Broken Rear AC. Grrr... - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by BWSmith201
It turned out to be a defective blower motor. They at first suggested that it might be that transistor, but since there was power for the light on the console they ruled that out.

Quick question of clarification - If there is power for the Rear Control light on the main panel up front, the transistor is OK? I haven't taken mine in yet and want to make sure they have the correct part before leaving it there. My light does work so based on the info here I figure I've got a bad blower.

Wade
2001 MDX
wamiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2004, 02:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Re: Question

Quote:
Originally posted by wamiller

Quick question of clarification - If there is power for the Rear Control light on the main panel up front, the transistor is OK? I haven't taken mine in yet and want to make sure they have the correct part before leaving it there. My light does work so based on the info here I figure I've got a bad blower.

Wade
2001 MDX
That sounds logical. But I would not replace the blower before actually putting the power to it to make sure it is dead.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2004, 06:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

The darn transistor is still on backorder, has been for a month according to Acura. The crossover part from the Pilot is also on backorder, although it's somewhat cheaper, so might be worth looking into. I still don't know whether it's the blower itself, the relay or transistor, hopefully should find that out soon.

--Mike
mwdelta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2004, 07:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

I tested the transistor in mine and it works. Any technically minded people have an idea on what to test next? Where is this relay that was mentioned located? I will be checking the blower motor connections and should have a service manual soon, which will help.

--Mike
Old 07-21-2004, 10:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pointman
Answer to your problems:)

I have a 2001 MDX with 116,000 miles It has been a great car but have had a few minor problems. One of them was what you are talking about (the rear blower not working) I don't remember what it is called but there is a device that plugs into a socket under the armrest. If you make sure your drivers seat is all the way back you can remove the panel below the gear shift selector. This piece installs towards the back of the arm rest under the shift selector. If you go into the Acura dealership and tell them what the problem is, they will know what you are talking about. Allthough not reported as a recall problem I think this was a part that went out frequentley. You are lucky as you are still under warranty, I was not and it cost me 160.00 They can probably install it in 15 minutes Anyway, hope that helps, I have run into a few other issues including the tranny recall, so if I can be of help later just ask
pointman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2004, 03:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Our rear a/c went our at about 40,000 miles also -
Dealer fixed. Seems lots have probelms with it.
DBUFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2004, 05:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Acura rear AC

Yes, I think it is. After I replaced the little coil thing to get the rear a/c back up and running, my fan for the rear a/c went out LOL It is real easy to get to (pull the panel off by the front passenger seat just below the shift selector) so I pulled the fan out and it turned out to be bad brushes in the fan motor. Here we go (Acura wants 200.00 for a new fan motor and that seems the only place you can get one) So, I took the fan motor down to a little electrial motor shop and they gave me some new brushes for about 3.00 and some change. Well, it worked for a while but ultimetley I ended up buying a new motor Other then a couple of dash lights going out everything seems to be working well at this time and I am running on 116,000 plus
Old 07-28-2004, 04:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

Rear AC fixed

I finally took my '01 MDX in this morning to have the rear AC fixed. The problem was the transistor. Based on some earlier posts, I thought my blower might be bad, but that was not the case.

My dealer is Mac Churchill in Fort Worth. I am about 6K miles out of warranty and asked my service advisor what the odds were of getting it fixed under warranty since I wasn't very far above 50K. He said that they would take care of it since I had used them for my 15,30 and 45K maintenance. Less than an hour and I was on my way. Based on some of the horror stories regarding other dealers and their service departments, I can't say enough good things about my dealings with this dealer.

Wade
2001 MDX
wamiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2004, 10:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

whoa, this seems to be more of a problem than Acura first realized.....thanks for all your input on this. Mine is fine, but this is reminiscent of the weeping mirror problem in the 2001.....a few, then a lot of people commented on the same problem.....maybe Acura will issue a TSB for this as well....

2010 B/B MDX Advance Package
octavian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2004, 11:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

weepin mirror?

Not familiar with that one but, is it the high pitch noise that is made when you are driving over 55 in a pretty strong wind? Very curios about this as my 01 MDX has done this since day one and I am on 116,000 miles now
Old 07-28-2004, 11:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Re: weepin mirror?

Quote:
Originally posted by pointman
Not familiar with that one but, is it the high pitch noise that is made when you are driving over 55 in a pretty strong wind? Very curios about this as my 01 MDX has done this since day one and I am on 116,000 miles now
Lots of info on it here...do some searches....mostly related to the front windshield (thinner glass & seal) .. putting window screening spline in the 'groove' around the window seal seemed to help.
Repositioning the roof rack beginning in 02 seemed to quiet things down also.
116K miles, that's great!
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2004, 11:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

Great Thanks for the info

Has anyone heard anything yet on the next gen MDX that is supposed to be coming out in the fall of 05? I did hear that it should have the same 300hp engine that is coming out in the new RL
Old 08-08-2004, 09:02 PM   #28 (permalink)

How to replace transistor

All,

Like the above posts, my rear fan is not working, even in manual mode. The fuse is fine, and the vent selection buttons light up in manual mode.

So, I want to first figure out where this transitor is that might need replacing.

I removed the lower panel on the drivers side, below the gear shift. I also remove the plood on the gear shift. I also took out the drink holder.

Can some one tell me what else needs to be removed so that I can locate this transistor? Also exactly where is it? How big is it?

I also don't know how to take the center console apart, any more that it already is.

Help!

rflagg
Red Rocker '02 Touring & Navi. Wood shifter and meter trim, BSM, Cargo Net & liner, door edge guards, trailer hitch, front & rear air deflectors, Dual Lightening Generators (AKA Stage 1 HIDS) - One bad a$$ SUV!
rflagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2004, 09:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

The only trim piece you need to remove is the plastic side of the center console, which goes from the firewall to the front of the seat. After moving the seat back, pull out at the front, popping the clips and remove the panel. The transistor is located inside of a boot-shaped opening near the front of the seat (right of the blower intake screen). The TSB suggests wearing protective gloves while removing this item. Reach into the hole, depress the lock tab, allowing the transistor to turn clockwise. Once it's free, pull it partway out and disconnect the harness. You need to then do a resistance test to see if it's working correctly or not. PM me for a copy of the TSB if you'd like to see pictures or more instructions for removal.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

rear a/c inop

The transistor is bad. It is located under the shifter console, and can be changed out easily by pulling off the side console cover.
livinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: