Any way to polish out interior plastic scratches? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-08-2003, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Any way to polish out interior plastic scratches?

I've searched the threads on this issue and found no answer. The problem arises out of the poor choice of materials for the interior plastic which includes everything from the dash to the B pillars the door trim and tailgate trim. What would otherwise be an unnoticeable abrasion to interior trim always shows up as a white scratch since the color does not appear to run solid.

Has anyone found a solution? It's almost impossible on a utility vehicle to not get an occasional rubbing of something on the interior trim especially during loading/unloading of the rear cargo area or from stuff contacting the tailgate interior trim. As such you wind up with white scratches that don't seem to polish out.
norcalchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2003, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Try this. here
After: Weather Tech Advantage Luxury Carpet Mats / Weather Tech Cargo Tray / Sylvania SilverStars, Low & High / Chrome ACURA License Plate Frames / Zaino.
DEZRVIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2003, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DEZRVIT
Try this. here
Other posts in another thread have indicated that this is not a good way to go since it will buff off the adjacent color which appears to be very thin and not solid. For some reason Acura chose a plastic material that is white underneath with a VERY thin color layer. Trying to buff out the scratch (which has basically eliminated the color) only exacerbated the problem and did not bring the color back to the underlying white plastic.

My sense is that the only "fix" is going to be "touchup" paint for the interior trim.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry, thought it might work. Try a detail shop, or an auto body repair shop they might know of something. Let us know if you do find something, I think we all have the seatbelt scratches.
After: Weather Tech Advantage Luxury Carpet Mats / Weather Tech Cargo Tray / Sylvania SilverStars, Low & High / Chrome ACURA License Plate Frames / Zaino.
DEZRVIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2003, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I ran into the exact same problem before returning my Lemon MDX for repurchase, I was afraid I would be charged for excesive wear on the interior. I made tons of calls with no good news, a couple of companies that specialize on retouching cars prior to lease returns told me no such. Many car magazine reviewers have criticized the X for looking cheap on the interior, my complaint is that it actually is cheap, cars costing half the money have higher quality plastics that resist scratches better.
jeych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2003, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would love to find a solution to plastic cleaning and scratch removal.

I have somehow avoided the seatbelt b-pillar scratches, (I guide the belt back into place)

But I am getting scuff marks from my shoes on the lower door kick-panels (Map pockets), and the piece of plastic on the door-sill next to the chrome acrua sill is looking very shoddy after only 4 months use.

If you don't already have one, get the cargo bed liner to go under your cargo tray. It comes with a nice Velcro removable flap that covers the rear bumper when loading cargo and also protects your inside tailgate from shifting cargo. Below is a pick of the cargo liner Bib in the "up" position.

Even with this "double protection" I still managed to put a few dings in the plastic trim (up higher than the liner protects) when I moved my daughter home from college this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Any way to polish out interior plastic scratches?-bib-up.jpg  
Wood Steering Wheel

Owner Installed:
OEM Interior: "wood" shift Knob and cluster surround, Seperation Net, Cargo Liner, Cargo Tray
OEM Exterior: Vent Visors, Moonroof Air Deflector
Acura 100K/6year extended warranty
Shaved MDX logo

1990 Integra 4dr auto RS w/o AC 258,000 miles
MDXRAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2003, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cargo liner flap down to protect bumper:
Attached Thumbnails
Any way to polish out interior plastic scratches?-bib-down.jpg  
Wood Steering Wheel

Owner Installed:
OEM Interior: "wood" shift Knob and cluster surround, Seperation Net, Cargo Liner, Cargo Tray
OEM Exterior: Vent Visors, Moonroof Air Deflector
Acura 100K/6year extended warranty
Shaved MDX logo

1990 Integra 4dr auto RS w/o AC 258,000 miles
MDXRAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2003, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

There IS hope...

I have found all the same things you guys have mentioned, and a little frustrating since I, like most of you am quite anal about my interior...

I posted a question tot he group about the plastic gauge lens cover looking bad, and subsequently got a reply similar to the one above from aircraftspruce...plastic polish. I ordered, but have not got it yet. But what I did try first was McGuires scratch remover (again, suggested by a fellow x.org member) and it worked pretty good to get fine scratches out of the plood area.

I had put a scratch in my dash area which surrounds the plood, when taking out my stereo. Since I have the Saddle interior, the white scratch really showed bad. However, there is a guy here who does interior repairs...like dash scratches and cracks, vinyl and leather repairs carpet redying, etc. I call him up and he repaired my dash scratch and a small cut in the seat back vinyl. You honestly can not tell where it was for both. He basically melted the vinyl back together and retained the same grain.

As far as the dash, he uses a hi quality automitve type of paint, masks off the area around the scratch, matches the color perfectly, then basicaly airbushes the area over the scratch, and fades out ...I could not beleive my eyes when complete...it was perfect, and he said this paint is tougher than the factory plastic...I was as happy to see this, as I was the first time I had a paintless dent door ding fixed....So there is hope. He had over 10 years in autobody industry before starting this business of interior repair. HE is in high demand at car delaerships to touch up traded in vehicles also.

I made a small pod for a center channel speaker and he painted it at the same time as he mized the color, and wow, it looks like a factory job, even matched the grain of the dash top patttern.
Towing Pkg with Black Powdercoated Hitch, BSM, Body Colored Fender Flares, Form Fit Hood Deflector, Colgan bumper and mirror bras, Moonroof Visor, Gold Grille / Emblem Pkg, Body color Rear Spoiler, Full Size matching spare tire/wheel, woodgrain Meter Trim Panel, Wood Shift Knob, K & N Air Filter, Complete Alpine Custom Audio/Video system,

Other Vehicles :
2003 Acura TL Type S
2000 Acura NSX-T
Curtsan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2003, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Re: There IS hope...

Quote:
Originally posted by Curtsan
..... However, there is a guy here who does interior repairs...like dash scratches and cracks, vinyl and leather repairs carpet redying, etc. I call him up and he repaired my dash scratch and a small cut in the seat back vinyl. You honestly can not tell where it was for both. He basically melted the vinyl back together and retained the same grain.

As far as the dash, he uses a hi quality automitve type of paint, masks off the area around the scratch, matches the color perfectly, then basicaly airbushes the area over the scratch, and fades out ...I could not beleive my eyes when complete...it was perfect, and he said this paint is tougher than the factory plastic...I was as happy to see this, as I was the first time I had a paintless dent door ding fixed....So there is hope. He had over 10 years in autobody industry before starting this business of interior repair. HE is in high demand at car delaerships to touch up traded in vehicles also.

Honda/Acura's choice of cheesy plastic that shows white under a minuscule ding is a ridiculous design defect as all are learning. (e.g., B pillar dings, tailgate interior dings, door side panels, dash) I was going to give a try with those waxes that are out there that have a color base--I thought perhaps a small application might hide the white. Nicks and dings are to be expected, but I have never owned a vehicle where the result of a minor ordinary wear and tear ding or scratch resulted in a white mark, as the material was either vinyl or a plastic with the color running solid through the piece. This is analogous to building cars with inadequate bumpers that result in huge $$ of damages from a minor impact.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Re: There IS hope...

Quote:
Originally posted by Curtsan
I have found all the same things you guys have mentioned, and a little frustrating since I, like most of you am quite anal about my interior...

I posted a question tot he group about the plastic gauge lens cover looking bad, and subsequently got a reply similar to the one above from aircraftspruce...plastic polish. I ordered, but have not got it yet. But what I did try first was McGuires scratch remover (again, suggested by a fellow x.org member) and it worked pretty good to get fine scratches out of the plood area.

I had put a scratch in my dash area which surrounds the plood, when taking out my stereo. Since I have the Saddle interior, the white scratch really showed bad. However, there is a guy here who does interior repairs...like dash scratches and cracks, vinyl and leather repairs carpet redying, etc. I call him up and he repaired my dash scratch and a small cut in the seat back vinyl. You honestly can not tell where it was for both. He basically melted the vinyl back together and retained the same grain.

I made a small pod for a center channel speaker and he painted it at the same time as he mized the color, and wow, it looks like a factory job, even matched the grain of the dash top patttern.
How much did he charge you?
Old 06-10-2003, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Curtsan

Please let us know how you make out with the plastic gauge lens scratches, my MDX was delivered with scratches as was yours.

You're right on about interior repairmen, my son does it for a living. An experienced repairman can do wonders as you've indicated. My son does work on new cars damaged during delivery or shipment etc and I'm sure the person that purchases the vehicle will never know the leather/vinyl was repaired. It's actually a very good thing to get into, they are in demand and can make good money.
feliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2003, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

He charged me $45.00 for the "first" repair, then any subsequent repair reduced the price by $10.00, so it was $80.00 to touch up the dash scratch and repair the small vinyl tear. He threw in the painting of the center channel speaker pod for free, since he had teh paint already mixed up. (It is only about 2.5 inches cubed)

BTW-that is in CDN $$$ At first is seemed like alot, but when it was done and I had a perfect dash back , it was an easy cheque to write...

Yes, I'll let you know how the plastic polish works when it arrives. AS I mentioned, I have never cleaned or wiped them, yet I see several circular scratches in them...obviously done at dealer during prep. IF the polish does not take them out, I may approach the dealer to replace...(I also checked with Tim, and that lens cover is relatively inexpensive , at less than $20.00 from what I recall...labor to replace may be ntensive though? not sure??)
Towing Pkg with Black Powdercoated Hitch, BSM, Body Colored Fender Flares, Form Fit Hood Deflector, Colgan bumper and mirror bras, Moonroof Visor, Gold Grille / Emblem Pkg, Body color Rear Spoiler, Full Size matching spare tire/wheel, woodgrain Meter Trim Panel, Wood Shift Knob, K & N Air Filter, Complete Alpine Custom Audio/Video system,

Other Vehicles :
2003 Acura TL Type S
2000 Acura NSX-T
Curtsan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2003, 07:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
KES

After 10 months of ownership I have come to realize my MDX is just one huge target for scratches, chips and dings. My previous car did not take this much abuse in 8 years of ownership. My wife and I believe the X is cursed. The plastic scratches are just one of many imperfections that my MDX has suffered. The rest are the result of carelessness or just bad luck.

So far a rock hit on A pillar (day 2 of owning the X), another rock cracked the windshield, seat belt marks on trim, scratch from a careless snow brush incident, ding in door from a box I was carrying, scratches on read door trim from a baby seat, scratches on plastic wood trim near the cup holders, the leather seats are looking terrible.

The cheap interior trim needs to be addressed by Acura. After all we are paying > $35K for these vehicles.

These imperfections drive me crazy. It is a good thing that it is only 14 months before I can turn the X over to my wife and move back to a car.
KES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2003, 11:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by KES

..........The cheap interior trim needs to be addressed by Acura. After all we are paying > $35K for these vehicles.

These imperfections drive me crazy. It is a good thing that it is only 14 months before I can turn the X over to my wife and move back to a car.
I had commented on this earlier. The reason the MDX prices out as it does is because it is loaded up with a huge amount of high profit margin accessories, many of which buyers would not purchase if it was on an option list. If someone needed all the stuff and would have purchased those items, then this is not an issue.

I tend to look at the basic car (engine, drivetrain, running gear, etc) as the benchmark and then add what I need. If you took a Hyundai or a Saturn or Chevy and added $7,000-10,000 in accessories, that does not change the evaluation of the basic vehicle.

I am looking forward to using my 03 MDX the next ski season and making a final judgment on how it performs for the task it was mainly purchased. To date however, I agree with you as far as the material qualities. Overall it is a satisfactory vehicle, but I think the dealers' monopoly honeymoon is over as far as pricing goes. A number of posters to the board are indicating $2000-3000 discounts off MSRP.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Gauge replacement...

I purchased from Tim the plexiglass/plastic gauge since there are circular swirls which I fnd annoying. Suppose to arrive next week because he had to order it. So I am not sure how labor intensive it is but I don't think it would be that bad cause I see so many cars where guys replace the actual gauges with those ugly white ones for a sport look. Cost $12.63 from the man, Tim.

I tried Novus and it is just way too messy and not that great. Works great on other products but it is too difficult to polish out the fine scratches. You also dont want to get it all over the place too. Maybe I just didn't use it properly.

Also, it is so annoying to have those seatbelt scratches on the vinyl pillars. 3 weeks and I have all these marks. I tried adjusting my seat position but it didn't really help. Just a little more careful now when I undo the belt.
alluu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: