Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Zaino Help/Tips/Tricks Thread

92K views 207 replies 71 participants last post by  kgb 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Beige_MDX,

You must look like a tree! :D And Worm, if you're in Atlanta this weekend, I've got the Zaino (or should soon) :)

#4 ·
Atlanta:

I assume this is your first attempt at Zaino. Just a few words of advice. Use very little, and let it dry. These two things are the keys to Zaino, IMOHO.

Again, Ed's two step Zaino tip...

1. USE VERY LITTLE
2. LET IT DRY

I know these tips have been mentioned before, but they are SOOO important! Your results will be great.

Ed

#5 ·
Philly,

It will be my first time with Zaino. I appreciate the tips. I plan to print out all the threads just to make sure I do everything right. I haven't actually received the Zaio yet, so I probably won't get it now until sometime next week.

#7 ·
Good point, Canson.

I personally did not like the Zaino applicator. I used a small cotton washcloth. The threads on application are very helpful, as I printed them out and used them.

Atlanta:

If you have any specific questions, PM me and I can give you my experiences.

Ed

#8 ·
I too did not like the Zaino applicator. Instead, I removed the sponge from the applicator and now it seams to work better. I love the way Zaino makes the X shine. Seams like you don't have to wash the X as often with the Zaino

#10 ·
Since I haven't had time to put another coat of Zaino on in about 3-4 months, I can at least spend some time posting another tip! :D

I've found that the best way to put multiple coats on during one weekend, is to put a quick coat on Friday or Saturday night, then wake up the next morning wipe down and immediately put another one on and remove . That way you can get multiple coats on without tying up your car all day.

#11 ·
phillyflyer said:
...Ed's two step Zaino tip...

1. USE VERY LITTLE
2. LET IT DRY
Ed
Those are good ones. Canson and I traded some awhile back re: this. There are a couple of habits/urges you have to avoid:

- This is NOT wax. If you see it going on, it's too thick. A good way to apply is a couple of squirts of z6 on the applicator, then draw an 'X' with the Zaino, with each line of the X about the width/size of a strand of spaghetti. That amount is sufficient for the hood+front fenders, then again for front+rear doors (each side), then again for both rear fenders+hatch. You'll see it haze when it dries.

- You've gotta be patient and let it dry completely, else you end up with streaks. I'm still too impatient because I want to see the shine sooo bad. The finger-swipe test mentioned on the Zaino site works. If you're not patient and you smear it, you can either wipe down with a damp cloth or rewash with z7. Do NOT use z6 if it's smeared; it'll only make it worse.

#12 ·
A couple of questions:

When you say draw an "X", are you talking about the Z1? Draw an X on the applicator or on the surface of the car (I assume you mean the applicator)

Time is an issue for me because we have an outside watering ban that requires early morning (not me) or late night (more likely) washing. If I Wash, Clay, and Z1/Z5, and let it sit over night, can I drive it the next day before applying the Z6?

I'm thinking Dawn, Claybar (Z18), Z7, Z1, Z5, Z6, Z5, Z6, Z2, Z6

Should I drive at all during this process? If not I'll have to settle for a single z5 and z2.

Finally, do you end with z2, or do you use z6 or z7 as the last step?

Thanks for the info.

TheWorm said:
- This is NOT wax. If you see it going on, it's too thick. A good way to apply is a couple of squirts of z6 on the applicator, then draw an 'X' with the Zaino, with each line of the X about the width/size of a strand of spaghetti. That amount is sufficient for the hood+front fenders, then again for front+rear doors (each side), then again for both rear fenders+hatch. You'll see it haze when it dries.

- You've gotta be patient and let it dry completely, else you end up with streaks. I'm still too impatient because I want to see the shine sooo bad. The finger-swipe test mentioned on the Zaino site works. If you're not patient and you smear it, you can either wipe down with a damp cloth or rewash with z7. Do NOT use z6 if it's smeared; it'll only make it worse.

#13 ·
X on the applicator for all applications (z1/2/3/5); z6 sprays on car and z7 (which is the wash) goes in the bucket, of course).

OK to drive between coats, but the car has to be clean before the next, else you'll rub in dust dirt. You can Calif Car Dust or Z6 light dust, but not dirt.

Your steps look good. Always end with a z6 buff/detail (you don't have to, but it's the best shine). BTW, the z6 doesn't require any water -- it's just a squirt and wipe. The only app that requires water is the z7 wash. And keep in mind you're supposed to wait 8-24 hours after removing a coat for it to cure (doesn't count the z6, just the next z2/3/5). Exact time depends on humidity and temp.

#14 ·
Atlanta:

First, don't worry about washing your car today--even with your restrictions. Everyone in Duluth is over at the PGA championships.

With that in mind, some on this board have suggested leaving it on, say, overnight. While that certainlly allows sufficient drying time, those of us with Black (like you and me) should be rightfully concerned about overnight dust accumulation. Dust, in my mind, together with the Z2, Z6, whatever, will tend to leave swirl marks when you remove the dry Zaino.

Why not try your late night wash, followed by an early AM California dusting, then apply the Zaino: Z2 or Z5 depending on your need for swirl removal, finishing with Z6. Repeat as necessary, or as time permits with appropriate dry times in between. In this scenario you should be able to get 2 coats on the car in one day.

I finish with Z6 always, and I use Z6 after washes. Not sure what you meant by your comment about finishing with Z7. That is the car wash.

Ed

#15 ·
Right from the Zaino site:

Step7. After removeal of the Z2 or Z5 you should wait 24 hours if the temperature is under 70 or 6 hours if the temperature is over 70 degrees, before applying the next coat of Z2 or Z5.

Here is the reference for Zaino application:

http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm

Thanks Worm for your input. It made me look it up!

Ed

#16 ·
I am now a zianoholic all the way.
One question that bothers me..Can there be an occasional commercial car wash that one could go for? These commercial places normally use wax. Would this visit then compel surface repreparation with Dawn and Z1 again?
On long trips I normally go for a commercial car wash and also immediaetly on the return(as I get pretty tired by then) and feel uncomfortable having a dirty car in the garage.

#17 ·
If you must use the commercial carwash, and they do use wax, I'd do a quick Dawn wash to get it off before the next round of Zaino. You don't, however, need to re-do the Z1 as neither the carwash's wax nor the dawn will remove the zaino underneath.

FWIW the carwash's liquid wax probably will barely last through a regular hand wash anyway, but the quick dawn will make sure of it.

#18 ·
Here's an odd Zaino question - and one that our resident Zaino expert, TheWorm, will probably be unable to answer due to his geographic location:

What's it like trying to apply Zaino in cold weather?

I'm looking at Zaino'ing my new vehicle when it gets here in November - and so far, I'm not looking forward to it. I'm hoping for an unseasonably warm November here in NYC, but the chances of that are probably slim to none.

Anyone ever pull this off in cold weather? I will have the car inside my garage, with the door closed (but I think I'll hold off on running the engine) - but I'll still have to wash and dry the car outside, and of course, my garage is nowhere near heated.

#19 ·
Per the "Zaino Application Tips" (proabably a copy on their web site as well) it says "Zaino Car Polish works best at 60 degress or higher. However, it can be applied down to temperatures of 45 degress. It just will take much, much longer to dry. As much as 2 or 3 hours drying time is required if the temperature is 50 degrees or below."

#21 ·
mdxpdx said:
I know it used to be said that you need to wait a month before waxing a new car to allow the paint to harden. Is this still the case with modern paints? Or can I clay-bar the day I get the car?
Not necessary to wait (as in the past) with factory paints. You can start now. If you don't have the car yet, a great way to avoid scratches and swirls from the outset is to tell your dealer NOT to prep/wash/wax it and do it -- properly -- yourself. Unfortunately, I learned that lesson too late and had a ton of dealer-installed swirls.

#22 ·
Most of you guys recommend Zaino. One thing about it that keeps me wondering is: The Zaino z-2 is a "polish". From what I read during the years, a "polish" will strip a tiny layer of the paint off, thus "restoring" the original good-look of the paint underneath the oxidized layer now stripped away. On the contrary, waxes (not polishing waxes) will not do anything like that. I used both before on my old car. Whenever I used a "polish", I could see that the applicator pad surface was colored with my car's paint color. And if I used wax, only the wax's color was evident. Please help me solve this puzzle. Thanks!

#23 ·
There's no abrasive in any of the Zaino products, except for the glass polish.

I had heard/read that Sal Zaino couldn't think of anything else to call the product -- it's a polymer, not a wax, and as you mention "polish" connotes "abrasive", which it isn't. Maybe he shoulda checked out a Thesaurus for "shine" :)

BTW, Zaino won't restore anything (though it does protect and shine great) -- the paint has to be in good condition before using it. Otherwise, yes, you've gotta use an abrasive polish to restore the finish beforehand.

#24 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. One more thing that bugs me is that you guys and Zaino's faq recommend using Dawn dish washing liquid before using its z-??? car wash. Again, from what I've read, dish washing liquid is a no-no for washing a car. So, why the Dawn? Under what cirumstances do I have to use the Dawn and under what circumstances can I skip this step? And is Dawn the only recommended brand? And is there any particular type of Dawn I have to use (e.g. clear ones, lemon-scented ones)? A lot of questions here and I thank you for your patience and help.

#25 ·
Repeated use of Dawn or any other dishwashing (or, non-car-wash) detergent IS bad for your paint.

However, the first (and only) Dawn wash is to remove the original coat(s) of wax that you (or your dealer) put on the car, so you start with an unadulterated finish. Polymers should be put on paint, not on top of wax that's on paint.

It's a one-time thing.

Blue Dawn is the one I've always seen recommended. You can use any of the stuff with grease-cutting ability (which I assume is what takes off the wax, too) but not with hand softeners or Aloe or anything else.

#26 ·
Worm, KCL,

Dawn actually won't harm the paint. From the http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm :

"3. I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint. Just use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free.

I don't advise making a habit of washing your car with Dawn. But for this scenario it's fine. High alkaline products like Dawn are tough on polishes. It will never harm the paint finish though. A car wash is made specifically to clean without removing durable polishes. ALSO, Make sure you remove any water spots, before you apply my products. Because Zaino has no abrasives or harsh solvents it will not remove water spots or stains. Z-18 ClayBar is great for removing any paint surface contaminants. Re-wash the entire vehicle with Z-7 Car Wash immediately after the ClayBar
Cleaning Process."

However, using Dawn and then letting contaminants attack your unprotected finish--your paint will definitely get 'hurt'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.