cleaning the Steering wheel - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-16-2005, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

cleaning the Steering wheel

I just wonder what to use to clean my leather steering wheel, the regular leather cleaner made it slippery and regular cleaner maybe damage the leather with the time. So what to use? Any suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2005, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: cleaning the Steering wheel

Quote:
Originally posted by Orgen1
I just wonder what to use to clean my leather steering wheel, the regular leather cleaner made it slippery and regular cleaner maybe damage the leather with the time. So what to use? Any suggestions?
Farnum's Leather New is good. So are the Lexol products. There are numerous imports that are excellent.

G
Old 05-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Re: Re: cleaning the Steering wheel

Quote:
Originally posted by G. COLTON

Farnum's Leather New is good. So are the Lexol products. There are numerous imports that are excellent.

G
I have the Lexol products, both the cleaner and the conditioner. I am concerned that the wheel won't become slippery. (It does a good job on the seats.) Would I use it on the whole wheel; is the whole wheel leather?

Any concerns???
Old 05-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cleaning your steering wheel

The center portion (where the airbag and horn is) is not leather, it is vinyl. Generally speaking, if you are having trouble differentiating which interior surfaces are which, leather is softer and often has stitching. Additionally, if you are using Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner correctly, it should not leave any type of greasy residue. Your skin leaves more slippery, greasy stuff behind than Lexol. If there is any residual after conditioning just go back and wipe it down with a clean cotton towel.

First it is crucial to understand that leather care is a two step/ two product process, cleaning then conditioning. Also, leather care is the only type of maintenance that should actually be performed in direct sunlight. The heat helps relax the leather and open the pores making it easier to release dirts and more thirsty to accept condtioner. Vacuum any dirt out of the seams and crevices before starting.

Here is what I do when I clean all my leather including the steering wheel:

Materials: Lexol Leather Cleaner, small bucket 1/2 filled with water, bug sponge (one of those sponges with the soft nylon mesh over it), clean terry towel.

1) Dip your sponge into the water and then squeeze out most of it, you only want it moist, not dripping.

2) Spray a small amount of Lexol Cleaner onto one side of the sponge. You won't need very much as the moisture in the sponge will help distribute the product.

3) Working on one section at a time, gently scrub the leather and generate a good lather. Use at least 15 strokes per section or continue until the leather no longer appears shiny after you wipe it dry. Clean leather should have a matte/non-glossy appearance.

4) Once you have finished with that section, wipe it dry with your terry towel and then dip your sponge into the bucket and wring out any accumulated soil. Then repeat for the next section.

5) Areas like the steering wheel, shifter, and armrests will usually require more thorough scrubbings as they are most often exposed to body oils, sweat and dirts.

Next, conditioning:

Materials: Lexol Leather Conditioner, cotton or terry covered sponge/applicator (a small cotton towel would work also), a clean terry towel to wipe away any excess.

1) Spray the conditioner onto the applicator and, working one section at a time, massage the conditioner into warm leather.

2) Allow that soak and penetrate for a few minutes, move onto the next section and then come back and wipe away any remaining residue with the clean terry towel. You may actually find that your clean leather has soaked it all in and could benefit from a second application.

Leather Care Schedule:
Clean at least every 6 months.
Condition every 3 months.
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
The center portion (where the airbag and horn is) is not leather, it is vinyl. Generally speaking, if you are having trouble differentiating which interior surfaces are which, leather is softer and often has stitching. Additionally, if you are using Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner correctly, it should not leave any type of greasy residue. Your skin leaves more slippery, greasy stuff behind than Lexol. If there is any residual after conditioning just go back and wipe it down with a clean cotton towel.

First it is crucial to understand that leather care is a two step/ two product process, cleaning then conditioning. Also, leather care is the only type of maintenance that should actually be performed in direct sunlight. The heat helps relax the leather and open the pores making it easier to release dirts and more thirsty to accept conditioner. Vacuum any dirt out of the seams and crevices before starting.

Here is what I do when I clean all my leather including the steering wheel:

Materials: Lexol Leather Cleaner, small bucket 1/2 filled with water, bug sponge (one of those sponges with the soft nylon mesh over it), clean terry towel.

1) Dip your sponge into the water and then squeeze out most of it, you only want it moist, not dripping.

2) Spray a small amount of Lexol Cleaner onto one side of the sponge. You won't need very much as the moisture in the sponge will help distribute the product.

3) Working on one section at a time, gently scrub the leather and generate a good lather. Use at least 15 strokes per section or continue until the leather no longer appears shiny after you wipe it dry. Clean leather should have a matte/non-glossy appearance.

4) Once you have finished with that section, wipe it dry with your terry towel and then dip your sponge into the bucket and wring out any accumulated soil. Then repeat for the next section.

5) Areas like the steering wheel, shifter, and armrests will usually require more thorough scrubbings as they are most often exposed to body oils, sweat and dirts.

Next, conditioning:

Materials: Lexol Leather Conditioner, cotton or terry covered sponge/applicator (a small cotton towel would work also), a clean terry towel to wipe away any excess.

1) Spray the conditioner onto the applicator and, working one section at a time, massage the conditioner into warm leather.

2) Allow that soak and penetrate for a few minutes, move onto the next section and then come back and wipe away any remaining residue with the clean terry towel. You may actually find that your clean leather has soaked it all in and could benefit from a second application.

Leather Care Schedule:
Clean at least every 6 months.
Condition every 3 months.
WOW, I have been in the vinyl and leather repair business for 10 years and I could not have said it better myself!! Morph, are you in the business as well??
Old 05-31-2006, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

cvyluv,
Thanks for backing me up!

I've been in the detailing business for the past 10 years.
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I've been in the detailing business for the past 10 years.
That would explain it......
Old 08-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Smile

", if you are using Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner correctly, it should not leave any type of greasy residue. Condition every 3 months."[/QUOTE]

I use Lexol products to detail my leather seats. However, when I recently called the company, they indicated that they DO NOT recommend they be used on the steering wheel, due to possible problems with becoming slippery or tacky.

I just brought my MDX to a detail shop and asked them what they woul do to "repair" my leather steering wheel. They indicated that due to the discoloration on the wheel, they would also have to die the leather to get it to a "new condition". Their cost to "repair" the wheel is $45, and I think I will have it done next week.

What do you guys think? Comments are welcomed.

Last edited by lester123; 08-23-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo
lester123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester123 View Post
", if you are using Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner correctly, it should not leave any type of greasy residue. Condition every 3 months."
I use Lexol products to detail my leather seats. However, when I recently called the company, they indicated that they DO NOT recommend they be used on the steering wheel, due to possible problems with becoming slippery or tacky.

I just brought my MDX to a detail shop and asked them what they woul do to "repair" my leather steering wheel. They indicated that due to the discoloration on the wheel, they would also have to die the leather to get it to a "new condition". Their cost to "repair" the wheel is $45, and I think I will have it done next week.

What do you guys think? Comments are welcomed.[/QUOTE]

any one have the leather dyed?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just used white vinegar and water 50/50 to clean leather seats and steering wheel, it worked great for me.
mughal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

baby wipes

I use baby wipes. Since my son was a baby we keep a container of baby wipes in the car. Now that he is well past the age of diapers we still keep some in the car at all times because they come in very handy. I prefer the Huggies brand as the towels are strong and the solution they use is easy on the skin. When the wheel gets noticeably dirty I just pull out a wipe and scrub the wheel clean. It comes clean and the wipes leave some sort of lotion on the wheel. The lotion is not slippery. While I am there I also use the wipe to clean the driver side door handle and arm rest. I avoid using it on the fake wood since it leaves an unsightly film behind.

07 MDX sport
07 Specialized Tarmac
09 Brompton M3L-X
09 Ritchey Breakaway/SRAM Force
adr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: