EGR port cleaning - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-18-2005, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

EGR port cleaning

I have an '01 mdx w/77,000 miles on it and am experiencing the common engine light/vtm4 light. I replaced the egr valve to no effect. I have seen people mention that the ports may be clogged. Can anyone tell me exactly where the ports are and how to clean them? I have done a search and can't seem to find this specific information.
Thanks,
christeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2005, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Re: EGR port cleaning

Quote:
Originally posted by christeb1
I have an '01 mdx w/77,000 miles on it and am experiencing the common engine light/vtm4 light. I replaced the egr valve to no effect. I have seen people mention that the ports may be clogged. Can anyone tell me exactly where the ports are and how to clean them? I have done a search and can't seem to find this specific information.
Thanks,
Not really clogged (in most cases) just dirty. Probably more important to have it cleaned behind the throttle plate, and the throat itself.
Some dealers charge 90 bucks to run a cleaner through the intake system.
OR you can carefully clean the throttle body and plate, remove the plastic engine cover, then the circular plate with it's gasket, on top of the intake manifold. Not nececssary to 'replace' the gasket unless it's damaged.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do not spray anything into the throttle bore. Spray some carb cleaner on a rag, hold open the throttle plate, and use the rag to clean the bore.

Spraying chemicals into the throttle body may cause problems with the Idle Air Control Valve.
SuperTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperTech
Do not spray anything into the throttle bore. Spray some carb cleaner on a rag, hold open the throttle plate, and use the rag to clean the bore.

Spraying chemicals into the throttle body may cause problems with the Idle Air Control Valve.
Thanks for the clarification. I know several months ago we were looking at a 'system' which included an applicator and pads with a cleaning solution. Can't remember the name now. But it looked like it was only sold commercially.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Chris:

The problem might not be with your EGR valve, but with the IAC. When my Check Engine Light and VTM-4 Light came on, I also thought it was the EGR, but it turned out to be the IAC instead. The good news is that you can remove the IAC and spray clean it with carb cleaner. At least it worked for me. To be sure, get a code reader and read the code first.

Regards
NewMDXOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for your help guys! I'll try out your suggestions and let you know what happens.
christeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey NewMDXOwner,
Can you provide more DIY info on cleaning the IAC? Where is it? What is it? How do you clean it?

Same question for the EGR. Know any links to DIY instructions for changing/cleaning the EGR valve?

Thanks.
arnel_lim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

First of all, I am a newbie so excuse me if this is the wrong thread, or if I am providing redundant information......

I have an '02 MDX w/ 93K and got a dreaded MIL & VTM4 light about a month ago. When I read the codes (using a generic OBDII reader), I got multiple misfires. I cleared them and continued to drive and got multiple misfires again a few days later. (This time different cylinders, but both times it was four different misfire codes)

The only drivability problems I noticed were a slight shutter under light throttle load at approximately 1500 RPM. The shutter was most notable in 5th gear at about 50 mph.

Stumped, I read these forums and started on my pursuit to repair. Like any wise do-it-yourselfer mechanic, I started cheap by checking the battery and found it only had about 400 CCA. Thinking this could cause insufficient voltage to the coils, I replaced it and reset the codes. (It needed it anyways.....just let me keep telling myself that.) No fix.....same codes came back a few days later.

Next, I changed the sparkplugs and air filter and reset the codes again only to have them come back on again a few days later.

By this time, I had researched this forum extensively and decided my next approached involved more costly parts and/or labor. (possible EGR valve, or o2 sensor, or valve adjustment.)

EGR valve was the cheapest, so thats what I bought. When I replaced it and reset, I got the same codes again within 10 miles.

I was soooo perplexed by this point that I finally broke down and called my dealer...which is what I should have done to start with!
While I was describing my problems to them and answering some of their questions, I learned that my wife had been running 87 octane fuel in our MDX for the last 45,000 miles!!!!

My dealer told me that it was definitely clogged EGR ports. They continued to tell me that it would cost me about $350 to have them perform the service. They also told me that if I had the mechanical aptitude to change a light bulb then I should do the job myself and save the $$$.......they even offered to give me the TSB to do it with.

I went straight to the dealership, got the TSB and a bottle of "top engine cleaner".....when I asked about the gasket needed, they told me to be careful with the old one and save that $$$ too!!!

I took the TSB home, and in about 30 minutes cleaned the EGR ports (which were not "just dirty"....they were "CLOGGED") and ran the top engine cleaner through. After another code reset my MDX runs PERFECT again... No more codes and my mileage has gone from 18 MPH back up to about 25 MPG. LIFE IS GOOD!

I am not going to get into detail about how to clean the EGR ports because I think it is covered in either this thread or another, but I will say it was practically as easy as changing the oil. I anyone needs pointers on how to do it, let me know.

Hopefully this information helps someone with the same problems I had.....

A couple of final notes.....

1. My wife now know that our mdx REQUIRES premium fuel.....
2. I have a practically "brand new" EGR valve for sale listed in
the classified forums.
3. I dont know if my computer ever gave an "EGR insufficient
flow" code because I did not have the Acura specific codes in
my generic scanner, and the dealer told me to save my $$$
and not hook it up to their scanner.
4. BIG KUDOS to Kendall Acura of Eugene, OR and Honda World
of Coos Bay,OR for their help.

Lastly, we will be in the market for a new vehicle again soon, and thanks to the helpfulness and professionalism of the two dealerships listed above our new vehicle will DEFANITELY be a Honda or Acura.
fftonyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

^^^^Great info! Thanks for sharing!

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

i will email you for all the info
Old 04-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Do you mind post the TSB or tell us the TSB number? It will be nice to have it as a reference for the future. Thanks.
proman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Someone definitely need to post a how-to on this. Seems like a simple fix.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Zrelaxed
Quote:
Originally posted by fftonyz
I went straight to the dealership, got the TSB and a bottle of "top engine cleaner".....when I asked about the gasket needed, they told me to be careful with the old one and save that $$$ too!!!

I took the TSB home, and in about 30 minutes cleaned the EGR ports (which were not "just dirty"....they were "CLOGGED") and ran the top engine cleaner through. After another code reset my MDX runs PERFECT again... No more codes and my mileage has gone from 18 MPH back up to about 25 MPG. LIFE IS GOOD!

I am not going to get into detail about how to clean the EGR ports because I think it is covered in either this thread or another, but I will say it was practically as easy as changing the oil. I anyone needs pointers on how to do it, let me know.

Looks like my MDX may have the same issue - clogged EGR ports as I'm experiencing the same symptoms and same codes. Can you forward the TSB on how to clean the EGR ports? I can't find it anywhere nor can I find any instructions in this forum. Thanks!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Zrelaxed

Looks like my MDX may have the same issue - clogged EGR ports as I'm experiencing the same symptoms and same codes. Can you forward the TSB on how to clean the EGR ports? I can't find it anywhere nor can I find any instructions in this forum. Thanks!!!
Ditto on the TBS if someone has it. I would like to take a look at mine as I am sure it is in need of cleaning.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Maybe this. Cant find the other threads about it. Damn u Search!
http://acuramdx.org/forums/showthrea...r&pagenumber=1
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: