Interior lights continue to stay on...Acura can't find the problem - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Interior lights continue to stay on...UPDATE

A few wks ago I posted about a problem with my 2003 MDX. The interior lights occasionally go on spontaneously and the locks open while the driver's side door open indicator lights up. I brought the car to my Acura dealership and they couldn't find the problem because the car wasn't acting up when I brought it in. Their advice..."bring the car in when the lights are acting up"
Naturally the car is always okay by the time I get to the dealership.

The car had been fine for quite a while after this, then yesterday the interior lights would flash on and off and the door locks would unlock every time I went over a bump or when I made a right turn. Really weird. Once again it was fine at the dealrship and none could figure out the problem

Last night,after midnight, the car alarm went off and when I checked, the car had unlocked itself and the interior lights were on which I suspect is what set off the alarm. This time the interior lights wouldn't go off even after I turned off the alarm and they went off themselves after about 20 minutes.

Each time this happens it has either snowed or rained at some point during the day.

Please help. Sarha
sarha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2005, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

My first step would be to go back to the alarm installer. This sounds like a short and based on the "unlocking" of the doors which is not a standard MDX feature (other than physically hitting the open button) but is usually a feature of an alarm, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that something from that installation has worked it's way loose.
1966 Corgi 267 Batmobile Bat Black/Bat Red - Triple Rocket Tubes, Chain Slasher Blade, Turbine Jet Exhaust, Spring Suspension
andreseng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Andreseng, the alarm system is the factory installed system that I thought was standard with the MDX. So are you saying I should go back to the dealer and suggest they look at the alarm system?

Thanks, I'll try that.
Sarha
Old 02-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheWorm Send a message via Yahoo to TheWorm
My first guess would've been a bad ground or switch on the driver's door, but if the locks are popping away, too, I'd be looking for a bad or intermittent ground on the doorlock switches. Unfortunately, that doesn't explain the D-door-open indicator.

I wonder whether both the door switch and lock/unlock switches run on the same harness and/or share a ground.
tailgate deflector | silver powdercoated Acura steps | moonroof visor | full wood dash+wheel+shiftknob | startac/timeport phone kit | video system | BSMs | mud flaps | cargo stuff | backup sensors | XenonDepot 4300k HIDs | Sylvania SilverStar fogs and highs | DRL kit | zaino

'07 BMW 550i

'04 Infiniti G35 Coupe - in good hands of a fellow X'er
TheWorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nightguy
Quote:
Originally posted by TheWorm
My first guess would've been a bad ground or switch on the driver's door, but if the locks are popping away, too, I'd be looking for a bad or intermittent ground on the doorlock switches. Unfortunately, that doesn't explain the D-door-open indicator.

I wonder whether both the door switch and lock/unlock switches run on the same harness and/or share a ground.
Ground is kind of what I was thinking. Could it have something to do with the keyless entry module ? That's one place that would involve the locks, lights and alarm. Maybe the windshield is leaking or condensation is appearing somewhere and dripping.

Just throwing out ideas.

2004 Touring/SBP/Quartz/cargo cover, cargo tray, OEM trailer hitch kit
nightguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have another appt. with Acura on Tuesday. I'm going to print out this thread and bring it with me.

thanks, Sarha
Old 02-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Re: Interior lights continue to stay on...Acura can't find the problem

Quote:
Originally posted by sarha
the interior lights would flash on and off and the door locks would unlock every time I went over a bump or when I made a right turn.
The same thing happened to me, on separate time periods, for two different reasons. The good thing is that its easy to check and easy to rule out as one of the problems.

The first problem was due to the contact terminal on the driver's door switch coming loose. I couldn't visually tell it was loose, but I found looseness when I tightened the screw. Problem gone.

A year later the same symptoms returned but the door switch was fine. Turned out the door lock latch has worked its way loose and the door did not close all the way, causing the door switch to activate.

It could be one of these two problems on either the driver's door, or the left passenger door, but your dash indicator light should have told you which one.

Because it happens with the centrifugal force created on a right turn, I'm sure its has to do with the door switch, in one manner or another. If your car is parked and locked, and the switch activates from being loose, the alarm will think it was an intruder opening the door from smashing the window or a slim jim. Also, if the switch is activated while you are driving with the door locked, the computer will think you parked the car, left the key in the ignition, and had just locked yourself out of the car, initiating an automatic unlock signal from from the computer. To understand what I mean, open your driver's window, leave the key in the ignition but in the off position (actually any position will do), lock the door and then close it. You will see that the lock will immediately pop back up.

When you came out from the house to find that the doors had unlocked itself and the alarm was sounding, I have some ideas but I first need to know how you usually secure your MDX; manually lock the doors, use the remote key fob, or both (I know what some of your are thinking, but you never know).

The door switch is the black plastic plate with a rubber boot, and the door lock latch is the silver u-shaped bracket, make sure both are tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior lights continue to stay on...Acura can't find the problem-door-switch-lock-latch.jpg  
Old 02-26-2005, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

PsychoKnight, thanks for your very detailed reply.
To answer your question, I always use the remote key fob to lock the doors.

Sarha
Old 02-26-2005, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Gregc
I would also suspect the Driver's side Door Switch, as the issue seems to be associated with that door. The other parts that may cause this type of issue is the Multiplex control unit in the driver's door (that is built into the Power Window Master switch), or the Multiplex control unit for the driver's side.

If you have a Service manual there is a lot of good information on how to check the Multiplex units. If this only seems to appear after rain it could be the water is getting in to the Multiplex control unit in the driver's door, you can take the trim off around the Drivers side power windows switches and look at the connectors to be sure there is no corroded terminals. The Multiplex control unit for the drivers side is located in the under dash fuse-relay box on the drivers side so I would not suspect water got into that.

The multiplex controls the function of a lot of things:

Engine Oil Pressure indicator
Seat Belt Reminder
Lights-on Reminder
Key-in Reminder
Key light timer
Dash Lights Brightness Control
Entry Light Control
Automatic Lights-off
Power Door Locks
Power Window and Moonroof
Windshield Wiper/Washer
Security Alarm
Interlock
Memory Seat and Mirror Control

Greg in Atlanta
Gregc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2005, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just spoke with the service manager at my Acura dealership and he tells me he thinks he fixed the problem. Apparently the seatbelt lock must have gotten stuck in the door when the door closed and knocked the door sensor out of alignment.

I don't really see what connection this has to the fact that the problem only seems to occur when it rains or snows, but I guess I'll have to wait and see if he is correct.

Just wanted to let you know the outcome. I appreciate all the help people have given.

Sarha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: