Headrest vs Overhead DVD player - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Headrest vs Overhead DVD player

Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts as what would be best. A headrest DvD player, which is not permanent, easy to install, but is easy to steal. Or DVD overhead, which is permanent, but blocks rear view mirror and maybe more involved to install, but just looks better and for all the kids to watch on one screen.
yoyoboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I gave up years ago on built-in entertainment systems. For a bunch of reasons. Not the least of which is the fact that your car will probably outlast any current media format. Heck, when I got my MDX, they were still mostly putting VCRs in cars if you wanted entertainment. I've become a big fan of those small portable DVD players for the kids. They can take them on airplane vacations as well as in the car. they fit in the seat-back pocket well enough to hide them from prying eyes. The last time I bought one (4 years ago now?), I let the kids decide between a single bigger one, or two smaller ones. They chose the two smaller ones so they wouldn't have to fight over which movie to watch.

Costco usually has pretty good deals on portable dvd players. I saw one recently that was designed to be hung from the headrest if you wanted (it had a reversing screen thingy).

MidnightMDX's Awesome FAQ for the '01-'06 MDX
Sinecure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to LionSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to LionSpeed
Re: Headrest vs Overhead DVD player

Quote:
Originally posted by yoyoboi
...Or DVD overhead, which is permanent, but blocks rear view mirror and maybe more involved to install, but just looks better and for all the kids to watch on one screen.
FYI, the OEM flip down screen from 2nd gen X DOES NOT block rear view mirror.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Check out these,

2009 2010 Acura MDX DVD Headrest Video Players Monitors - eBay (item 110502406407 end time Jul-31-10 19:53:29 PDT)

Current- 1998 Black Currant Accord EX 4dr 4cyl- KYB GR2 Struts/H&R Sport Springs/Ingalls Camber kit / 17x7 Black Reaction Fuji Wheels

Previous- 1991 Black Accord LX- OEM 95 Accord EX wheels / Apex'i WS2 Exhaust / Cold Air Intake / Eibach Sportline springs / Neuspeed strut bar

pr3rak77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Before we bought our current MDX, we were debating the same thing. I went to my local stereo shop that had done a great install on my 4Runner alarm and talked to them about the headrest option for my yet unpurchased X. They quoted an install that included tying the audio into the factory radio (as opposed to the typical FM modulator technique) and matching leather covers for the headrests when the screens were not in use to block them from external prying eyes. The two screens could also play two dvd's independently. The price quoted was roughy equivalent to the Acura Entertainment package. We ended up getting a great deal on our X with the factory Entertainment option, so the decision was made for us . As previously mentioned, the flip down screen does not block the rear view mirror in the X.
1998 Toyota 4Runner
wantsti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am interested in getting the highest quality headrest DVD for my 2010 MDX. I want them to look 100% like they are OEM.

I have read good reviews on both the Audiovox (linked from eBay) and very good reviews on the Rosen systems.

Any opinions out there? Anyone have a set installed and feel they look 100% OEM? Pictures?
dvrice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just had the dealer/audiovox system installed. Dual DVDs. It looks like factory installed.

The color matches perfectly. The touch screen Audiovox system comes with games and plays just about any cd/dvd. Two headsets and two remote/game controllers. You can watch a movie in one or both or two different movies.
Previous MDX
Casique is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm really torn between the Audiovox and Rosen headrest DVDs. Both cost in the $1200-$1350 range. Both have excellent reviews for quality and being a "perfect match" to the rest of the leather seat.

At his point, the touch screen controls on the Audiovox look nice but I've seen more reviews on the Rosen without a single negative comment.

I'm definitely going with one of these two instead of a cheaper alternative that may not look quite as nice.

Any other opinions on these two systems? Has anyone seen/used both?

Thanks
dvrice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'll make an attempt to get this thread going again because I'm also in the need of some DVD headrest advice...

Who out there has installed DVD headrests in their MDX and what company did you go with?....factory matched Audiovox or Rosen, or did you buy universal fit ones for a lot less?

Any advice would be great!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

No debate for us... we were just like "okay, are our kids such brats that we need to keep them on the tube for every single moment of their eyes open time????" I mean come on, what sort of trips are you taking that your kids can't stay quiet, or that you can't stand them, for the trip?

Maybe my kids are angels, I don't know, but we've taken thus far two 18-hour trips to Orlando and not even a portable handheld or anything, and they're 8, 6, and 4. First trip they were only 5, 3, 1.

Okay, enough rambling.... the headrest one from what you're describing, you are not getting the hardwired ones that are integrated to the seat correct? If one option was hardwired headrest units, I would take those over the overhead one as they give each child more variety was to what they would like to watch. The overhead always seemed to be either too high, so their necks are in wrong position, or just clumsy.

I think even if not hardwired headrest, but removable, that would still be better than overhead. Easier to "upgrade" to whatever new standard might come around.
Teg2Xer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

I guess I can just be chalked up to being a horrible parent. I'll have to swing by your house next time I'm driving up that way to get some parenting lessons from the master. I do agree that it's not something that should be on all of the time, but I like having it as an option to keep our child and potential future children entertained periodically throughout the trip. I already occasionally throw a knife set and a box of nails back there with him to keep him entertained, so I'm just looking to change it up a bit.

Apparently, we're both raising our kids to be brats by driving premium/luxury cars. What kind of lesson are we teaching them when we could just as easily be driving a car for $10-30K less? There goes that horrible parenting again!

With that said, we take anywhere from six to ten 7+ hour road trips just about every year since we don't live near most family & friends. I'm most interested in the headrest dvd players that will replace the factory headrests and get hardwired to the car's power and possibly audio (if it's possible to hook it up cleanly to the aux input).

...Again, any useful input would be appreciated!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

This may be a dumb question, but do the headrest DVD players interfere with the active head restraints? We originally thought about just getting the MDX Adv Tech and putting in our own entertainment system, but we weren't sure how they would affect the headrest safety system and the price was the same. So in the end we just ended up going with the stock system. We were also told that resale is higher with the stock system. Not sure if that is true though. We just didn't want to mess with it.

We actually went on a road trip this past weekend with my wife's sister and her kids, and the DVD player was used almost the whole time. They are good kids too, they would have been fine without it, they just like to watch movies when going on road trips. It's fun to them. I actually like it too, especially when it's a movie that I have already seen. Sometimes just listening to the audio while I am driving is entertaining enough to make long road trips seem shorter.

As a side note, I have to say that I was amazed with the sound quality of the Acura surround sound system . We get positive comments all the time about the sound system, but this was the first time we actually played a movie that really made us notice the range, clarity and surround effect. I have read some posts where people weren't happy with the stock system, but I was really impressed.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Occasional is fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyshick View Post
I guess I can just be chalked up to being a horrible parent. I'll have to swing by your house next time I'm driving up that way to get some parenting lessons from the master. I do agree that it's not something that should be on all of the time, but I like having it as an option to keep our child and potential future children entertained periodically throughout the trip. I already occasionally throw a knife set and a box of nails back there with him to keep him entertained, so I'm just looking to change it up a bit.....

With that said, we take anywhere from six to ten 7+ hour road trips just about every year since we don't live near most family & friends. I'm most interested in the headrest dvd players that will replace the factory headrests and get hardwired to the car's power and possibly audio (if it's possible to hook it up cleanly to the aux input).

...Again, any useful input would be appreciated!
Do I detect some sarcasm in those remarks ??? ha ha. Believe me, I'm far from being a master in any realm of parenting. I'm just saying there are far too many minivans out there I see driving along with their video systems on and I know too many friends that would rather turn the entertainment system on for even a short trip, than just talk to your child and see how their day went. Even worse, hooking a video game system up to the entertainment system... ugh.

I can definitely see popping in a video to get 2 hours out of the way for a 7-hour trip, but hopefully not 4 videos to last the full 7 hours. Hey, boring car trips are part of life and "character builders" for when they grow up...

The headrest units are made to "match" the original headrests. DCH Acura in Bloomfield was having a sale on a unit that was $950 with about $250 in installation cost. It's double unit on driver and passenger headrests that play two different movies if you wish. It was supposedly 50% off. I don't remember what the brand was, but it was Audiovox or anything, it was the "factory" player you would get if you ordered it from dealer. It looked interesting, but wasn't for us. It was all integrated and have IR headsets too.
Teg2Xer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

I was just returning the sarcasm! I do see your point, and I definitely agree it's not something that should be used for every trip to the grocery store or what not. I've probably made some comments myself about people I've driven by around town with their DVD players turned on. However, this is an MDX forum, not the betterparenting.org forum, so I just wanted to give you a hard time about it.

That deal sounds as good as any I've seen out there, especially if it's the factory match setup. I was quoted $1850 at a local aftermarket shop for the Audiovox setup, and I just can't see that being worth it. You can actually buy brand new replacement headrests for $130 each, and probably install even nicer Alpine screens for a fraction of the cost...so, I don't see why these companies are charging close to $2K.

Does the MDX have an active head restraint system? I guess if it does, that may also cause some issues! I actually somewhat regret not getting the factory overhead entertainment package when we first bought, but at the time I was thinking the headrest players would be a better way to go...now I just wish we bought an MDX with Nav+Ent so I didn't have to deal with this pain in the as* of researching!
Old 11-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoboi View Post
Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts as what would be best. A headrest DvD player, which is not permanent, easy to install, but is easy to steal. Or DVD overhead, which is permanent, but blocks rear view mirror and maybe more involved to install, but just looks better and for all the kids to watch on one screen.
I prefer the headrest car DVD player , you know benefit for your friends or family members on the back seat and no disturbance to the driver there, useful one.
hermonary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: