Clear Bra - Yes or No? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Clear Bra - Yes or No?

So while I still have my MDX clean and rock chip free I am debating if a clear bra is a wise investment.

So many pro's/con's from reading about it on the net.
Big complaint seems to be yellowing that may occur, however that appears to be an older problem from 5+ years ago that many people say has been worked out of the new 3M applications.

I received a quote from a reputable shop in my area for $300 for entire grill and grill surround, along with partial roof coverage. Much lower price then I expected.

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone have one and would do it again?
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Tetris Champion

Send a message via AIM to Hodog16
Have had mine for 3 years or so without any issues. I had a couple of rock chips from the first year of driving sans clear bra which prompted me to get one finally.

$300 is pretty cheap. I paid around $1000 for it with partial hood coverage, complete front wrapped to the front tire well and the side mirrors. Custom pieces had to be cut to cover the painted bumper which I suspect made the cost more expensive, although my installer threw in the door handle cups on the four doors which was a nice touch.

Only regret is not doing it sooner. I plan on getting a clear bra for all my future vehicles.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Hodog, I wonder if once I proceed the price will probably go up.
That's not including headlights which I think everyone does as well.

What brand did you go with?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have 3m which I purchased when I bought my vehicle. 300.00 is an excellent price for the area they will cover. I have it on my hood, side view mirrors and on the lower part of the rear doors directly in front of the wheel well. I don't understand why they added it there. I paid almost 400.00. The price your getting is a steal. I've had no problems and I'll purchase it for all future vehicles.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think it depends on the quality of the material and the installer. When done right, people won't know its there, protect from rock chips, and won't turn yellow. I had one on my 2006 WRX for 5 years with no issues.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

The clear plastic bras on cars remind me of my ex mother in law with her plastic slip covers on her livingroom furniture. They all look like crap IMHO and detract from the looks of the car.

If the front of the car gets bad, get it painted.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
dj5

I've had the clear bra on one of my cars for 6 years and the other for 4 years. Neither have yellowed and have done their job in protecting the front from rock chips. Unless you are looking for it, you hardly tell it's there. I will always have one installed on my new vehicles. Much better than having it look bad over the years and then having to repaint.
dj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Can you see the 3M protection? I have to tell people where it exactly is by pointing it out. Then I get asked where they can get it?
Attached Thumbnails
Clear Bra - Yes or No?-front-x.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Based on that photo I have to admit that maybe I saw the bad ones and never noticed the good ones. I'll have to rethink this.

Thanks for the picture.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Total waste of money. I had it on my last MDX, no body really cares when you trade the X in the future. Old car is supposed to look old. It will not help sell the vehicle any. Only you will feel good about it, if that's worth the coin go gor it.
Previous MDX
Casique is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you wax your car, put wax on the 3M as well. It'll help keep it looking invisible and it's worth the coin. I like keeping my car looking new inside and out.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

I've had this on some cars in the past...and I'm not a huge fan. It clearly offers protection but it will still get chips and dings in it and give a crusty look over time. It also can be difficult to clean with bugs and grime that don't come off as easily as paint. Recently I've only put it on the metal bits that are unusually exposed. All the plastic parts on cars these days are easily replaced if they start looking bad waaayyy down the road. I'm not putting it on the MDX as there's not a ton of exposed metal.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Tetris Champion

Send a message via AIM to Hodog16
Mine is 3M. I didn't do the headlights although I read up on it at the time.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

IME all cars should have them. It is a cheap no brainer accesory. Ours take a beating in Colorado and show no wear or tear or yellowing if using 3M or equivalent. We also do headlights, A-pillars, side mirrors. Those vehicles without them get tattered with chips and paint nicks.
harry1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Harry brings up a good point. Geographic location and road conditions should play a part in the decision.
In my situation It is not worth it. In 3 years and over 70,000miles I have very few chips. My usual commute is on restricted roads with no trucks and I travel at times when there is little traffic.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: