New Black 2013 MDX: Need recs on wax/polish/sealants - Page 3 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #31 (permalink)

Waxing

Zman I am very picky about my cars to the amusement of my neighbors. I own two Black vehicles 03 Explorer, and 08 MDX as well as an 01 Mustang which is Dark Green. For a new vehicle keep it as clean as possible and avoid car washes that touch the paint. Use a good wax twice a year. In between I use a quick detailer. After the car is washed move it into the shade, towel off and spray on a quick detailer and wipe off. I always use a big terry bath towel to dry and micro fiber towels for everything else.

Just my 2 cents.

2008 MDX Sport
2003 Explorer Limited
2001 Bullitt Mustang GT
Bullitt2504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #32 (permalink)

I've been using ReJex religiously on the MDX and our two Corvettes. It's synthetic polymer first developed for the aircraft industry, particularly helicopters to reduce the exhaust film that collects on the skin near the exhaust port. Then ReJex was made available to the tour bus industry to reduce the maintenance time required to remove all the bug splatter front the front of the buses. Once applied, nothing sticks. You only need to apply a very thin coat, then buff (no residue). The only catch is that you have to let the polymer "cure" for 12 hours after applying it, in other owrds, no contaninants like rain, dirt, tree sap, pollen, etc. for 12 hours. Worked great on the wife's gone-but-not-forgotten black '98 Corvette convertible. Works really well on our current vehicles too. It lasts longer on Silver paint than any product I've ever used, including Zaino. For best results, wash car with Dawn first to remove any old wax. Then clay bar the entire car, followed by ReJex. I highly recommend this stuff.

Go here for more info:

RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!
'06 Victory Red/Black/Black Corvette conv.
vetdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #33 (permalink)

Wow, you guys are scaring me with how hard it is to take care of a Black MDX !! Does a Black car need to be washed / waxed more often than other colors ?

I have a 2007 MDX in Steel Blue and I was thinking about getting a 2013 in Black before they body style changes next year. I am not happy with any of the other colors (I really liked the Bronze that was discontinued in 2011).

Embarrassed to say I don't think I have ever waxed my 2007 in 6 years !! I wash it 5-10 times per year (yes, sometimes even use the car wash to get salt off in the winter) and usually after washing use the Mr. Clean System to "Wet Dry" it. Always comes out looking great with no water spots.

This is what I use (I don't use their soap, but I use it for drying):
Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash System Starter Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash System Starter Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

I read about "technique" for washing/waxing a Black car and I don't know what that means ?! If I follow my standard washing habits, am I going to quickly Regret getting a Black MDX ?

The lack of good MDX "colors" is almost making me look to other brands and models (Lexus, Hyundai & Jeep) as I don't typically consider Black, White, Silver and Gray as a color so that doesn't leave much left !!

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beski View Post
I read about "technique" for washing/waxing a Black car and I don't know what that means ?! If I follow my standard washing habits, am I going to quickly Regret getting a Black MDX ?
Black is going to show damage such as swirls and scratches more than any other color exterior. If swirls and scratches bother you, you should either commit to properly caring for the paint or simply buy a vehicle with a lighter color paint.

If you choose to purchase black and maintain the paint, your first goal is the reduce (as much as possible) the introduction of paint flaws. This means proper wash technique, maintenance as needed, proper paint correction as needed, and regular protection via sealant and/or wax.

For washing, the two bucket method is a popular technique. Here is some info on this:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/how-to-properly-wash-and-dry-a-car/

Also, Google for the Garry Dean wash method. A newer technique that I plan on trying for the first time next week.
MilesMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #35 (permalink)

On a side note, AutoGeek's shipping is sloooow I ordered Jan 18 and tracking says I will get it tomorrow Jan 29.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilas View Post
Looks like you made a great purchase! Make sure you post up photos of your results. Also, you may want to consider a carnauba topper for that Wolfgang sealant to take your look to the next level.

Have fun!
So much to learn bro. I used to be a Meguiar's Quik Wax guy and have generally been happy with it. I thought the stuff I bought would do it but I guess I need one more. I'm leaning towards the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (pure synthetic hydrophobic wax). Suppose to be easy application & removal. They said this has surpassed their previous best OTC product - the NXT Tech 2.0 Wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt2504 View Post
Zman I am very picky about my cars to the amusement of my neighbors. I own two Black vehicles 03 Explorer, and 08 MDX as well as an 01 Mustang which is Dark Green. For a new vehicle keep it as clean as possible and avoid car washes that touch the paint. Use a good wax twice a year. In between I use a quick detailer. After the car is washed move it into the shade, towel off and spray on a quick detailer and wipe off. I always use a big terry bath towel to dry and micro fiber towels for everything else.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the tips. i am definitely going for the 2x a year wax job
zmanH2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #36 (permalink)

I tried for the first time the mcguirs ultimate around 3 months ago on my white MDX and Black civic. The results were very good on both cars. The black car looked definitely more shiny. Application was very easy, did the full MDX within 2 hours by hand. This wax really last for a long time. Even after 3 months, I just spray water on the MDX after a drive in the snow and salt and it looks like it was just washed.

My father was using Klasse products before on his black 911 S and he decided to switch for the ultimate wax after he saw the results on my cars. He could not be happier now.
rikee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry1 View Post
There are many great syn and carnuba products, hard to go wrong. Take it very light with the orbital polishers, only the lightest pressure is needed.

Biggest recommendation is to be very careful not to use touch car washes as the brushes/wipes can recirculate dirt and grime and leave swirls on your black paint. Same goes for wax pads and microfiber towels - make sure they are clean to start.

Same goes for the vehicle before laying down a wax, make sure all road grime is off the car first to avoid the swirls.
I agree with this! 110%

PLEASE do not take your new baby through a "Touch" car wash. Always hand wash your MDX yourself whether it be at home or use a pressure washer at a DIY car wash place.

I've seen some douchebag take his dirty ass lifted truck to one of these places... Even though my car was 4 or 5 behind, it still got swirl marks galore...

If all else fails, I sometimes take it to the real "Touchless" car wash located at certain gas stations that have them. Kinda hard to find but from my experience Chevron seems to have them.

hnr949 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanH2 View Post
So much to learn bro. I used to be a Meguiar's Quik Wax guy and have generally been happy with it. I thought the stuff I bought would do it but I guess I need one more. I'm leaning towards the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (pure synthetic hydrophobic wax).
Just a heads-up for you: The Ultimate Liquid Wax, as you already pointed out, is a synthetic wax and may not adhere properly to your sealant.

If you want something just as a topper for your sealant to take the look to the next level, look for a high-quality carnauba wax like Blackfire's Midnight Sun, P21S, or similar.
2011 Acura MDX Advance, Crystal Black Pearl over Umber (SOLD)
2010 Acura TSX V6 Tech, Crystal Black Pearl over Ebony (SOLD)
2009 Acura MDX Tech, Billet Silver Metallic over Ebony (SOLD)
jsilas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #39 (permalink)

what would you suggest I was the car with in the spring? I'm open to all suggestions. Any preferences?
88' Volvo 240 - 445,000 mi.
07' Civic Si - Sold
02' Black MDX (totaled by a deer in PA)
Susquehanna University Alumni
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
what would you suggest I was the car with in the spring? I'm open to all suggestions. Any preferences?
I don't really change my wash products by season. If the car is really dirty, I'll do multiple foam baths followed by 2-bucket-method washes. If the car is minimally dirty and I'm just doing maintenance washing, I use Optimum No-Rinse.
2011 Acura MDX Advance, Crystal Black Pearl over Umber (SOLD)
2010 Acura TSX V6 Tech, Crystal Black Pearl over Ebony (SOLD)
2009 Acura MDX Tech, Billet Silver Metallic over Ebony (SOLD)
jsilas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #41 (permalink)

ok, what would you suggest for wax?
88' Volvo 240 - 445,000 mi.
07' Civic Si - Sold
02' Black MDX (totaled by a deer in PA)
Susquehanna University Alumni
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #42 (permalink)

So I just invested in a black fire kit from autogeek.net. I washed it tonight and pulled 'er into the garage so I can begin the long process in the morning. The plan is:
Clay bay, wash again (to remove detailer from claying) polish, seal, leave overnight and wax Sunday morning.

Any concerns about the quick detailer getting on the plastic trim while using the clay bar?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbnole View Post
So I just invested in a black fire kit from autogeek.net. I washed it tonight and pulled 'er into the garage so I can begin the long process in the morning. The plan is:
Clay bay, wash again (to remove detailer from claying) polish, seal, leave overnight and wax Sunday morning.

Any concerns about the quick detailer getting on the plastic trim while using the clay bar?
From what i've heard about the black fire kit, thats really good stuff

But to answer your question, if the quick detailer is detail spray for example, you shouldnt worry about getting it on the trim, if anything its actually okay. But if its a black fire product, (im not too familier with those products) looking at the instructions might say its ok or not
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #44 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to littleazn248
My recommendations are

Sealant: Chemical Guys Jet Seal
Wax: Pete's 53
Polish: Chemical Guys V-Series polishes
Glaze/AIO: Chemical Guys Black Light

So far I've had pretty good luck with their products on my starlight silver 04 mdx. There products work great on my 2012 Carbon Steel Grey GTI as well.

My procedure is

1. Two Bucket wash with third bucket for wheels only. All buckets have Grit Guards
2. Dry car (sheet water, blow dry and pat dry with thick MF towel)
3. Clay bar
4. Polish
5. AIO Black Light 2 layers first layer by machine second by hand
6. Jet Seal (I've been using CG Blitz Sealant but, people seem to love Jet Seal)
7. Pete's 53 2 layers.

Results:

_MG_0894

This was a couple months ago so both cars definitely need a detail again. I hate detailing the mdx due to the size though.
littleazn248 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: