Roof rails and cross bars - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteAPB View Post
Must have been something on the Fantasy Channel.
You try that and let me know how, next, you're getting your roof painted for the marks you put in the paint and sheet metal.

The instructions were written the way they are for a reason. I recommend zero shortcuts.
Fantasy Channel? Nope, just here Self Roof Rack Install? Looks like it worked for a few folks. Guess we'll see.
Metro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Replacement came next day and they sent me a whole new set. So replaced everything. The package on this set was all good and bolt package was different with the item number on the package. All parts are scratch and ding free as well. Kinda made me wonder if they sent out a used one before. Even though I had to do double work, the X looks great.

Next will be the running boards and tiniting the front window. I went to 3M dealer but their tint has a greenish tint. Anybody use 3M?
acura4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acura4me View Post
Replacement came next day and they sent me a whole new set. So replaced everything. The package on this set was all good and bolt package was different with the item number on the package. All parts are scratch and ding free as well. Kinda made me wonder if they sent out a used one before. Even though I had to do double work, the X looks great.

Next will be the running boards and tiniting the front window. I went to 3M dealer but their tint has a greenish tint. Anybody use 3M?
Glad it worked out for ya.

As for the tint --- where do you live?
There is a place I took mine called "Window Kote" and they used Solar Gard products. It has a lifetime warranty, you can clean it with Windex (which was a no-no in the past with window tint products), took them 40 minutes to install, and cost me only $80 (tint & labor).

What's your time worth? See if you can find a comparable dealer of Solar Gard tint in your neck of the woods!

Car Window Tinting, Auto Window Tinting - Solar Gard - Dealer Locator
StPeteAPB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro View Post
Fantasy Channel? Nope, just here Self Roof Rack Install? Looks like it worked for a few folks. Guess we'll see.

so it looks like they aren't saying cut in place.. but just recommending popping it up starting from the back and not completely removing it since it is difficult to remove at the windshield end.. but def. lift and put protection underneath before cutting

I need to get roof rack also... silver would be nice but cant justify the diff in price..
Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteAPB View Post
Must have been something on the Fantasy Channel.
You try that and let me know how, next, you're getting your roof painted for the marks you put in the paint and sheet metal.

The instructions were written the way they are for a reason. I recommend zero shortcuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
"I saw that someone was able to get away with not removing the roof molding and just cut it in place - think I'll try ..."

I saw that someone painted the Mona Lisa, I'm not going to try though.

Best case scenario you will save a few minutes.
Worst case scenario you will be paying to have your slip up repaired.

If you insist on leaving the strip in place, I would use a utility knife with a new blade, and change the blade after every couple of cuts. You can still use the blades for cutting cardboard, but for best control you want the sharpest edge.
For the skeptics - didn't completely remove the trim. Just propped it up, put a protective rubber mat underneath and then cut with a Dremel (fiberglass re-inforced cutting tool). Once the initial cut was made, I could easily cut the rest of the trim into the prescribed lengths. Super easy. Took about 30-45 minutes per side.
Metro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
For the skeptics - didn't completely remove the trim. Just propped it up, put a protective rubber mat underneath and then cut with a Dremel (fiberglass re-inforced cutting tool). Once the initial cut was made, I could easily cut the rest of the trim into the prescribed lengths. Super easy. Took about 30-45 minutes per side.
That's pretty much how the instructions recommend it's done - not removing the trim completely is explicitly stated.

Cutting it in place, I read as, not even popping it out of the gutter.

Anyway, good going.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm happy to be proved wrong, when it means things worked out. Good job.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #23 (permalink)

Great thread! I am trying to find the cheapest price for the roof rails available online, as well as side steps and trailer hitch!
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Great thread! I am trying to find the cheapest price for the roof rails available online, as well as side steps and trailer hitch!
Trailer Hitch - look for some of my other posts alongside others who bought ours from eTrailer.com and are very happy.

Side Steps - look for another post I started about aftermarket running boards and such. I bought a set of Nerf Bars for slightly over $110 and am very happy with them.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Hi!

I want to buy roof rails to my MDX 2009. They don't have to be new but in good condition. The problem is that I'm from Europe... Can you help me? Do you know any website where can I order roof rails and they send me it to Europe? Maybe some of you would like to sell and has the ability to send abroad?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Jajko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

What do you think about www.curryacuraparts.com ? Please give me some opinions... They are the only ones who can send me roof rails to Poland...
Jajko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

^ Their prices are very good, and the do have a great reputation
Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #28 (permalink)

2011 MDX
Finally installed Black Roof Rack and Advanced Running Boards (got them from Curry Acura..) and installed trailer hitch and wiring.. all in one weekend..

Roof rack was easy enough.. popped the gutter trim up just past the front mounts (66") and cut it off with a dremel tool.
Then cut the next two pieces with hack saw on the workbench
24.75" and 24". It really doesn't have to be exact as long as they are long enough to be covered up by the rack feet.
Hack saw was much faster then the small dremel I had but dremel was safer to use while working on the roof.

This forum definitely has the info one needs to feel comfortable tackling these jobs.. Thanks everyone for the input.

Speaking of roof rack.. it has T-slot channel on the inside edge.. I assume is for the OEM crossbars (I will get Thule 450). Anyone know of any other accessories that slide n that T-slot - e.g. tie down loops, etc... and where to get them?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #29 (permalink)

Did it myself the other day...about 2 hrs worth of work. Here is result.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof rails and cross bars-1368301450125.jpg  
All Season Weather mats and Cargo Tray
Interior LED pakage by Fab
DRL: MTEC 9005 HB3 Xenon Cosmos Blue
FOG: HID H11 5K Kit by Fab
HIGHS: Sylvania SilverStar Ultra 9005's
LED Side Markers + R5 CREE LED Reverse Lamp by Fab
"10-MESSI"vanity plate

Want: Those damn hard to find Front + Rear Garnishes!
vtek007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #30 (permalink)

Installation in Orange County, SoCal

Hello Folks,

I am in SoCal and planning to become a proud owner of a 2012 MDX Advance soon.

Does anyone know any mobile shop / contact in Orange County, CA who could do the installation of roof rails and running boards for me ?

~A
adityapd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: