New Black 2013 MDX: Need recs on wax/polish/sealants - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

New Black 2013 MDX: Need recs on wax/polish/sealants

Hi all!

This is our first black vehicle...the wifey insisted on this color even though I told her it is harder to maintain as such. Any recommendations on what wax/polish/sealant to look out for? I do not want something that will take 2 days to complete but also do not want those 5 minute spray jobs Perhaps something in the middle, a good balance between time vs effort. I already have an electric orbit polisher. A huge plus for over-the-counter products too. I have been hearing good stuff about NuFinish and Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0 - is this a good combo?
zmanH2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Please stay away from NuFinish. It is filled with harsh abrasives and is one of the worst products on the market. NXT Tech Wax 2.0 is pretty good for an over the counter wax.

But my pure recommendation would be Finish Kare 1000P. It's one of the most durable synthetic waxes on the market and have personally used. I have also had no durability issues using the WOWO method. That's Wax On Wax Off. You basically do it in two steps. Put the wax on with a pad (I recommend the little yellow Meguiar's ones), let it sit for about 30 seconds, then wipe it off with a microfiber. That's it, easy peasy.
symmetrical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

There are many great syn and carnuba products, hard to go wrong. Take it very light with the orbital polishers, only the lightest pressure is needed.

Biggest recommendation is to be very careful not to use touch car washes as the brushes/wipes can recirculate dirt and grime and leave swirls on your black paint. Same goes for wax pads and microfiber towels - make sure they are clean to start.

Same goes for the vehicle before laying down a wax, make sure all road grime is off the car first to avoid the swirls.
harry1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Let's be serious, a new black car doesn't need polish or the use of an orbital. A good car wash and use the 3M Perfect-it Show Care Paste Wax. Works great on black cars.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Technique is going to be far more important than the product you choose, provided you're using the correct products for the job.

I could write a novel on my recommended process and products (which vary by car and condition), but since you're probably not that interested I'll just make a product recommendation here:

Check out Blackfire's line of products - particularly their Wet Diamond sealant topped with their Midnight Sun carnauba wax. If the surface is properly prepped, this combo gives absolutely fantastic results on Acura's Crystal Black Pearl paint, as it does with most versions of modern black paintwork.

Here are some examples of my Acura models following my detailing work:

2011 Acura MDX Advance:

2010 Acura TSX V6 Tech:

If you want more details on the correct process to use, what tools I recommend, and what other products you might consider, let me know and I'll answer any questions you have.
2010 Acura TSX V6 Tech, Crystal Black Pearl over Ebony (SOLD)
2009 Acura MDX Tech, Billet Silver Metallic over Ebony (SOLD)
jsilas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/T-MDX View Post
Let's be serious, a new black car doesn't need polish or the use of an orbital. A good car wash and use the 3M Perfect-it Show Care Paste Wax. Works great on black cars.
I'm afraid you're tremendously incorrect. This is a picture of my 2010 TSX THE DAY I BROUGHT IT HOME. I set up a tape line and machine-polished the left side. Then I pulled the tape for a quick comparison photo under light. The swirls and scratches on the right side were inflicted by the dealership's detailer.

I won't even allow dealerships to prep my new cars because the buffer jockeys at most dealerships end up inflicting more damage than they fix. I take delivery of new cars with the exterior as-is off the truck, and do my own, much better details at home. It might look good in the delivery bay, but get the finish in direct sunlight and a different story is told.

Here's another more extreme example after I had a door panel repainted at a well-respected local body shop. Once I brought the car home, I again applied a tape line and detailed half. The right side is how the body shop delivered the car to me, and it looked pretty good when not under direct light. Once again, get it in the sun, and the truth comes out.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

jsilas is 100% correct on everything he said and I completely agree.

But I will still recommend FK1000P for durability.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Definitely heard great things about the FK1000P. And you've gotta love easy-to-apply-and-remove products (Blackfire has this characteristic too). I kinda want to try some of the FK out, but I have 4 other sealants I need to use up first!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fab

Too much sealant ehh? i'm sure you can send some towards Fab's way

Also +1 on blackfire sealant for your car. You can use any over the counter wax but for the same price, you can get a better quality product online.

Like my Page: https://www.facebook.com/Autoradiance
Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

As jsilas noted, technique, not product.

A new car needs a proper wash, perhaps a claying, less so a polish, and then a sealant and/or wax.

Again, learn technique and most products will then perform their task well.
MilesMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Jsilas - your scenario with your dealership or body shop while understandably disappointing has not been my experience, and should not be the norm with reputed dealers. I have been with the same dealer for almost 20 years and they know how perfect I expect the car even after normal service.

Also, given that detailing seems to be your profession or avid hobby, your expectation of perfection has a higher benchmark than most daily drivers with cluttered garage and kids ....... and that is ok too

On a side note, I too have a 2013 Black/Umber.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Great feedback so far Let's keep em coming. I would like to emphasize again that this is a black car. And more so than best-bang-for-the-buck, I would like to see best-bang-for-the-effort type of system

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post
Please stay away from NuFinish. It is filled with harsh abrasives and is one of the worst products on the market.
Oh wow! From the various raving online reviews, including Consumer Reports mag, I was thinking this was a great product

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post
But my pure recommendation would be Finish Kare 1000P. It's one of the most durable synthetic waxes on the market and have personally used. I have also had no durability issues using the WOWO method. That's Wax On Wax Off. You basically do it in two steps. Put the wax on with a pad (I recommend the little yellow Meguiar's ones), let it sit for about 30 seconds, then wipe it off with a microfiber. That's it, easy peasy.
That sounds good! Easy is good! Looking into Finish Kare's website, it seems that this is a marine care product? They don't even list it on their "car care" section.

STEP 3 Hi-Temp Paste Wax offered by Finish Kare Mold Release

If I go this route, what do you guys recommend for "quick touch ups" or detail spray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilas View Post
Technique is going to be far more important than the product you choose, provided you're using the correct products for the job.

I could write a novel on my recommended process and products (which vary by car and condition), but since you're probably not that interested I'll just make a product recommendation here:

Check out Blackfire's line of products - particularly their Wet Diamond sealant topped with their Midnight Sun carnauba wax. If the surface is properly prepped, this combo gives absolutely fantastic results on Acura's Crystal Black Pearl paint, as it does with most versions of modern black paintwork.

If you want more details on the correct process to use, what tools I recommend, and what other products you might consider, let me know and I'll answer any questions you have.
We are lucky that we have a resident detail expert How's the Blackfire as far as durability? You already mentioned it was easy to apply like FK which I like.
zmanH2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanH2 View Post
Great feedback so far Let's keep em coming. I would like to emphasize again that this is a black car. And more so than best-bang-for-the-buck, I would like to see best-bang-for-the-effort type of system

Oh wow! From the various raving online reviews, including Consumer Reports mag, I was thinking this was a great product

That sounds good! Easy is good! Looking into Finish Kare's website, it seems that this is a marine care product? They don't even list it on their "car care" section.

STEP 3 Hi-Temp Paste Wax offered by Finish Kare Mold Release

If I go this route, what do you guys recommend for "quick touch ups" or detail spray?

We are lucky that we have a resident detail expert How's the Blackfire as far as durability? You already mentioned it was easy to apply like FK which I like.
Here you go

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax

Also don't let the old school tin can fool you. It's known as a "hard wax" which is partly why it is durable. But when you apply it, it will feel like normal wax. Also DO NOT let it sit overnight or it will be a bear to remove.

But now that I think about it, it's really an LSP or Last Step Product that is meant to "lock-in" shine.

If you have paint swirls or imperfections, then you will probably need to polish first.

Oh now I'm getting too deep into it lol
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm happy with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax on my wife's black BMW. It buffs off nicely and doesn't leave white dust all over the car (unlike many of the waxes we tried in the past).
lion9mdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've used Zaino products for ~7 years and love them. Very easy to apply & remove. Durability has been excellent here in the Midwest even over the winter. I use the Z2 w/ the accelerator & their Grand Finale spray for a quick detail after each weekend wash. Lots of good stuff out there but Z is worth a try. Zaino Store

If you want something to clean your glass, their glass polish is also great. It does an excellent job of cleaning the really stubborn stuff off your glass.
redm3sedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: