Broken Rear AC. Grrr... - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to BWSmith201 Send a message via Yahoo to BWSmith201
Angry Broken Rear AC. Grrr...

Hi all, please forgive me if this should be redundant. I did a search and didn't have any luck...

The rear AC in my X is not working (nor is the heat). THe display lights up when the control is transferred back there (so I figure its not a fuse, correct me if I'm wrong...) but nothing at all happens, no matter what the setting. Not even the fan.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is it going to be a pain in the neck to get it fixed? I can't figure out if its the fan, compressor, or what.

I'm still under warranty, at least for another 8k, but I'm concerned that they're going to have to take the whole thing apart, which would doubtlessly take a while (maybe I shouldn't complain about that, eh?).

No kids or anything (someday, hopefully, but that's a separate discussion!), so it really isn't THAT big of a deal, but I wanna get it fixed while its still under the warranty. Don't want the dogs to get too hot!

What has anyone else's experience been?

Thanks for the input!
BWSmith201 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2004, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I remember other folks having the same problem. I think it was either a fuse or broken blower motor, take it to the dealer, should be a warranty item.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

I just had mine repaired yesterday. It was a defective transistor. The service advisor knew right away what was the cause. It apparently already has occured on many MDXs. I also got the TSB on the clicking brakes done and the recall on the transmission done. They were finished in less than 3 hours. I was also lucky to get an '04 TSX as a loaner, great car.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Unhappy Me Too

Mine stopped working yesterday at 50,200 miles on a 2002. I am hoping that the dealer will make the repair under warranty.
danstub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2004, 03:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Same here. Broke rear A/C or blower.
hhwc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2004, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Whoa! I didn't know this was such a common problem. I'm taking it in on Tuesday for service, I'll ask the service advisor about those causes, for sure. I'll let you all know how it turns out (since I'm sure it will keep you all in suspense until then, after all!).

Thank you all for the input, it's been very helpful!! I didn't have any idea it was such a problem for so many people. Thanks again, have a good one...

BWS
Old 05-27-2004, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Problem solved!

It turned out to be a defective blower motor. They at first suggested that it might be that transistor, but since there was power for the light on the console they ruled that out.

They kept it over night but it was covered by warranty. No problems now.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Have a good one...
Old 06-04-2004, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikel
Wink

Acura replaced my rear blower motor about a yeat ago at 48,000 miles, though it did take a couple of trips to the dealership; first it was, "what noise?", then after I drove the service tech around for 5 minutes "oh, THAT noise" which they supposedly fixed, and then two weeks later when the thing sounded like a helicopter taking off...they replaced it.

I must say, that in comparison to friends and neighbors who have lesser cars (Chrysler, SAAB, BMW, Mercedes) Honda/Acura does the best job of standing behind their products and taking care of things when they go wrong.
Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2004, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Another

We just discovered this weekend that our rear air unit no longer works. Same as mentioned before...power to the controls but nothing else. The fuse is good. I got my transmission recall notice last week so when it goes in for that I will have them fix it. 2001-43K.

Niles

2006 Jeep Commander

'02 Toyota Tundra TRD 2WD (Mine)
nwaring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2004, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Re: Another

Quote:
Originally posted by nwaring
We just discovered this weekend that our rear air unit no longer works. Same as mentioned before...power to the controls but nothing else. The fuse is good. I got my transmission recall notice last week so when it goes in for that I will have them fix it. 2001-43K.

Niles
Same here!! Returning from Tahoe and the aircond was initially running on OT trying to cool the car down when I noticed nothing was coming out of the rear vents. Looks like a trend here. (27K)
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2004, 12:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Has anyone seen a TSB on this subject? Just discovered same problem and I am out of warranty.
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2004, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to laborlitigator Send a message via Yahoo to laborlitigator
You can try to remove the cover (simply lift the shoulder rest and there are two phillips screws that have to be removed and then the cover will come off) and see whether all of the connections are together. Otherwise, it should be the fuse.
'02 Mesa Beige, Fender Flares, Running Boards, Mud Flaps, Moonroof Visor, Burlwood nob, "wooden" steering wheel, roof rack, all season mats, HID, painted wind deflector (self installed, oh, yeah), body side molding, 6100K superbright whites, dual IKON headrests, PS2, Blitzsafe CD adapter

BMW X5 4.4
BMW M3 CiC
laborlitigator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2004, 12:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Seems to be a more common problem, if the fuse is good, it's more likely the blower motor. Still have not have mine diagnosed yet, but it's still under warranty.
Should not be too difficult for the DIYer to do, with the shop manual.
Motors for rear and front look similar. Good luck finding one (new) under $100.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2004, 11:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Mine went out last week while on vacation. Talked to a service guy in Huntsville AL while passing thru and he said it was probably the transistor. Said they had done several lately and he was out of them and the part was on national backorder. Must be a trend... Bummer is that I am 5k out of warranty!

Wade
2001 MDX
wamiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2004, 06:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wamiller
Mine went out last week while on vacation. Talked to a service guy in Huntsville AL while passing thru and he said it was probably the transistor. Said they had done several lately and he was out of them and the part was on national backorder. Must be a trend... Bummer is that I am 5k out of warranty!

Wade
2001 MDX
I would ask them to cover it as a warranty item since it seems to be a pretty common problem. Escalate to Customer care if you have to.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: