Outside Temperature Gauge - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-24-2003, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Outside Temperature Gauge

In the past few weeks it has gotten very warm here on Long Island.

It took over one hour of driving between 40 and 50 mph for my outside temperature gauge to go from 65 degrees, temperature in my garage, to 85 degrees, actual outside temperature.

I did not have this problem in the winter up north skiing, where the gauge seemed accurate and reliable.

Is this a unique problem I am experiencing?

Recently off Lease:
2006 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony interior
2007 Saab 97x 5.3 Black/Tan interior with Nav and RES
2006 BMW Z4 White/tan interior
2005 GMC Envoy White/Grey interior
2004 Audi A8L Beige/Tan interior
2003 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
2003 Porsche Boxster Tiptronic
White/Grey top and interior
2001 Audi Avant A6 Quattro
Silver/Grey interior
2001 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2000 Porsche Boxster Tiptronic Silver/Grey top and Interior
1997 BMW 740iL White/Tan interior
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2003, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry, mine does work properly and is very accurate. Try bringing it in to the dealer?

03 Ford Explorer
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2003, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Its sensor is well-hidden behind the front bumper, just under the grille. I wonder if its bracket got bent so that it's against a piece of metal, which would slow its response WAY down?
'01 Base Model, Mahogany, running boards, full-size spare (Michelin) from Tim, cargo cover and net. Got her 7/2/01. GYs replaced by Michelins @ 30,700 mi. Cat paw-prints on the hood, windshield, and moonroof.
frostyra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2003, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks.

Does anyone have a diagram of the exact position?

Recently off Lease:
2006 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony interior
2007 Saab 97x 5.3 Black/Tan interior with Nav and RES
2006 BMW Z4 White/tan interior
2005 GMC Envoy White/Grey interior
2004 Audi A8L Beige/Tan interior
2003 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
2003 Porsche Boxster Tiptronic
White/Grey top and interior
2001 Audi Avant A6 Quattro
Silver/Grey interior
2001 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2000 Porsche Boxster Tiptronic Silver/Grey top and Interior
1997 BMW 740iL White/Tan interior
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2003, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheWorm Send a message via Yahoo to TheWorm
It's in the middle, backside, about where your license plate is (or would be)...a couple of inches from the bottom of the bumper. Looks like a microphone (lapel type). 2P connector IIRC.
tailgate deflector | silver powdercoated Acura steps | moonroof visor | full wood dash+wheel+shiftknob | startac/timeport phone kit | video system | BSMs | mud flaps | cargo stuff | backup sensors | XenonDepot 4300k HIDs | Sylvania SilverStar fogs and highs | DRL kit | zaino

'07 BMW 550i

'04 Infiniti G35 Coupe - in good hands of a fellow X'er
TheWorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2003, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have the same issue

In the winter there were no problems but my garage has been 20 degrees cooler than outside this past month or so and it too has taken forever to adjust correctly.

I'm going to crawl under the bumper and see if I can see the probe...
Need4wd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2003, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK
Thanks.

Does anyone have a diagram of the exact position?
I previously posted the diagrams earlier this month. Do a search on outside temperature.
norcalchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2003, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Re: Outside Temperature Gauge

Quote:

It took over one hour of driving between 40 and 50 mph for my outside temperature gauge to go from 65 degrees, temperature in my garage, to 85 degrees, actual outside temperature.

I did not have this problem in the winter up north skiing, where the gauge seemed accurate and reliable.

I also am experiencing this problem. Took it to the dealer last week. They gave me an Accura technical bullietin that addresses. It states that the logic in the temp guage controller is designed to rise one degree each two minutes after you start the car (assuming that car has been sitting for 2 hrs or more and it's warmer than when car was turned off). Ludicrous, IMO. In any event, it was taking about 30 minutes to go up one degree (said 73 from being in garage, was actually 96 outside).
Anyway, the dealer refused to change, as he said they needed to see the temp be off. So I picked it up, drove it for a half hour, and temp still hadn't changed. Drove back to dealer, showed them, and now they have a guage on order.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Anyone Else with Outside Temp Guage issues?

Quote:

I also am experiencing this problem. Took it to the dealer last week. They gave me an Accura technical bullietin that addresses. It states that the logic in the temp guage controller is designed to rise one degree each two minutes after you start the car (assuming that car has been sitting for 2 hrs or more and it's warmer than when car was turned off). Ludicrous, IMO. In any event, it was taking about 30 minutes to go up one degree (said 73 from being in garage, was actually 96 outside).
Anyway, the dealer refused to change, as he said they needed to see the temp be off. So I picked it up, drove it for a half hour, and temp still hadn't changed. Drove back to dealer, showed them, and now they have a guage on order
Old 07-20-2003, 12:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Re: Outside Temperature Gauge

Quote:

I just had a smiliar experience when going to a car wash. It was a 95 degree day and after the car wash it dropped to 68 degrees. It did take the system over an hour to correct itself. I would assume if the SUV was parked in your garage overnight and it's cool in there the sensor had cooled off, then it could take a longer amount of time to re-adjust to the outside temperature. I wouldn't worry about it much, could check with dealer but I doubt that it is broken. Try pulling out of garage and letting it sit for an hour to re-adjust and see if it works then.
Wood Wheel, Wood Shift Knob, Wood Meter Panel, Side Steps, Tailgate Deflector, Lower Trim, 2004 Body Side Moulding, Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, Clifford Solaris Alarm System with Auto Start, Phillips Bluevision Fogs, Piaa Super Plasma 5000K High Beams, StageII HID 6000k Ultinon Low Beams, Zaino/Klasse Polish, 15% HP SunTek Tinted Front Windows, 20% HP Suntek Tint Over Stock Tint On All Rear Windows, Acura All-Season Floor Mats, 7 Year/100,000 Mile Acura Care Extended Warranty, Removed MDX Logo from Hatch, 2003 Headrests & Leather Armrest, Center Row Full Headrests, Cargo Tray, Genax Rear Brush Barz & Cargo Net.
Pauls MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2003, 12:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Re: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge

Quote:
Originally posted by paul123

I just had a smiliar experience when going to a car wash. It was a 95 degree day and after the car wash it dropped to 68 degrees. It did take the system over an hour to correct itself. I would assume if the SUV was parked in your garage overnight and it's cool in there the sensor had cooled off, then it could take a longer amount of time to re-adjust to the outside temperature. I wouldn't worry about it much, could check with dealer but I doubt that it is broken. Try pulling out of garage and letting it sit for an hour to re-adjust and see if it works then.
......problem isn't that ultimately, over time, it will get to correct temp, which it will - but rather that it takes forever... for 40K should get a guage that readjusts in milliseconds, not hours.....
Old 07-20-2003, 01:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Re: Re: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge

Quote:
Originally posted by stumpie

......problem isn't that ultimately, over time, it will get to correct temp, which it will - but rather that it takes forever... for 40K should get a guage that readjusts in milliseconds, not hours.....
Yes your are totally correct in a perfect world, which, of course, we don't live in!!
Wood Wheel, Wood Shift Knob, Wood Meter Panel, Side Steps, Tailgate Deflector, Lower Trim, 2004 Body Side Moulding, Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, Clifford Solaris Alarm System with Auto Start, Phillips Bluevision Fogs, Piaa Super Plasma 5000K High Beams, StageII HID 6000k Ultinon Low Beams, Zaino/Klasse Polish, 15% HP SunTek Tinted Front Windows, 20% HP Suntek Tint Over Stock Tint On All Rear Windows, Acura All-Season Floor Mats, 7 Year/100,000 Mile Acura Care Extended Warranty, Removed MDX Logo from Hatch, 2003 Headrests & Leather Armrest, Center Row Full Headrests, Cargo Tray, Genax Rear Brush Barz & Cargo Net.
Pauls MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2003, 12:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

...no, but we do live in a real world, don't we? ...listen, if my '00 ML320, which I ditched in favor of my '03 MDX, could change temps when I came out of my garage by the time i reached the 2'nd stop light from my house to reflect the accurate real temp, then why the hell can't this machine?? Am I asking for anything more than what I should be getting???

Guys......this is not, i repeat, not rocket science...........
Old 07-21-2003, 10:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Guys......this is not, i repeat, not rocket science...........
Stumpie,

You are exactly right. Gauge should work correctly, especiallly in this price vechicle. You can go to Wal Mart and get a stick on kind that reads instantly for probably $ 1.99. We could stick them on the outside rearview morrors. Wouldn't that look sharp ? My MB SLK adjusts from garage to current temp in about 30-60 seconds. About the same as your ML. If MB has figured this out, why hasn't Acura?

1999 MB SLK 230 Sport
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext
marktr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2003, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

A safety issue...?

If the outside sensor takes too long to adjust to ambient temperatures, what if you are going into mountainous areas where temps decrease as altitude increases. Will you be warned in time of freezing temperatures and the potential of icy road conditions?
JeffK implies it's fine at lower temps?
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: