to know anything about this resistor I'd be grateful for the info. I learn a lot on this site from my constant lurking
There is a common resistor problem that stops the rear A/C blower from working but I haven't heard of it taking the whole A/C system out:

Link
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

I live in the middle of nowhere Louisiana
I didn't realize there was a part of Louisana that *wasn't* in the middle of nowhere....

(Sorry, couldn't resist- have friends in Homa and they're constantly being slighted by us northerners...)

I thought of the rear AC problem as well- it only affects the rear unit....

Anyway, glad it worked of for a relatively painless 200!
2001 F250 4x4PSD (Beast)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: