First time car washer seeking tips. - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

A quick note: if you have minerals in your well water (hard water), this system filters great:
Mr. Clean Mr. Clean
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum
Start reading.
Personally, I use Optimum No Rinse carwash and then i use Wolfgang Spritz sealant. No scratches or marring. I live in a condo so use of a hose is limited.
Ten15Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think it came out all right.

2001 Acura MDX
sgtglok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten15Magnet View Post
Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum
Start reading.
Personally, I use Optimum No Rinse carwash and then i use Wolfgang Spritz sealant. No scratches or marring. I live in a condo so use of a hose is limited.
+1

I am an Optimum No Rinse convert. This stuff is unbelievable. I have been using it for about 6 months now.
1998 Toyota 4Runner
wantsti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

I still can't get over how much faster it is to wash the MDX with Optimum No Rinse than with the typical hose setup.
Ten15Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011BlackUbmMDX View Post
3. Select wash with soup and start spraying with high pressure for about 3 minutes.
4. Select rinse and start spraying with high pressure for another 3 minutes.
5. Drive home and use your favorite micro fiber towel and dip it in water with soap and squeeze the towel to get the water out as much as you can and start wiping off water spots on the car.
I'm glad this technique has worked for you, but I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. In my experience, a wash and rinse with a high-pressure wand leaves a car looking pretty clean, but not actually clean enough to start rubbing anything on the finish.

By the way, does chicken soup or beef soup work better?
lion9mdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

I'm not sure what the pictures are showing us. Is it just that you washed your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtglok View Post
I think it came out all right.

Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
I'm not sure what the pictures are showing us. Is it just that you washed your car?
Yep, nice and shiny. But it can be very confusing I know.
2001 Acura MDX
sgtglok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

I personally love the old hose and bucket setup. a couple good wash mitts and off you go. I like to wash fully once with one of the mitts then do it all over again with a clean bucket of water using the 2nd mitt. Dry it then use a quick detailing wax currently using the turtle wax ice stuff, it helps keep the shine between waxes which i tend to do every two months with the MDX, the M3 is a whole new ball game I wax that thing once a month wash once a week regardless if it needs it or not.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

This guide will get you going
How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car – Detailed Image
nctuan03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

If you really want to learn post up on detailedbiss.com
jsf721 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #27 (permalink)

Learned a lot of stuff from this thread. Now, I'm wondering, what do you guys use to clean your leather seats (That will prolong the life of the leather) and panels? How many times do we have to use the cleaner in a year?
Jay0989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #28 (permalink)

Agree with the above poster, i learned a lot too from this post. I was running all round various boards, youtube videos and blogs, finally the people who have been real hands on with the X have contributed to my knowledge base.

Some pointers i realized and plan to work with in the future, I will need your advice in this if i am wrong.

1. Never to use shampoo that comes with a wax.
2. Shampoo + conditioner is the best combination, I picked up a Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner, and it did a pretty good job.
3. Mine is a brand new car, hardly 20 days old, i guess you dont need to wax your call either with Zaino or any other wax/spray for the first year.
4. After an year its always best to wax two times a year 1. before the summer kicks in, and 2. right before the winter starts tormenting with snow, this will prepare the car for the harshest season.
5. After an year, get the Zaino kit.
6. Get a mild Pressure Washer with a wide shower nozzle, brands like Karcher with lower PSI's, around 500 PSI to 1000 PSI does a fine job with a wider nozzle shower.
7. For shampooing the car Pressure Washer Foam Cannon HP Kit is awesome.

I took my X for the manual car wash for the first time yesterday.. and it was not as hard as i thought it would be in the first place. It took me around 40 mins to clean the entire thing. But inside it felt good, knowing that i cleaned the car the proper way, the way it should be, and there she was as shiny as i saw her the first time in the show room.

Now a few questions from my side.
1. Whats the right order to use Zaino for a new MDX? I mean, there are multiple products in the market, I've read few ppl use all of the products at the same time during each detailing session, however i think for a new car, all that is not required.. so.. can you please guide.
2. Whats the best product for your leather seats?
3. What do you use for cleaning tires and the chrome rim?
4. Whats good for cleaning the interior leather (other than the seats) *I brought the Meguiar's Supreme Shine Protectant*, havent used it yet, not sure if it will make the leather too much shiny and off.
MANswers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #29 (permalink)

I hate to bring this up because there seem to be a lot of Zano lovers. But it is older technology and a lot more steps and products than you need to get the same or better results. Before you buy or do anything get an education. I suggest visiting these sites to learn
Autopia-care care.com
Detailing bliss forum
Live2detail

There are others but these should be a good start. I started years ago looking for a way to keep my 2008 new black infinity swirl free. It takes time but you can get professional results if you care to spend the time to learn.

Lots of good products and the key difference is price and durability. Price is not always indicative of quality so go slow and ask questions.

Happy detailing.
jsf721 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay0989 View Post
Learned a lot of stuff from this thread. Now, I'm wondering, what do you guys use to clean your leather seats (That will prolong the life of the leather) and panels? How many times do we have to use the cleaner in a year?
I have been using Leatherique from here,

Leather Products | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

but may try some of the more cost effective options. My leather is in pretty good shape. I clean and moisturize the seats about every two-three washes.

My 28 month old is pretty good about not spilling snacks in the car. An she has never spilled a liquid (knock on wood) in there. She knows how much I like to keep both cars clean already.

As for what jsf721 was saying about the Zaino products and their followers I agree. They do have some nice products, but living in NJ their ordering process is cumbersome, and with sites like Detailedimage.com, autogeek.net, where you can discuss products with members on the forums before buying not to mention Amazon.com especially if you have Prime it's just easier to order.

I am a big Klasse user. Seals the paint, wheels, plastic pieces, and windows.

I think what you need to decide is how much time you will have not just for washing the X, but also for applying protection. A traditional carnauba wax(weeks) will not last as long some of acrylic polymer sealants (months). I also find most sealants to be more cost effective. Some people think that acrylic sealants give the car a less warm glow, but you can always layer a good spray wax over any acrylic sealant. I do.

Check out the link
Carnauba Car Wax vs. Paint Sealants, carnauba wax reviews, paint sealant reviews

Current- 1998 Black Currant Accord EX 4dr 4cyl- KYB GR2 Struts/H&R Sport Springs/Ingalls Camber kit / 17x7 Black Reaction Fuji Wheels

Previous- 1991 Black Accord LX- OEM 95 Accord EX wheels / Apex'i WS2 Exhaust / Cold Air Intake / Eibach Sportline springs / Neuspeed strut bar

pr3rak77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: